SAU Community

Ben's R32 Gtst Build

sav man

From memory it was about 5k difference.  The box themselfs were similar, but you had to buy more bits for the Hollinger like a flatshift gearstick, bell housing etc, which is either included with the Samsonas or you can use a cheap Nissan auto bellhousing.

The Sainz bar is the vertical(ish) brace for the front leg. The bend in the front leg makes them weaker so they put the extra bar in there to help in roll overs. They're great for strength but I've got deep seats with big wings in mind and it's an ordeal for my partner in crime to get out. He's 6'2" and 120kg though....

Thanks for the info on the Samsonas, I'll contact them and get an actual price.

• 1 month later...

What's your plan to demonstrate the build date of your car Ben? Given that the plates don't have the actual build date on them is it acceptable to quote a website as proof of manufacturing date?

My chassis number is in the 1900's so it's well and truly in the first production run but I'm a bit unclear on what constitutes 'proof' of the manufacturing dates.

Car is coming along, the body work is tidied up and painted.  I'll be able to start throwing things back into it now.

You can get the build date from putting the vin into Nissan Fast or an online decoder. Mark Perry the Targa CEO used to import and race R32 Skylines, so he knows them inside out and the vin's etc.  I'm pretty sure by the late 80s you could find out all the details of a car from it's vin.  I think mine is July 89.

20220320_153711.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks mate, I'll have a look at Fast.

Looking good, white is an excellent choice. Mine is black and you can't see shit in the engine bay.

No tower legs on the cage? Your cages seem to have massive braces between the main hoop and the front leg, how do you go getting the seats in there? It certainly looks like a stronger option in the case of a roll over, I don't see any cages like that over here.

Coming to Victoria for any events? I'm doing reliability testing (sprints) at the moment for new engine and dry sump but might get to Snowy River or GTR later this year if I get my shit together. 

I just didn't have time to go through to the towers. It woul have taken longer to make the cage and then probably would need setup changes.  At least I know i can just put the settings from the old shell in and it will feel the same.  With the wheel removed it's not to bad to get in and out of, you work a process out pretty quick.

I did the Australian Tarmac Championship in 2017, so am aiming to get back there to do some more evetnts.  Espesially since the Targa events are getting restricted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well Targa was started and cancelled.

We managed to make the start, I had a shit time tryig to get the engine from the machine shop in time.  I did get the engine at the 11th hour and then found there was no compression on cylinder 1 and 6.  I'll get round to looking into it properly in a few weeks to find what the issue is.  But I was able to borrow a spare standard RB20 to run the event on.

in the end it didn't count for much as the event was cancelled.  But here is incar from the first time the car was driven at speed.

• Like 3

Had some issues on day 2 that dropped us out of contention, but after hearing about the fatality in the afternoon we decided not to get the car ready for day 3, as we knew how much Motorsports Aus hates tarmac rally and would cancel it at any opertunity.

I didn't have the correct config loaded for the gear sensor, I fixed it that night.

There isn't a whole lot known about what happened.  A lotus came off on Mt Roland and the drivers was killed, looks like rallysafe didn't alert the cars behind of the Lotus being off the road, as 6 cars drove past (7th stopped). Same thing happened last year when the bloke drowned, 50 cars drove past and had no idea a car was off.

• Sad 1

I hope they don't cancel the Targa, but at the same time I hope there are added safety measures such as armcos, etc. to reduce the risk of tragedies.

The media and non motor enthusiasts will do anything to shut it down, however what they don't know is motorsports brings heaps of money into the economy.

Anyhow, car looks like great fun to drive - even on a stock motor. Kudos to you for not raising your hand in the air like you're conducing a symphony between gear changes :D 

Seems like that is a very common thing to do now with the roll racing/drag racing fellas. Pull a gear, raise your hand like you're requesting for a crescendo LOL.

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:45 PM, Komdotkom said:

Do you reckon Motorsport Australia will try and dial the rules back a bit to slow the cars down? Or will they just go back to AASA?

New sporting & technical Regs will be out in January so will see. I suspect a lot of the classic GT cars will have they wings clipped. They have already capped speed at 200kph but it how fast the top cars get there & maintain it is one issue I see. At Targa GBR last year there were lots of RTZ to slow us down and to avoid cars jumping crests too. Most drivers also don't do much driving throughout the year.

I wonder if Rallysafe is testing their gear in these locations as seems to be a lot of drop outs. Did they do any more detailed briefing on rallysafe?

Hey Ben I heard you added an inspection hole for the gearbox internals, any idea what actually happened?

Shame about the engine and having no time to shake the new car down, it looked Ok in that Georgetown vid.

Targa seem to think they will be running next year, I guess a lot may depend on what actually happened.

On 03/05/2022 at 6:13 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

New sporting & technical Regs will be out in January so will see. I suspect a lot of the classic GT cars will have they wings clipped. They have already capped speed at 200kph but it how fast the top cars get there & maintain it is one issue I see. At Targa GBR last year there were lots of RTZ to slow us down and to avoid cars jumping crests too. Most drivers also don't do much driving throughout the year.

I wonder if Rallysafe is testing their gear in these locations as seems to be a lot of drop outs. Did they do any more detailed briefing on rallysafe?

This is my single biggest issue with tarmac rally, the rules change far too often; it's a great way to alienate competitors. Perhaps I've got a different perspective because most of the racers I know are in NC or IPRA and rule changes seldom happen, but it gives people certainty about where they are going and the cars they are building. I'm certainly not saying these categories have the rules correct, IPRA in particular, but given the cost of competitive vehicle construction to a reasonable standard nobody wants to re-build a car to keep up with regular rule changes.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:45 PM, Komdotkom said:

Do you reckon Motorsport Australia will try and dial the rules back a bit to slow the cars down? Or will they just go back to AASA?

No idea at this stage.  I would like for them to go back to AASA.  The 200k limit is a joke, as all the incidents have been well under 200k.  This year was the first time I was checking my speedo on a stage, as I don't fully trust that the rev limiter won't overrun.

On 5/3/2022 at 6:13 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

The problem is more when a car comes off the road that the GPS can't get a signal out cause the car is upsidedown or the antenna has been ripped off.  It then relys on car to car comunication, which can also fail depending on distance from the road and antenna damage.  I think there needs to be a failsafe that if a unit stops talking back to HQ that a stop and look for car instruction is sent to following cars at the last known location.  There is probably better ways, but the discussion needs to be had.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:08 PM, Duncan said:

Hey Ben I heard you added an inspection hole for the gearbox internals, any idea what actually happened?

Shame about the engine and having no time to shake the new car down, it looked Ok in that Georgetown vid.

Targa seem to think they will be running next year, I guess a lot may depend on what actually happened.

When the supplier tell you to put loctight on the bolts that join the box and bellhouse you should listen to them.  Bolts came out and jammed the flywheel then went out of th side of the bellhouse, not the box thankfully. We had the stuff to put the std box back in if the event had continued.

The furture will be interesting, as lots of people were running this year just cause of the 30th and wern't planning on running next year because of the restrictions.  There is also rumbelings going on in the background that there is legal action happening about the tribunal last year

Edited by sav man
  • Like 1