SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

trust me you arent alone... in early november I had the conversation that the one site is getting updates and they did not realize it, in fact they were using turbos.bwauto.com 

unfortunately this type of confusion can happen when there are 12,000+ employees spread across the planet with IT in germany, engineering in north Carolina, Corporate in michigan and billing somwhere else. all part of the fun & games in our automotive aftermarket industry.  too big to ignore, too small to dedicate real resources to.

On 1/9/2020 at 6:59 AM, Full-Race Geoff said:

+1

done this a number of times on different applications.  The results are typically what you would expect, bigger AR makes more power, appears to spool identically (on the dyno).  on the street it loses response

Some tuners who claim this do not have enough data to work from, or a lack of understanding (or both).  Backpressure and shaft speed + EGT are critical links in understanding the system.  If they are disappointed in the max power result then its probably an issue with the setup or the turbo is too small.

The larger inducer EFR 9280 certainly does move more air.  and Peter may be pleasantly surprised with the 9280.  I felt the same in many instances, but so far it appears to be delivering 

What data do you have and what tests have you done with a 9280? 

Edited by RB335

RB30 + 9180 + Sequential

955bhp ... must be engine hp as he has 1000cc injectors and one pump so that implies 98 fuel... surely not atw right?

Goes hard but doesn't seem to be that much faster than mine

These guys do some silly stuff on public roads

• Like 2

I didn’t watch the video I just assumed,

uk dyno their cars at the wheels then make up some number that it makes at the fly wheel usually in lots of 50s and use that number to state what power it makes 

• Like 3

On 15/01/2020 at 12:45 PM, r32-25t said:

I didn’t watch the video I just assumed,

uk dyno their cars at the wheels then make up some number that it makes at the fly wheel usually in lots of 50s and use that number to state what power it makes 

... they also rip on US dynos for "reading high" yet come out with stuff like this, claiming 800+hp from setups which just can't make that kind of power - then post times which don't match the power and make a bunch of excuses.  I remember when they had a couple of serious drag Skyline builds where they were making big power claims but not running as quick as lads down under they even went so far as to claim the drag strips were downhill here and if they ran here they'd be faster lol

45 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Is that a trick question?

No , you have a bloke saying he has 955hp car in the UK on 98 

Fatz said he has the same , I asked,   on what fuel ? 

I think 955hp on 98 with the UK  setup is BS?‍♂️

But I am asking FATZ , a bloke with much more knowledge than I have a question 

The only way to learn anything is ask questions, I  work on the assumption that “ there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers” 

33 minutes ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

No , you have a bloke saying he has 955hp car in the UK on 98 

Fatz said he has the same , I asked,   on what fuel ? 

I think 955hp on 98 with the UK  setup is BS?‍♂️

But I am asking FATZ , a bloke with much more knowledge than I have a question 

The only way to learn anything is ask questions, I  work on the assumption that “ there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers” 

You have been lured in by the man's satirical comment. He does not have that many horsepowers

Yea I don’t have 950Hp

more like 400rwkw

but my shit heap needs two external pumps 2000cc injectors and e85 to do that shit at 21psI

lol

im sure if I was dumb enough to run 28psi I might have 460rwkw at which point I’ll have 950hp like mr uk... lol except my imaginary 460kw would be faster than his 950

either way internet videos make me laugh and that was a cracker... mainly cause the f**ker in the passenger seat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Full-Race Geoff said:

people also think dyno #s = drag times.  but fail to realize that gearing, chassis, tire setup, track prep and launch specifics matter quite a lot...

think more important would be lap times cause that typically sorts the “good” turbos from the junk

but measuring that is difficult

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

You have been lured in by the man's satirical comment. He does not have that many horsepowers

Yeah ?

,Paul already laughed at me for believing Fatz’s  Pisstake comment ??

i am old but stil gullible ?‍♂️?

• Haha 1

I’m pretty fresh to SAU, I used to follow Supra forum pretty hard. I’ve read through this post from 70ish onwards. Very interesting results. 

I have a 3L Supra with GSC S2 cams (272ish), GSC Beehive springs, stainless valves, 9.5:1, all the good gear inside. Bottom end is for 1500hp.

ive has big turbos and want this next iteration to be a great street car. I’m thinking the 8474 with a progressive 400shot at the drags. 

Looking at Matchbot, the turbo is too small for the engine, then using logic my goals are a responsive turbo, so I guess that fits. 

My question is, will the 9280 be a responsive turbo On the 2JZ or is it a turbo more spec’d for racing where you can swap a cog or drag racing. 

I can’t find any 2JZ’s with the 8474... mostly they go Precision. I saw the 8374, which had a nice boost curve. 

comments welcome...

On 20/01/2020 at 10:14 AM, warin said:

I have a 3L Supra with GSC S2 cams (272ish), GSC Beehive springs, stainless valves, 9.5:1, all the good gear inside. Bottom end is for 1500hp.

ive has big turbos and want this next iteration to be a great street car. I’m thinking the 8474 with a progressive 400shot at the drags. 

Looking at Matchbot, the turbo is too small for the engine, then using logic my goals are a responsive turbo, so I guess that fits. 

Hey mate, sounds like a fun build :) Some pretty ambiguous or open to opinion comments in there so some background on what you've had and where you're coming from would help.

Your previous "big turbos" you've had, what are they are what kind of power have you made with them?   Is this the same engine spec as you used with them?   

It'd be good to quantify what an acceptably responsive turbo would be for you, and what "too small" means - as an EFR8474 should be fine on a 3litre depending on how much work you're expecting it to do.   What is the pre-nitrous power target?   

Also, a 400 shot of nitrous - I see you like to party.  You may need to be very sure you have enough hotside to support the inevitable exhaust gas flow which is going to result from this combo

Edited by Lithium