SAU Community

Handbrake's R35 Build Part 2

I think comparing either to Russ's R32's times is unwise.

Russ did a 38 last year, but after the mad rush to get it rebuilt after his big crash @ turn 1 before the event last year, the car didn't even have a front undertray under it, and as you know, that makes the front end a virtual parachute. The amount of braking needed for it to turn into turn 1 was pretty wild.

Unfortunately, because there has been such an outrageous amount of time spent on the 34 (coupled with Mark's 6 months off after his first children were born), the 32 STILL doesn't have an undertray under it. It has nearly literally been wheeled out of the shed and servied/washed.

I reckon in full fighting trim, that car has a 36 in it.

No doubt these 35's will go quicker than that eventually (maybe even tomorrow!), and son of rajab knows what they'll be capable of when completely sorted. :)

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given both cars (R35's) are basically just built and untested if they can beat the High Octane R32 they will be doing very very well IMO.

Both these cars are amazing bits of gear - but I think they will still need a few more miles under their belts - and a bit more tweaking - before their true potential can be realized. I don't think bolting them together and just doing 1-2 days testing will quite get them there yet.

But anything under a 1.40 will be a really great effort.

No doubt this year will be a massive learning year for them both - and look out seriously for them in 2012.

This year was meant to be in Open class, with the focus being 2012. It was my push to make the step up earlier, hence the inclusion of Tarzan Yamada as a hired driver. It will be great experience for Mark this year, amazing learning for us as a team, but yeah 2012 has always been the focus. Hell, we weren't even sure if we could get the build done in time for this year!

Yeah you guys have done an awesome job to get to the start line Trent (Same with GT Auto) - but people's expectations need to be tempered a little.

I'd hate for people to be disappointed if either or both cars don't produce a Hollywood number this year.

I remember being told 3 years ago that "R35's will never make a good time attack car because they are just too heavy" - but both you guys have done a stellar job trying to prove this wrong. And I think most people now are starting to think that instead perhaps these are actually going to be the cars of the future.

Good luck for the weekend anyways and I genuinely hope you surprise us all straight off the bat!

I wholeheartedly agree Snowy, to get both these cars there is an amazing feat, and I look forward to seeing them, meeting, and re-meeting a few of you tomorrow.

Ive been told over and over 2nd hand from "a bloke who works at GTA's mate who knows his siter" that the GTA car weighs 1050kg... now that would be a MEGA feat! :)

See ya tomorrow! :cheers:

This year was meant to be in Open class, with the focus being 2012. It was my push to make the step up earlier, hence the inclusion of Tarzan Yamada as a hired driver. It will be great experience for Mark this year, amazing learning for us as a team, but yeah 2012 has always been the focus. Hell, we weren't even sure if we could get the build done in time for this year!

I'm sure as well as getting the best possible laptimes out of the car with such a highly experienced driver the feedback you should get to help with setup would be invaluable. No offence to Mark intended of course. :cheers:

Will Murray be working with you guys at Superlap to help with any suspension changes should they be required?

Good luck for the weekend, even if you don't get into the mid or low 1.30s you've still done well to get there this year!

Ive been told over and over 2nd hand from "a bloke who works at GTA's mate who knows his siter" that the GTA car weighs 1050kg... now that would be a MEGA feat! :)

100% Incorrect. I can't give you the exact figure as we still need to keep some things to ourselves but it's no where near that light. It's not going to be that much lighter than Mark's (Mercury) R35 as you just can't cut that much out of them.

Cheers

Marty

100% Incorrect. I can't give you the exact figure as we still need to keep some things to ourselves but it's no where near that light. It's not going to be that much lighter than Mark's (Mercury) R35 as you just can't cut that much out of them.

Cheers

Marty

lol, yeah I know you can't make on that light :)

Unless......... helium? :whistling:

None of us have any unrealistic expectations on achievable times, we wouldn't be that presumptuous. We certainly aren't ignorant of the years of development taken by the established cars to get the times they have to date.

None of us have any unrealistic expectations on achievable times, we wouldn't be that presumptuous. We certainly aren't ignorant of the years of development taken by the established cars to get the times they have to date.

I think you guys have the right attitude to succeed...

Oh and Mark the rewards will be ever more satisfying when you can relax back in Brisbane in a fortnight or so with the wife & kids...

Good luck to the team, I wish you all have a safe journey and remember to have fun... You deserve it...

Shame i cant be there myself to cheer you all on (work calls)... :cheers: