SAU Community

Going for 500+hp, need advice

I got a R34 gtr rb26dett that is stock and would like to get to 500+hp without breaking the bank. I just came across these turbos https://www.ebay.com/itm/284159848565 Kinugawa turbos, are they something to go for? This is going to be a street car so it wont be driven very hard for long periodes of time.

Also wondering about the fuel pump, what do I need here?

Just got a set of Bosch 870cc injectors.

On 11/6/2021 at 5:26 PM, The Skyline Guy said:

I got a R34 gtr rb26dett that is stock and would like to get to 500+hp without breaking the bank. I just came across these turbos https://www.ebay.com/itm/284159848565 Kinugawa turbos, are they something to go for? This is going to be a street car so it wont be driven very hard for long periodes of time.

Also wondering about the fuel pump, what do I need here?

Just got a set of Bosch 870cc injectors.

As a general rule, my recommendation is always to look at the torque curve first and decide what you want there. Chasing power numbers as the goal instead of what happens to fall out at the end can easily end poorly.

• Like 1

If you can afford a GT-R you can afford not to use eBay turbos / an eBay turbo.

Convert to a single turbo, twin are aids.

Also your injectors are already too small, just straight out get Bosch 1650cc (they're actually 1480 but everyone calls them 1650, Part No. 0280158333).

• Like 3

500hp(Assuming atw), is only 350~awkw.  Doubt the stock turbo's would take that reliably. Whatever you do, make sure you leave some headroom for future, cos you will get used to the power, and want more. Dont skimp out on your turbo. Save your money till you can afford something decent.

On 11/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, Predator1 said:

500hp(Assuming atw), is only 350~awkw.  Doubt the stock turbo's would take that reliably. Whatever you do, make sure you leave some headroom for future, cos you will get used to the power, and want more. Dont skimp out on your turbo. Save your money till you can afford something decent.

While this is generally speaking good advice, it's also worth considering whether you will get into the endless cycle of more power for the feeling of more power. Philosophically I think it's a waste of time to try and build these cars for huge power when there are so many more platforms including the R35 that are just so much easier and cheaper to make power with. Hell, why even bother when a Model S Plaid needs no mods to set a 9.25 second quarter mile?

On 08/11/2021 at 6:41 PM, joshuaho96 said:

While this is generally speaking good advice, it's also worth considering whether you will get into the endless cycle of more power for the feeling of more power. Philosophically I think it's a waste of time to try and build these cars for huge power when there are so many more platforms including the R35 that are just so much easier and cheaper to make power with. Hell, why even bother when a Model S Plaid needs no mods to set a 9.25 second quarter mile?

With an attitude like that, you are better off driving a Prius mate. Good luck in life.

Edited by Predator1
  • Haha 1

Buying these cars requires a type of mindset, at times I think buying any JDM requires some form of slight mental retardation.

I'll use myself as an example, buys a $5k R33, spends over $70k on it (I have a full spreadsheet of every part/machining/fab work that has been done/bought for the car. That list does not include anything maintenance related and the endless workshop hours, dyno hire, etc.) over the past 9.5 years.

There are days I regret it and wish I bought a M3, there are days I marvel at the beauty of the heap of shit.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 3:47 PM, Predator1 said:

With an attitude like that, you are better off driving a Prius mate. Good luck in life.

Priuses are great cars, the engineering in them is actually quite advanced and elegant. They're also dirt cheap to buy and dirt cheap to run. I recommend them to anyone who just needs basic transportation. Priuses aside, it's just so much easier and cheaper to enjoy an RB26 with conservative power goals. Just keeping these cars running properly with all-stock everything is challenging enough, throwing a ton of power and aftermarket modifications with potentially questionable engineering validation is more headache than I'm willing to deal with.

On 09/11/2021 at 1:48 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Buying these cars requires a type of mindset, at times I think buying any JDM requires some form of slight mental retardation.

I'll use myself as an example, buys a $5k R33, spends over $70k on it (I have a full spreadsheet of every part/machining/fab work that has been done/bought for the car. That list does not include anything maintenance related and the endless workshop hours, dyno hire, etc.) over the past 9.5 years.

There are days I regret it and wish I bought a M3, there are days I marvel at the beauty of the heap of shit.

According to some umpa lumpa's, you're better off putting that 75k towards an R35, or a Tesla Plaid. :D

• Haha 1

On 09/11/2021 at 2:24 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Priuses are great cars, the engineering in them is actually quite advanced and elegant. They're also dirt cheap to buy and dirt cheap to run. I recommend them to anyone who just needs basic transportation. Priuses aside, it's just so much easier and cheaper to enjoy an RB26 with conservative power goals. Just keeping these cars running properly with all-stock everything is challenging enough, throwing a ton of power and aftermarket modifications with potentially questionable engineering validation is more headache than I'm willing to deal with.

BRB... I'll go call Nitto/HKS/Tomei/Nismo and tell em to throw their their billet cranks and oil pumps as their R&D is questionable and weaker then oem piss.

Edited by Predator1
  • Haha 1

On 09/11/2021 at 12:31 PM, Predator1 said:

BRB... I'll go call Nitto/HKS/Tomei/Nismo and tell them that their R&D is questionable, and that their billet cranks and oil pumps are weaker then oem.

Let's be honest, if we had 2JZ in these shit boxes from factory we wouldn't be burning so much cash to make modest power (400~500kW at the wheels).

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 2:34 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Let's be honest, if we had 2JZ in these shit boxes from factory we wouldn't be burning so much cash to make modest power (400~500kW at the wheels).

Or better yet, a prius motor, we wouldn't need to burn any cash.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 3:45 PM, Duncan said:

To be fair, even the biggest aftermarket suppliers do only a fraction of the engineering and testing of Nissan OEM, and they have to do so without understanding every other component that their aftermarket stuff will be used with.

Of course, which is why you don't see the likes of Nitto, or any other flavour make their own cars. Imagine that, billet R32 GTR... You could even crash it multiple times, without breaking, just not sure about the occupants though.

Edited by Predator1

500hp is pretty easy to get to these days but assuming cheap and reliable is a balancing act.  Depending on the past life of your car, you could get there.  I got to close to that with garret twins (-5s), intercooler (wasn't really a limiting factor though), exhaust, fuel pump, fuel reg, cam gears, injectors and ecu and that was BP98.  With e85, it should be much easier.  As others have said, think about ongoing flexibility and try and buy things that will support a change in mind.  ECU, decent in-tank pump (E85 compatible), fuel reg, exhaust, intercooler won't really down the track so you're better off getting these right.