SAU Community

$400k for an R34 GTR?

PranK

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

While I tend to agree - The reason we like Corvettes is why Americans like Skylines... they don't have them.

I think a C6 Z06 with a 7 liter V8 and a manual is pretty peak car. But over there they're 'common', and a boosty boi R34 is more rare and appealing as a result.

Z06 LS7, YES PLEASE, I'll take an auto please.

I'm old and am enjoying LS slush box life.

Those Corvettes are legitimate weapons and sound boss when your on the loud pedal.

I cannot understand the yanks fascination with the old RB's, yes they were good, but compared to stuff that the yanks can get local for a typical price???????

Meh, the grass is aways greener.

14 hours ago, mlr said:

Z06 LS7, YES PLEASE, I'll take an auto please.

I'm old and am enjoying LS slush box life.

Those Corvettes are legitimate weapons and sound boss when your on the loud pedal.

I cannot understand the yanks fascination with the old RB's, yes they were good, but compared to stuff that the yanks can get local for a typical price???????

Meh, the grass is aways greener.

GM automatics are pretty horrendous in performance cars, they basically ruin the car so I don't know why you'd want one in something sporty. Corvettes are good to drive, but until the C7 the quality of stuff like interiors has always been somewhere between mediocre and horrendous. When a 350Z has better interior quality than a C5 Z06 things are bad. The C6 was similarly bad. Seats shouldn't rock back and forth on acceleration/braking. Every reviewer here for decades has had to grade GM cars on a curve, "good for GM". The C8 is the first car that doesn't have to be reviewed in the context of "good for GM". That's why people are not really hyping these cars up as the end all be all.

The audience for a 300k USD R34 GT-R has more in common with the air cooled 911 crowd than the average Corvette buyer.

6 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

GM automatics are pretty horrendous in performance cars, they basically ruin the car so I don't know why you'd want one in something sporty.

Because I like the casual drive an auto gives.

I loved manuals in small sporty cars, and I wouldn't use anything other than a manual on a circuit, but now I don't play race car driver anymore, I want something that is effortless to drive in traffic  and fun at the drags.

As for the autos giving horrendous performance, it depends on what you use it for, the old slush boxes are fairly reliable and robust, cheap to replace, and importantly, cheap to modify.

Stock, yes a slush box has some issues, but from my experience they come into their own with some minor modifications i.e shift kit, cooler, high stall.

And as an avid car abuser, they are cheap, how much does a DCT or CVT cost to replace.

A for around $5k you can get a slushbox that can hold over 1000hp.

They slush box seem to be working well in the new Zupra.

Meh, each to their own.

and years ago when I said GT-Rs will be six figure cars

everyone treated me like a looney, that's whats LOL.

now theyre a half a million dollar car simple

it will keep going up

there is not enough available to satisfy world demand and they are the most iconic street race car in world

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BakemonoRicer said:

and years ago when I said GT-Rs will be six figure cars

everyone treated me like a looney, that's whats LOL.

now theyre a half a million dollar car simple

it will keep going up

there is not enough available to satisfy world demand and they are the most iconic street race car in world

Whilst a clean low km original car may be worth bookoo coin the modified rust repaired variants will still be only 5 figure cars.

People will pay for clean OEM's, like every other classic, but modified is less desirable.

The yanks have over inflated the prices for these  cars because of their love of F&F, once the dust has settled, like every orher massed produced classic the price will stabilise.

The time now is the sellers market.

Remember the GTS, GTHO and Shelbey prices 10 years ago, what are they worth now?

Don't get dragged into to futures markets with cars unless they are "limited edition" type cars.

Meh, my VX SS is currently (apparently) worth 100% more than what I purchased it for.......LOL, luckily for me I have all the parts to return it to 100% stock, which is what people are looking for.

IRT my SS, It will be worth the sum of its parts when I'm finished with it because I use it like a dirty bitch.

LOL at the people who treat their cars as investments and don't truly enjoy them.

Do a maaaaaaaaaad skid for baby Jebus ya maaaaaaaaaaad karnts.

Lets race!

• Like 3

I, personally, can relate to all of this. I've owned my C5Z since 2012 and I've dumped way too much money into it to make it a beast of a street car (in my opinion), but most of the time I'd rather drive my relatively stock R33 25t. Now, I'm sure it has a lot to do with the novelty of this car; hell, I've only owned it since July. It has even more to do with the fact that Skylines were never available here in the US. Corvettes are commonplace for sure, even the C7Z. Right now, an early base model C5 can be had for around 10-12k. I paid nearly double that for my tired old R33, but I have no regrets at all. Totally worth it to me. I blame the hours spent playing Gran Turismo as a teenager...

Edited by LiteraCola
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, LiteraCola said:

I, personally, can relate to all of this. I've owned my C5Z since 2012 and I've dumped way too much money into it to make it a beast of a street car (in my opinion), but most of the time I'd rather drive my relatively stock R33 25t. Now, I'm sure it has a lot to do with the novelty of this car; hell, I've only owned it since July. It has even more to do with the fact that Skylines were never available here in the US. Corvettes are commonplace for sure, even the C7Z. Right now, an early base model C5 can be had for around 10-12k. I paid nearly double that for my tired old R33, but I have no regrets at all. Totally worth it to me. I blame the hours spent playing Gran Turismo as a teenager...

Drop some pics and a little story about your 2 beasties mate.

Or shoot a link to your build threads if you have them.

On 9/23/2020 at 7:18 AM, hardsteppa said:

The market is clearly telling the japanese auto industry what sort of cars they need to start building...90's classics.

Toyota employee: "A GTR 34 just sold for $400k! People must want Japanese 90's sports cars again"

Toyota management: "This means the market wants our greatest weapon. Release the Camry RZ!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, RedEmblem said:

Toyota employee: "A GTR 34 just sold for $400k! People must want Japanese 90's sports cars again"

Toyota management: "This means the market wants our greatest weapon. Release the Camry RZ!"

Or a phone call... "hello Subaru, this is Toyota, when will our new 86's be ready"

LOL at Toyota, their only 2 sporty cars are made by BMW or Subaru.

33 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

Yaris GR is the answer to your prayers

I bought a Yaris for my daughter

I believe the Yaris was only meant to be a car that fathers buy for their female offspring as a first car

• Like 1

On 25/09/2020 at 6:45 PM, mlr said:

I bought a Yaris for my daughter

I believe the Yaris was only meant to be a car that fathers buy for their female offspring as a first car

You obviously know nothing about the Yaris GR

I don't think the fact that it is a Yaris is a problem in itself. Well, except that the driving position of all cars in that segment is more "small bus" than "performance car". Too short, tall and upright for my preferences.

But as a goofy looking (as are all hatchy/SUV Toyotas at the moment) medium powered rally rocket..... props to them for doing it.

Keep in mind, the Celica GT4 was based on the most appropriate chassis in the Toyota fleet at the time. Most appropriate for the purpose of building a rally car homo special, anyway. The other cars in their fleet? MA70 Supra? Cressida? Corolla? None of those were a good choice for a 4WD conversion, for various reasons. Now? Yaris looks like Corolla looks like H-RV or whatever the f**k they call that shit looking shopping trolley. And on all levels, both the design of the platforms and the exterior looks. All Toyota had to do was decide what power level they wanted to work to and choose the appropriate weight chassis to start with. The product would have looked the same and performed the same, might have just needed a 2.0L engine.

Edited by GTSBoy

2 hours ago, BK said:

No, he obviously doesn't - THAT IT'S A $40000 YARIS ! Who in their right mind would...next batch is supposed to go for $50k+

Has the world gone mad ?

No, the world has gone desperate for more "driver orientated" cars. At a "reasonable" price tag. and is also "reasonably" practical.

FYI straight piped 3 cyclinders sound nuts, so these could sound pretty good.