SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Dyno tuning today with the SS2-Alpha turbocharger on the GTR-33. 1000cc injectors are installed also. Thing are running 100% the first time. I'm still diagnosing the reason for a major boost tapering behavior up top. Could be if the external gate is not set with the right pressure springs or if the compressor wheel is out of efficiency. Peek power made today was 326rwkws @19psi on pump 98 fuel. Quite responsive and drives great on road. Will install a much larger turbo next week to see if that might be affecting the boost ramping behavior after 6000RPM.

gtrondyno.jpg

Xspurt 1000cc drop in injectors:

injectorsin.jpg

ss2power.jpg

ss2boost.jpg

Here's my result today of another great product from Stao

Hypergear OP6 highflow, tuned by Toshi

RB25 stock internals, 97 R33 gtst, 20psi, 276rwkw on 98

Boost held up quite well, does not taper down like most other highflow turbos, although it does seem to gain another psi on the top end... not sure if it is ok or if i should do anything about it

Hypergear OP6 highflow seems to like high boost, it really comes to life at around 19~21psi, so we left it at there since that's where it felt best

Supporting mods below:

z32 AFM

Scotty's 3 inch metal intake

return flow FMIC

PFC with boost controller kit

850cc Bosch EV14 injectors

bosch 044 mounted intank

splitfire coilpacks

turboback exhaust incl jjr/hks style split dump pipe, highflow cat, apexi n1 evo (comes with the bonus 2.5in restrictor in the rear muffler :/ )

Big thanks to johnnilicte, Toshi, Scotty, Stao and everyone who helped along the way.

post-27668-0-11935800-1416646100_thumb.jpg

Edited by chiksluvit

Here's my result today of another great product from Stao

Hypergear OP6 highflow, tuned by Toshi

RB25 stock internals, 97 R33 gtst, 20psi, 276rwkw on 98

Boost held up quite well, does not taper down like most other highflow turbos, although it does seem to gain another psi on the top end... not sure if it is ok or if i should do anything about it

Hypergear OP6 highflow seems to like high boost, it really comes to life at around 19~21psi, so we left it at there since that's where it felt best

Great result!

Makes me a bit of a sad panda though, I'm running 275rwkw with an ATR43SS2 but it looks like the highflow route would probably have been better from a response/install/fitment/piping/cost point of view ... Those highflows are pretty damn good.

Nice linear power curve, needs more midrange... Get e85 in her belly. :)

unfortunately no e85 around my area otherwise i'd use that. Toshi's been telling me how amazing those e85s are as well

Great result!

Makes me a bit of a sad panda though, I'm running 275rwkw with an ATR43SS2 but it looks like the highflow route would probably have been better from a response/install/fitment/piping/cost point of view ... Those highflows are pretty damn good.

I did go for the highflow for installation and cost reasons, although I think the SS2 should have plenty more head room if the hardware supports it (fuel/ stroker/ cams etc), seeing Johnny's running 350rwkw with E85 on an unopened motor, I don't think the highflow can go that far

The r33 highflow and ss1PU are good responsive options for 2.5L dailys i think. I'd love to have more midrange on my set up but I just can't seem to get anymore boost

that said how much boost are you running on the SS2 just out of curiosity?

Edited by chiksluvit

Add more gain with the hand controller, looks like there's room for boost to come on a tad earlier :)

Haha 340kW man I'm 10 shy for club 350kW however fixed that stupid misfire with a new alternator, I'll come back and touch up my tune when I'm free and when the dyno is free :)

I did go for the highflow for installation and cost reasons, although I think the SS2 should have plenty more head room if the hardware supports it (fuel/ stroker/ cams etc), seeing Johnny's running 350rwkw with E85 on an unopened motor, I don't think the highflow can go that far

The r33 highflow and ss1PU are good responsive options for 2.5L dailys i think. I'd love to have more midrange on my set up but I just can't seem to get anymore boost

that said how much boost are you running on the SS2 just out of curiosity?

Same boost as you mate, 20psi. Dyno sheet and full specs here: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/55845-rb25-turbo-upgrade-all-dyno-results/?p=7370873

Yeah my original thinking was exactly as per what you say above, wanted to aim a bit higher than what I thought was possible with a highflow at the time. That said, my original aim was 300rwkw on 98, didn't quite get there. All the supporting mods are in place, the airbox/snorkel is holding it back 10rwkw and the only other potential restriction I can think of is the intercooler.

E85 is not an option as I want the range and freedom to drive wherever I want. From what I've seen SS2 really likes external gate but that's a bit tough trying keep things looking stockish ... which kind of brings me back to the point of a highflow probably having been the better choice for my circumstances :)

Same boost as you mate, 20psi. Dyno sheet and full specs here: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/55845-rb25-turbo-upgrade-all-dyno-results/?p=7370873

E85 is not an option as I want the range and freedom to drive wherever I want.

No excuse today. Put a sensor and a real/decent #not a Power FC ECU in it and have the range/ability to do whatever you want. It really isn't that expensive.

• Like 1

Why do people think the airbox is still a restriction? I have seen 500kw through a Nissan panel filter. 400 should be easy on the stock gtst airbox.

What you need is some better fuel. Carry a jerry or two. ;)

Scotty it made 285 rwkw so 10 rwkw more with snorkel, lid and filter removed (blue line) on back to back runs:

14988174665_c40106fbf1_z.jpg

But perhaps the filter affects that too, I should look into that.

No excuse today. Put a sensor and a real/decent #not a Power FC ECU in it and have the range/ability to do whatever you want. It really isn't that expensive.

Nistune nearly has flex fuel capability for the r34 ecu....

Very soon I'm told.

Well this is starting to sound interesting! I've been running Nistune for almost 4 years, if that be made to support flex fuel I'd be very keen.

Yes have seen few R34's has CAS issues. Blah_blah had same problem. Borrow one of a friend and see if the issue goes away.

In general there is a 15kws difference in between the SS-2 and Op6 high flows internally gated. Making power is all about how much air could be forcefeed into the engine, and obviously better free flowing engine systems will archive higher outputs. And been reported by autotech that the return flow have dropped 5psi at 20psi across the core, which my PWR cooler had only 0.5 psi differences. It might be some thing worth checking and looking into.

But great result on the SS2 with 17psi. That is on an plumb backed system with stock exhaust manifold. Externally gate this turbo on a good high mount manifold can result an gain of an further 40kws

• Like 1

Some photos of a pair of our high flowed Greedy T517Z in 10cm Rear for a GTR. Now fitted with our SL20.5 CHRAs and enlarged 36mm internal wastegate. They should be now good enough to reach 500rwkws+. Will update results once tuned. 2front.jpggate.jpgrear.jpg

And chance these have been fitted and tuned yet ?

Yeah my original thinking was exactly as per what you say above, wanted to aim a bit higher than what I thought was possible with a highflow at the time. That said, my original aim was 300rwkw on 98, didn't quite get there. All the supporting mods are in place, the airbox/snorkel is holding it back 10rwkw and the only other potential restriction I can think of is the intercooler.

E85 is not an option as I want the range and freedom to drive wherever I want. From what I've seen SS2 really likes external gate but that's a bit tough trying keep things looking stockish ... which kind of brings me back to the point of a highflow probably having been the better choice for my circumstances :)

So we have pretty similar mod list except I've gone for the cheaper jjr intercooler

Well my result was 276kw with cut airbox lid and Holley panel filter / essentially the same thing as k&n, so vs ur result of 285rwkw with no airbox lid is pretty close to the 15kw difference to what Stao says. The additional 5kw difference could just be dyno to dyno differences...

Max results from Dyno to dyno probably don't mean much if they were this close, but the curve vs curve is what matters I guess

I'm gonna need to play with the boost setting to get this 3-4k rpm boost right

One thing I'd like to comment on this highflow turbo is that it doesn't have this second of lag when I put my throttle down on downshifts.

So say sitting on 4k+ rpm no load, pedal down and it just pulls

my old op6 highflow from Gcg used to have a second of nothing before it'll respond to my throttle input. Bit scary caus I'll always have to time my corner exit right and its either all or nothing. And it won't hold 17psi on high rpm even though I bought a heavy duty actuator

• Like 1

Xkalaba: I haven't had feed backs on those yet. I will update results once its been passed on.

Some updates on our ATR28SS15 turbocharger for Sr20det motors.

Have been working in this for the past few weeks, this our latest ATR28SS15 with a set pressure of 18psi. I'm very happy with today's result, as the new turbine wheel have made a difference of of 10kws while not penalising on responds, while the internal wastegate assembly have managed to hold 19psi flat and 1.5 psi tapper at 23psi. I no need to run 23psi mid range to hold 20psi top. Final result was 281rwkws @ 21.5psi with 20psi reached by 3800RPM, and 190kws on 4000RPM, on pump 98 fuel. Car is a S14 with black top SR20det using 264/12.05 BC cams.

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Compare to the older version, notice the improvement in the boost tappering behavior, Note: Pink was today's run:

boostvs.jpg

plus improvement in upper rev rang power and torque:
powersvs.jpg