SAU Community

Japanese discussing r34 prices

Americans will pay unholy amounts for an R34. Whether the over inflation is from Fast and Furious, Need for Speed, or something else, there is no question that the buyers have quite a lot of disposable income. These cars are status symbols at this point. Those who bought theirs before the prices went moonshot really are lucky.

I wonder if it is just Americans - yet. There are clearly enough deep pockets in Europe and Middle East, and in Thailand and Malaysia, and wealthy Chinese kids in the big overseas student cities to explain much of the bubble to date.

Obviously there are also speculators and hoarders. Being an R34 enthusiast in Japan must suck to some extent as all the good examples are sucked right out of the country.

I dont really think it is only fast furious paul walker. For me it was gran turismo, then seeing r32s race at bathurst etc. That, plus the mean japan era look that for various reasons will never be reproduced in modern car design language. what does it say when a 22 year old car design looks meaner most of anything contemporary, short of some supercars ?

while prices are silly and something odd and speculative is going on, long term good examples will remain highly collectible along with NSX, certain early Datsuns and toyotas.

24 minutes ago, Predator1 said:

I've noticed alot of the yanks(it seems) swap out their 25 cam covers for 26 covers. They might as well stick a GTR front bumper and slap on a GTR sticker.

I've used them with my 25/30 build.

IMO it has a better breather system and you can jam in some Mines baffles to improve it further.

1 minute ago, phelbas said:

The American thirst is real for sure.

What happens to prices when everyone "waiting for the Americans", or Americans "holding multiple cars in storage" decide to cash in.

Nothing, there is only a limited supply, which gets shorter as time passes.

Rust never sleeps.

The concern that these cars might go overseas is overblown, IMO. Japan has been re-importing 510s and S30s from the US for a while now as many of the clean chassis' still left are in desert states like Arizona. At the end of the day the vast majority of the stock is in the hands of private ownership in Japan. It's up to those owners whether they want to keep the car or sell it. Selling it necessarily implies that the car could go overseas, that's just the reality of seeking profit. If owners in Japan don't want to see the car exported they shouldn't sell their cars. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

4 hours ago, mlr said:

Excellent 

I see no downside to that at all.

Blasphemy 

post-75773-0-74233000-1371525285.jpeg

Wouldn't have used wrinkle black myself. I therefore don't like you or your car, and I feel strongly enough about it that I'm going to take the time to tell you.

/sarcasm #pleasebemyfriend