SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

From what I read of Stao's plans the idea isn't to build the fastest car in the world, but rather build a turbo to suit the common bolt on mods that most people do.

Lets face it, when most people chuck their first exhaust system on, they're aren't expecting to one day make 400kw, but we all know that the power bug does bite. Most people won't then want to swap their exhaust and intercooler and whatever else, they will just want to max what they have. And I think that's the idea of using the JJR 3' and the return flow cooler

• Like 1

Thats right staos plan is to use the "common boltons" that people use and see what sort of figures these mods can potentially make if pushed as hard as they can go. Which i think is a great idea. But i stick to what piggas said.. but then money comes into the picture so yeah its a two side story

3 inch for 400? Errr...

Golf ball and garden hose.

I read what was said as being the JJR dump was a bad item to use in general.

I thought zebra was saying the JJR is not "Good".

Of course going bigger is better, getting a mild steel system made up is by far the cheapest if you are on a budget.

What i was saying is the JJR dump is perfectly fine piece, the only issue people seem to have is sometimes they don't line up to the 6 bolt stock flange.

But if you want you can look at the dyno thread and see some people with 3 inch exhausts up in the >370kw range.

Stao himself has results with 3 inch exhaust in upwards of >370kw

Even one of his later ones is upwards of 430kw with 3 inch..

Edited by jay-rod

Mine fit perfectly fine, but that's just one person i guess.

Since then the flange has been chopped off, so fitment/gasket issues are nill.

And if the average person has the choice between a 199 dollar stainless dump and a 400+ brand name 3inch.

You know what most people would choose.

But i do agree, 4 inch would be better way to go, but not exactly necessary.
Its not really possible to get off the shelf 4 inch or even 3.5 inch for a reasonable price unless you get it made up for you.

Especially the r34.

I think stao's main market is the bolt on people here, and those people are not really in it for the "max dyno" number.

The best exhaust is no exhaust. Some of the cheap and loud exhausts actually makes the highest power. Due to the size of turbo compressor, the whole turbo has to be spaced 15mms towards chassis side. 3.5inches would be making it hit the chassis rail. well I see how it goes first.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure whether to start a new thread or continue in this monster anyway..

Looking at a high flow for an r34gtt. Spoke to toshi and he reckons for the street go the r33 rear housing but for the track the r34 housing.

I am keen on response so thinking of going an r33 housing and the basic high flow. Is that the best one for response and factory look?

Anyone with comparison to the stock turbo? I had a gcg on an r33 and that was really good. I see these HG turbos have more development so hoping they are atleast as responsive as the gcg.

Anyone got a basic HG r33 high flow on an r34 and able to provide the following

At what rpm do you get 18psi in :

2nd gear

3rd gear

4th gear

What power are you getting?

The stock r34 turbo is pretty responsive. I'm able to hit about 8psi by about 2300 in 4th I think. Would the highflow with the smaller housing be about the same (I.e would have bigger wheels but smaller housing so spool up rpm would be similar?)

Toshi reckons the high flow would be full boost by about 4k rpm but on the r33 with the gcg I had full boost by about 3.5rpm so still deciding if I should go gcg or HG.

Many thanks

Try the search function mate, here's a couple I was able to dig up pretty quick

Further updates:

John Reco's R33 skyline. standard engine with cooler, exhaust, fuel and ecu mods. 310rwkws @ 20psi E85 fuel.

5F95EDA2-DB9F-4ED3-85D5-F9D250317AC3.jpg

I also got a print of John reco's R33, thats the first time I had a proper look at his result. It is running our standard 21U high flow on E85 fuel, and I'm amazed of how responsive it is.

reco21uhf310rwkwe85.jpgreco21uhf310rwkwe85boost.jpg

Result sent in by another member that is currently using our 21U high flow running E85 fuel making a super responsive 311rwkws on 20psi internally gated. That is on a R33 Rb25det stock engine.

power.jpg

boost.jpg

As you can see they make a little over 300rwkw on E85 and the are pretty responsive

Current state my ss2 makes 18psi at 4100

but its under the knife atm and should make 20 by 4000 on flex fuel and external gate... my mates r34 gtt has the u21 (r33 highflow from hypergear) makes full boost at 3700ish on e85 19psi

any of the highflows will be brilliant and the ss is a whole another level of aggressive boosting

if you want response the u21(33 highflow) is your best bet, its not as responsive as stock but its as good as itl get. The op6 (34 highflow) is a tad laggyer (300ish rpm give or take depending on suporting) but has a higher power output. but If you look at going for the op6 i would highly recommend concidering spending a bit more and go for an ss2 Its an unreal street turbo and bolts straight onto the r34 turbo mani and lines up with stock dumps

My 2 cents cheers!

Not sure whether to start a new thread or continue in this monster anyway..

Looking at a high flow for an r34gtt. Spoke to toshi and he reckons for the street go the r33 rear housing but for the track the r34 housing.

I've had both the OP6 and 21U turbine housings on my R33, look up my results in this thread and make a decision.

If you're used to full boost by 3.5k, going for the 21U version is a no-brainer, especially for a street car. 500rpm difference in response doesn't sound like much, but it's a big difference.

.. my mates r34 gtt has the u21 (r33 highflow from hypergear) makes full boost at 3700ish on e85 19psi

The 21U should be well and truly on full boost by 3,500rpm, mine hits it by 3,400 and is running PULP.

Edited by colourclassic

Hi, I've been MIA for few weeks due to an small operation and now back on business. I'm catching up with every one's jobs, they will be all out this week, I apologise for the delay

21ucomps.jpg

The R34 test rig is in progress and will be tuned with the latest SS2 prototype this friday, hopping for 300rwkws+ with 20psi by 3500RPM.

Dyno reading from a high flowed OP6 turbocharger, making 275rwkws internally gated @17psi, pump fuel:

275rwkwsop6hf.jpeg

And posting a small video from twin ATR43SS2.5 powered LS1 V8 maxing out the dyno at 12psi, its apparently making over 1000Mn of torque. Their dyno is getting upgraded, hopefully seeing over 1000HP+ on a full run.