SAU Community

[diy] Put A/v Input For 350gt W/o Reverse Camera

You need a bypass harness to plug into the back of your screen, not a case of cutting wires, Chris Rogers sells these, if you are lucky then you may have one installed by your previous jap owner, a give away is a small black oval switch located in cabin somewhere which turns the bypass off/on.

Not sure how the factory reverse system works, Chris could tell you, I run my reverse cam through my digital tv tuner, which has reverse cam input and switches automatically when reverse lights activate.

• Like 2

Hello,

I dont know if i missed it, but can you make the screen automatically display the reversing camera when placed in reverse?

What would you require to do so?

How does the factory system do this?

Also which wires do you need to disconnect to make the TV stay on all the time when driving?

Thanks

Pete

not automatically. I can do it where you set the camera by a hitting the TV switch. I can get the correct kit so that it does do this but its not cheap. the OE system requires a data stream to switch the system over.

- yep you need a tv/navi bypass. I keep them here. what year is your car (or give me the chassis number and I'll tell you a few things about your car.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I found this converter and was wondering if you could use this module to intergrate into the nav screen for a 'factory like reversing system'?

http

:P/www.carconverters.com.au/products/S...20preview=true

Obviously from discussions ive read we need a RGB signal for the screen to work, and if you use a NTSC camera this unit should work? am i correct?

Are there any other modules out there that people have found cheaper or better?

Thanks

Pete

Hello,

I found this converter and was wondering if you could use this module to intergrate into the nav screen for a 'factory like reversing system'?

http

:) /www.carconverters.com.au/products/S...20preview=true

Obviously from discussions ive read we need a RGB signal for the screen to work, and if you use a NTSC camera this unit should work? am i correct?

Are there any other modules out there that people have found cheaper or better?

Thanks

Pete

I went the whole solution. Bought the TV tuner from Chook (about $300) and then bought a Panasonic reverse camera (NTSC) that had a rca plug and now the reverse camera turns on automatically when in reverse, changes from the TV to AV1(with the reverse camera) and when I put it back in D it changes back to TV.

Mind you, you need the park brake overriden (special button from Japan) to be able to view the screen when the park brake is released.

Cheers

Andy

yep I have used those boxes in the past - quite a noisy solution actually. in one car I had a rather nasty black rolling line.

for the camera kits ready to plug in $400 from me (torpy I have not forgotten about yours :) )

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Today i pulled appart the TV tuner located in the boot!

I have already done this mod, and put the RCA plugs in the centre console, I installed a reversing camera, and was sick of always having to press the TV button to get the camera to come up.

When i opened up the TV Tuner, i found that there are 2 pins on the circuit board from the main plug that have CONT 1 and Cont 2 written on the PCB.

When you ground either one of them it changes the monitor automatically to the spare AV input.

So i connected a relay off the reverse lights whichs ground the CONT 1 Pin therefore automatically switching in the reverse camera when placed into reverse.

Cheers

Pete

The photos show - 1 - TV Tuner PCB

post-55164-1244435121_thumb.jpg

Reverse Camera

post-55164-1244435176_thumb.jpg

Centre console RCA's

post-55164-1244435214_thumb.jpg

The Monitor with camera displayed

post-55164-1244435258_thumb.jpg

This should now mean we dont need a nav/video in motion bypass kit!

you could install a switch somewhere which just grounds this wire when you want to watch the screen on the move!

Cheers

Pete

Would that be as simple as soldering a wire onto the board that you have pictured - one end of the wire to either of the Cont 1 or Cont 2 points and the other end to the ground on the circuit board (I assume there is one, but can't tell from the picture that is posted)?

Hello,

If you grounded either of the CONT pins, then you wont be able to access any of the other functions from the screen as it will aways be displaying whats in the spare AV input.

A better option would be to place a switch in the wire so you could turn it on and off when you need.

Cheers

Pete

• 9 months later...

Hi, first post for me, i have just bought a Skyline 350GT, and somebody on the UK Skyline 350GT forum gave me a link to this thread.

I would really like to get a rear view camera setup ASAP, as trying to park is kind of difficult with the limited views on this car.

So i have got a suitable plug for my TV unit, and the wiring/plugs, just need a camera, so the first question is, do i get a PAL or NTSC, i am guessing NTSC but would like to be sure?

Also my screen will not show the TV if the car is in motion, so i have seen that somebody mentioned that the hand brake and the speed feedback needs to be cut, i am presuming this is to the TV unit itself?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, first post for me, i have just bought a Skyline 350GT, and somebody on the UK Skyline 350GT forum gave me a link to this thread.

I would really like to get a rear view camera setup ASAP, as trying to park is kind of difficult with the limited views on this car.

So i have got a suitable plug for my TV unit, and the wiring/plugs, just need a camera, so the first question is, do i get a PAL or NTSC, i am guessing NTSC but would like to be sure?

Also my screen will not show the TV if the car is in motion, so i have seen that somebody mentioned that the hand brake and the speed feedback needs to be cut, i am presuming this is to the TV unit itself?

Thanks for any help.

Hi welcome to SAU you are right you will need an ntsc camera for the reverse and as for the car in motion the wires are behind the dvd rom unit above your glove box

Hi welcome to SAU you are right you will need an ntsc camera for the reverse and as for the car in motion the wires are behind the dvd rom unit above your glove box

Hi, thanks for the info, appreciate it, is removing the DVD rom unit the best/easiest way of accessing the wiring to cut

A further question, can i power the camera by splicing into one of the + power wires to the TV unit? as it would make it an easy fit, or is there a better option?

I found this for getting the screen working whilst the car is in motion.

tv bypass

Also, Im still trying to hook up my aust tv tuner, does anyone know if the Red and yellow wires running into the Jap tuner are Power and Acc? or how I can check without blowing fuses?

I found this for getting the screen working whilst the car is in motion.

tv bypass

Also, Im still trying to hook up my aust tv tuner, does anyone know if the Red and yellow wires running into the Jap tuner are Power and Acc? or how I can check without blowing fuses?

I am not sure if the that harness is the same as ours. I know that the 2 wires that the override modules work on are 3 from the edge of the harness plug and not on the edge. This may be correct but I am basing this on the override switches I have seen.

I used power from the cigarette lighter (accessory power) for the main power (yellow if I remember right) and the red goes to the relay and then connects back to the same power source. This is on a M35 as we use the relay to turn on the inbuilt ariels when the TV tuner is turned on.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for the PM, can't reply as i don't have the post count yet,

i see you mention Japanese to English satnav conversions in your sig, can yon you give me some info please?

Oh! i am actually in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have successfully connected a reveresing camera and a digital TV tuner that also plays MP3, i am going to cut the speed wire behind the DVDrom/sat nav drive, but i believe that you also need to cut the handbrake signal as well? can anyone tell me which wire thy are just to double check? i cannot find a hand/parking brake in the circuit diagram?

• 4 weeks later...

This is just awesome,

I got my iphone connected and got Tom Tom to be displayed onto the screen.

Now I just need one of those bypass harnesses, so Tom Tom will continue to be displayed even whilst I am driving instead of automatically switching back to the Japanese navigation screen.

So I assume this harness is just plug and play and no further modification/ wire cutting? No need to cut the e-brake wire or speed sensor wire?