SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

Thanks for the replies,

Yes I never thought of the IWG plumbed into DP causing the flow issues.

Either way, I will install a cutout valve in my Downpipe so It should solve the flow issues. Was thinking otherwise I have to go 4" exhaust like GTSoy said.

Geoff, yeah you guys have been great through my build (also ran a 7163). I am concerned about running EWG as both space and heat are an issue for me. This is a dedicated track car (more time attack) now and only at Sepang F1 Circuit which sees 52 degrees °C track temp.. I have seen a few EWG struggle with heat due to placement in Evo X. I would much prefer an exhaust cut out in downpipe over twin EWG setup. for my IWG I have never had an issue holding boost flat up top.

I recently changed to the 4 port boost control and twin port IWG turbosmart unit (which got me the 2bar @ 3,90rpm in 4th gear) and holds flat to 8000rpm.  to be fair I have slightly different gear ratios to a stock EVO (sequential 6 speed)

Shooting for 650whp (on a mainline) with the next round of tuning.

Rob

hi rob,

I agree with your decisions here.  For my personal projects, I prefer IWG for the exact reasons you outlined.  The Exhaust cutout near to the turbo will help.  But be careful to choose a high quality cutout (i have seen many fail).  also you may find 3.5" is suitable and 4" does not offer any benefit

Of course the 4b11T is backpressure sensitive so the 4 port solenoid with a twin port IWG is a good way to get boost where you want it.  Long term I believe the electronic stepper actuators may prove to be an ideal control system 

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

Hey guys, I have a EFR 9280 with a 1.45 a/r exhaust side. I have a RB26/30 block with Hypertune cam covers in a R32 GTR. What manifold are you guys running that fits this turbo on this car? I'm currently talking to Full-Race but it is not clear if the exhaust side will clear. Jon said that some modification might need to be done to the cam covers, which is not acceptable to me. Any ideas?

Edited by minesskyline

On 4/6/2020 at 6:40 PM, Robo said:

8374 , my setup is sleeved block 2.2ltr (4 cyl obviously) with direct port meth injection, sequential 6 speed, head work, oversized valves and makes over 600awhp on a mainline dyno  peak power is 8500rpm and I get 2 bar of boost by 3,900rpm in 4th gear. Car weighs 1280kg after stripping it (with roll cage) and being built for Sepang F1 circuit.

49689352177_62f38b9c54_z.jpg

what boost pressure? did you have at peak '600awhp' power

On 4/15/2020 at 9:02 PM, RICE RACING said:

what boost pressure? did you have at peak '600awhp' power

Hey there,

I had exactly 2.0bar, it was completely flat all the way across the upper rpm range. This peak was at 8,500rpm where we stopped the run.

in other news, I have just finished my side cutout in downpipe:

49788614272_46888f41a6_z.jpg

49788614367_f9d185857c_z.jpg

Edited by Robo

52 minutes ago, Robo said:

Hey there,

I had exactly 2.0bar, it was completely flat all the way across the upper rpm range. This peak was at 8,500rpm where we stopped the run.

Thanks for that ;)

oh be careful with those type of flex joints, customer of mine had one fail in his car a few weeks ago they collapse in on them selves to about 1/2 the normal diameter under sustained load at high heat.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:21 PM, RICE RACING said:

Thanks for that ;)

oh be careful with those type of flex joints, customer of mine had one fail in his car a few weeks ago they collapse in on them selves to about 1/2 the normal diameter under sustained load at high heat.

Thanks for the heads up,

This one is double layered and has been on there for over 4 years now, will inform the workshop.

Rob

On 4/14/2020 at 2:53 PM, minesskyline said:

Hey guys, I have a EFR 9280 with a 1.45 a/r exhaust side. I have a RB26/30 block with Hypertune cam covers in a R32 GTR. What manifold are you guys running that fits this turbo on this car? I'm currently talking to Full-Race but it is not clear if the exhaust side will clear. Jon said that some modification might need to be done to the cam covers, which is not acceptable to me. Any ideas?

here is a photo of the 1.45 a/r EFR9280 on our manifold installed in R34. I do not know for fact - but I suspect R34 RB26 valve covers may have more clearance than R32/R33 

RB20 valve covers may fit also (a friend installed them on his 26, looks really cool actually) and smaller than RB26

rb30-26-9280H-1.jpg

rb30-26-9280H-2.jpg

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

24 minutes ago, Full-Race Geoff said:

here is a photo of the 1.45 a/r EFR9280 on our manifold installed in R34. I do not know for fact - but I suspect R34 RB26 valve covers may have more clearance than R32/R33 

RB20 valve covers may fit also (a friend installed them on his 26, looks really cool actually) and smaller than RB26

rb30-26-9280H-1.jpg

rb30-26-9280H-2.jpg

Thanks for that. I have Hypertune cam covers, so not sure if the dimensions on these are smaller or not, but I know they are lower. Aren't the position of the shocks different than a R32 GTR? Would Full-Race be willing to allow me to return the manifold if it doesn't fit? I asked Jon this question but I haven't received a response yet.

Edited by minesskyline

On 4/18/2020 at 10:27 PM, Robo said:

Hey there,

49788614367_f9d185857c_z.jpg

Thanks Rob,

We are going to slap on one of these 8374 Full Race kits to a built 2.2 on EVOX, not going for internet records just increase the specific power while keeping some response, will let you know how it goes ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It's a fun street machine. A handful but fun. Have to give credit to the shops how worked on it and the tuner. Also the awesome Full-Race kit...only thing I did was pick the parts and pay the bills. 

On 04/05/2020 at 10:44 PM, jshimer23 said:

Finishing up a RB3026 build with Full Race 6258 twins setup. Kelford 272 cams, 4.375 gears.

Green line is E85 and 28psi. Red line is pump 93 and 20psi.

Any idea where the little dip from 4,4-4,6k rpm comes from?

• 2 weeks later...

Making 50% of max power by 4500, that's amazing.  Tempting me to switch from my 8474 to twin 6258s

Is anybody able to take measurements of the EFR9280 compressor, I'm seeing if I have enough clearance on my engine to run and test it compared to the 9180 which I have on me which fit fine on a 6boost T4 in a R33 GTR engine bay

Edited by RB335