SAU Community

World Time Attack Challenge 2012

handbrake

the thing is they're not really open to interpretation, just misunderstanding. The Clubsprint rules for aero/body start off with (paraphrasing) "you can't do jack unless we state it below", and the Open and Pro rules start with "aero is free except for fan cars".

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as a rule in all other forms of motorsports I've done the way rules are generally read are:

If it doesn't say you can do it, then you can't do it.

But I just wonder if the organisers have different ideas of the rules in their heads.

Since its only 14 days til the event starts and I still haven't driven my car I'm not overly fussed this year because I've got no chance of being competitive regardless. But it would be nice to have it all clarified once and for all.

Kinda related, did you sort out the issues with theBW turbos? Or is that what is causing you to miss it?

Yes and no. It's kind of caused me to miss it, but I've had so many little delays in getting my car back together that they've finally caught up with me now and I'm out of time.

I probably started getting ready too late too which hasn't helped.

I had to rebuild my bottom end, which I wasn't counting on doing, but when we pulled my head off a few weeks back we found that one of my bores was fairly badly scored from what we believe was a piece of an exhaust wheel that had got sucked back into the engine. The top of the piston also had a lump of buildup on it, again, possibly a piece of exhaust wheel that had melted onto the piston. That put me back the several weeks I'm running late by as I've just got my bottom end back in the last few days.

In regards to the BW turbos, not sure if they are fixed or not as I haven't turned a key since November last year. I have 2 new ones on now but until they hit the dyno, or track, I don't really know.

Fingers crossed it'll all be fine when she finally gets going. I've made some decent changes to the whole car so I can't wait to sit in her again!

Well as a rule in all other forms of motorsports I've done the way rules are generally read are:

If it doesn't say you can do it, then you can't do it.

But I just wonder if the organisers have different ideas of the rules in their heads.

Since its only 14 days til the event starts and I still haven't driven my car I'm not overly fussed this year because I've got no chance of being competitive regardless. But it would be nice to have it all clarified once and for all.

In most all professional motorsports ie: F1,NASCAR,Moto GP etc its a case of "If its doesnt say you CANT do it then you can!"

IMO what will happen in this WTA event is some rich guy will build a correctly, turn up to an event do 3-4 laps, set a time 3 seconds faster than anyone and watch from his air conditioned transporter. Chris Eaton has/had this opportunity but again it looks like too much cash can never make up for bad advice.... I mean 500+K and he eats engines faster than Megatron!!! Oh and i wonder how much faster he would actually go if he took the entire body kit off!!!! Downforce is good, extra DRAG is really bad for a full bodied car.... The Lotus team/car is the smartest operator! He puts in W.Luff to drive.... Cheapest 2+ seconds per lap money can buy...

You can see from the pics on the WTAC website that many Clubsprint cars are not legal, so its not like the organisers aren't aware that they are modified well beyond the rules now, it won't be a surprise at scrutineering. The organisers could simply do a mail-out to entrants with a reminder about the rules and what they mean if they were concerned about cars complying with the rules. There's still a couple of weeks before the event

All of these aero components not allowed in clubsprint could simply be removed. Its not like they're welded on. Or if they can't comply with Clubsprint, bump them up to Open like they do at CAMS speed events - if they find a car's not legal for a class, they reclassify it if possible. there's no need to turn anyone away.

The entrants should read the rules. Its not like WTAC rules are complicated or hard to interpret like some IPRA or Sport Sedan rules.

I dont think they can simply bump them up. This may throw the numbers right out and may require re-working of the schedule to allow the increased cars in Open the same amount of lap time. Thats not even considering the impact of increased traffic for Open. I dont think it would work.

Someone mentioned they can see some of the cars on the website that clearly contravene the rules. If so then the organisers can and should do something about it but how many cars do the organisers see prior to the event?

Again, make the rules clear and enforce them.

BTW I am not hung on this, I am merely spectating and am going to enjoy the even for what it is.

Boxhead - that new food area is fantastic. Really nice environment with TV's, lap times, good food, nice seating and beer. I was really impressed. I just hope for WTAC they open it up and make it twice as big as it will be a popular place.

I dont think they can simply bump them up. This may throw the numbers right out and may require re-working of the schedule to allow the increased cars in Open the same amount of lap time. Thats not even considering the impact of increased traffic for Open. I dont think it would work.

It's quite simple. No rescheduling is required. If a Club entrant is found to have modifications that should see it in Open, it's merely re-categorized and see it logged as an Open car. No need to run it in Open sessions.

The competitor should get a short grace period to allow modifying the car back to Club rules. If they cannot do so, they would be free to obtain and run semi-slicks as it is now an Open car.

However, if the competitor has deliberately misrepresented their entry as Club level in the hope of obtain a "default" Open Class entry, they're excluded from the event.

That's how I see it anyhoo.

Fair point but I still don't think its fair for the Open class guys. As you know, they allow a certain number of cars to enter into each category. This is to ensure a fair amount of track time with hopefully not as much traffic per group or session. If more cars are bumped up that is more traffic to contend with and more chance of ruining a lap. It could certainly work to ensure cars dont miss out, but not entirely fair if the numbers are high that do not comply (as is being suggested here).

Anyway, that is enough on that I reckon. Noone is ever going to agree and ultimately what I or anyone else thinks doesn't really matter. Will let the organisers deal with it. We can be hopeful that they are aware of it and are looking for ways to deal with it next year, fairly for everyone.

BTW - the Cyber Evo does not look as bad as the initial photos suggested. Cant wait it to see it run. Also, how many EVO's are competing this year!!! There are a stack of them in all classes!!!

In most all professional motorsports ie: F1,NASCAR,Moto GP etc its a case of "If its doesnt say you CANT do it then you can!"

When rules start with things like "Cars must be presented as manufactured except for..." then you can't do anything unless they specifically say you can. That's Clubsprint Class.

When the rules say "Aero is free except for mechanical devices to generate downforce", then you can do whatever your imagination can dream up. That's Open and Pro Classes.

As Ben said, reclassifying the cars doesn't have to alter the schedule at all - just the results. Reclassified cars (ie ones that couldn't take their splitters and canards off) stil run in their originally allocated sessions. Too bad if that's less track time than other Open class cars - if they entered the correct class or had a Clubsprint legal car, that wouldn't have happened.

Edited by hrd-hr30