SAU Community

$400k for an R34 GTR?

PranK

1 hour ago, BK said:

"Reasonably" shit by the sounds of it, just like the new Supra.

I have a B48 equipped car, doesn't sound good but goes hard.

Heard the B58 [I6] though? It sounds fine.

I think the angry Yaris will go the way of the Colt Ralliart but probably hold value for longer.

1 minute ago, Kinkstaah said:

New Supra is overdelivering on what it says on the box. Go get some tyres and a tune, go run a 10?
Cheaper than what it'd cost to do that in a Skyline...... or an old Supra ?

we'll see if it's still doing it in 20-30 years...

A BMW will definitely last 20-30 years.  Depends what you mean by "last" though.  If you mean as in if you spent $25000 replacing stupidly expensive BMW parts along the way then yes, it will definitely last!!!  Farked if I'd own a BMW outside of warranty!

• 3 weeks later...

Some price updates:

An m-spec Nur in rare Silica brass sold for 25.9m yen but it was grade R and had high km, panel repair, aftermarket fenders and various other issues.

JM Imports in UK is listing a Vspec2 Nur in millennium jade with just 400km for 330,000 ukp

A grade 5, 4000km v-spec ii nur went through auctions in Japan and fetched 30m yen

1 hour ago, niZmO_Man said:

I'd rather a 911 Turbo to be honest now, the allure of the GT-R is gone at those prices.

Porsche Coxter in one of the hot hot specs. Lotus Exige if not for the sudden addition of MCM tax. Or find a well looked after FC RX7?

4 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

I'd rather a 911 Turbo to be honest now, the allure of the GT-R is gone at those prices.

Purely based on car vs car, of course.

but the difference is price is driven by rarity. 911 Turbos are churned out every year, year in year out.

Even more desirable GT3s amount to nearly 30,000 units from 2001 to 2018

vs only 7000 total R34 GTRs that are not "just" base series 1 or series 2.

And only 3000 that are neither base OR v-spec I .. So you've got a few thousand to serve a global interest.

4 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

The R34 GT-R valuations, especially for the rare variants, have never been tethered to what the car actually is. Every time I look at the frame of an R34 Skyline it's very clear that it is basically the exact same thing as an R33 Skyline. What is actually remarkable is that you can see the progression of cost-cutting on the undercoating from R32 -> R33 -> R34 Skyline. The R34 has the least and has the same rust issues as the R33 but also the extra brackets on stuff like the carbon fiber diffuser is even worse for rustproofing and tend to be swiss cheese after 20 years. Effectively the main differences between the R33 and R34 are some bolt-on suspension arms/bushings, some chassis reinforcement pieces in places like the trunk floor, the divider between the rear seat and trunk, the base of the B pillar, etc. There's also the 6 speed Getrag, the slightly revised RB26 (different CAS, ball bearing ceramic turbos, smart coils, etc), and slightly improved HICAS logic. I doubt most people are really interested in keeping HICAS but if it matters enough it's probably possible to adapt the R34 HICAS controller over to an R33.

I'm sure this sounds like sour grapes but it's more like bewilderment because there seems to be an obvious backdoor to have a car that drives like the R34 GT-R but for much less money.

3 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

to be an obvious backdoor to have a car that drives like the R34 GT-R but for much less money.

I'm not totally sure but I think it ceased being about driving the car a long while ago at least at the silly money end. 

• 2 weeks later...

911 Turbo or bust for me at those prices. Don't care how many have been produced I'd buy it because it's the better car. GTR's were always the best car in their price point. It could hang with the big boys for a fraction of the cost but lets be realistic that's not the case anymore...  There was a crossover point where the GTR stopped being appreciated for what it really was and instead became a drag/wank/Paul Walker/youtuber/instagrammer car