SAU Community

Forced Performance Hta Turbos

I have seen a few attempts of low mounted aftermarket manifolds, but I feel there just isn't enough room under the heat shield to do it justice. The stock manifold isn't too bad, even with the gate off the housing, as long as you run ethanol to control the det and exhaust temps. There just aren't that many high end results yet, as most guys still think you need to upgrade to 6boost for 300kw.

What am I missing here - what's going on a stock manifold?

Edit: OH Crap! I didn't see JetR31 saying stock manifold, my brain fully blocked that concept even when he said low mount. WTF?? You're worried about the GT3794R's turbine causing excessive exhaust pressure and you're running the stock manifold?

Ummm...... I'm very prepared to eat my hat if I get proven wrong here, but this doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Good spotting GTScoTT (or poor spotting by me haha). What kind of power are you after man?

lol, bad spotting haha..i said, rb30, and meant sohc...it doesn't have the problem the rb25 ,manifold has....cars have trapped 9.5@145mph with autos..on 67mm old school turbos with them, cars have run high 9s in full street trim auto with 3540s and e85 with them aswell

auto cars have made over 500rwkw with them....,...the idea is sound...lol

having said that, a mate is having a high comp DOHC motor built atm and is going big on the standard manifold, bigger than anything ive seen, wilst he

could afford to do whatever he really wanted, it all for shits and giggles..if you do it yourself it costs only time and a big of welding, nothing

to loose really...

your right lithuim, someone needs to do a nice cast manifold and get it tooled up in china, i thought Stao might have done it

theres been some really nice supra setups with those cast manis over the last yr or so!

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31
  • Like 2

In the bad old days people used to get NA exhaust manifolds and bolt "J"pipes on them for a cheap high mount manifold . I've never seen an NA R25 manifold so I don't know if that's practical .

If you could get fabbed 26 twin shorties can Js fit them into a single ?

POV stuff but you never know ...

A .

The biggest disappointment I have with the FP turbos, is that they are moving away from twin-scroll / divided turbine's. This includes their stock appearing turbos.

My next turbo will unfortunately be a Precision Turbo because of the above reason and the awkward packaging of the Borg Warner EFR's....

In the bad old days people used to get NA exhaust manifolds and bolt "J"pipes on them for a cheap high mount manifold . I've never seen an NA R25 manifold so I don't know if that's practical .

If you could get fabbed 26 twin shorties can Js fit them into a single ?

POV stuff but you never know ...

A .

Seen that on a 1j

Iwg Gt35r. Merge pipe from standard manifolds

20psi for 230rwkws and lag like you would not believe

Seen that on a 1j

Iwg Gt35r. Merge pipe from standard manifolds

20psi for 230rwkws and lag like you would not believe

Its quite common actually, I considered it for my own... Though it seems redundant when you can buy a china stainless for chips. I would put a J pipe on a similar level... However I also think it could be effectively employed for the 300kw mark.

The biggest disappointment I have with the FP turbos, is that they are moving away from twin-scroll / divided turbine's. This includes their stock appearing turbos.

My next turbo will unfortunately be a Precision Turbo because of the above reason and the awkward packaging of the Borg Warner EFR's....

Homo! :P

That twin scroll thing is one of the things that irks me a bit about them too - though there are options to go with them, they just aren't one of their staple things.

What do you have now Tonba, and what are you aiming for?

That twin scroll thing is one of the things that irks me a bit about them too - though there are options to go with them, they just aren't one of their staple things.

He has a FP black and he is planning to roll it! :P

The car is currently getting built by a certain workshop starting with J and ending with EM hehe

Oh and a spastic widebody just cus he can!

So the Black hasn't actually been run yet, or won't be?

Yes its been run on this car before on a 2.3L setup but it was not performing to its potential...

In saying that it certainly put a smile on my dial :yes:

Yes its been run on this car before on a 2.3L setup but it was not performing to its potential...

In saying that it certainly put a smile on my dial :yes:

Any idea what it made before?

Any idea what it made before?

Yes i know exactly what it made as i was there for the dyno runs, but it is not a good example as the bore ate itself :P

Last I heard it was still in the build - hence asking about the upgrade

Correct!

So, Evo companions did a few changes to his car...

-Swapped out his Tomei 270 Procams for some GSC R2's

-Swapped final drive from 4.0 to 4.11

-Swapped HTA3586R (T4 Divided 1.06 Rear) for a PTE6466 (T4 Divided 1.15 Rear)

-Increased boost from 35/36psi to 39/40psi

He made almost 40kW more, with similar spool (I am talking within 100rpm - so not really noticeable on the road). Waiting to compare his graphs to see what has changed for power under the curve.. Tempting.

Yeah, the non-TS is really annoying me. They are putting a lot of energy into custom SS housings, and giving TS no love... Not liking it.

I currently have an FP Black. Its more or less a HTA3582R squeezed into an evo 9 turbo, so it does have limitations, particularly on the exhaust side.

I guess I am really worried about being left behind. FP are now making SS cast turbine housings to suit the 'stock frame' turbos such as mine, both to eliminate the TS and the internal gate. This kind of worries me as it means they are no-longer supporting the stock MHI rear housing, and internal gate which kinda defies the whole point of having a stock appearing turbocharger....

I am worried I am going to be stuck with a turbo, that I will struggle to find replacement parts for, PARTICULARLY the rear housing itself. It cops a lot of heat at high boost and can be prone to failure.

They are great turbos, but when the manufacture starts to drop support for it... it becomes a less attractive option. I guess that is the main reason for now considering a T4 Divided turbo setup.

-Swapped out his Tomei 270 Procams for some GSC R2's

-Swapped final drive from 4.0 to 4.11

-Swapped HTA3586R (T4 Divided 1.06 Rear) for a PTE6466 (T4 Divided 1.15 Rear)

-Increased boost from 35/36psi to 39/40psi

He made almost 40kW more, with similar spool (I am talking within 100rpm - so not really noticeable on the road). Waiting to compare his graphs to see what has changed for power under the curve.. Tempting.

Wow - that's a very very impressive result. There are too many variables to call it a straight back to back, but at the same time - if it's within 100rpm then it suggests that it's going to be close regardless, and its a no brainer that the 6466 is capable of a lot more power... though at the same time the 6466 is one of those "EPIC" turbos while the HTA3586 isn't one of FP's magic ones.

I'm certainly not going to defend the housing situation - I don't agree with their take on that. The FP turbos I consider as "gold" (like there is SFA which will match or better them in their particular areas) are the HTA3076, HTA3582, and Super99 though the whole range are pretty sweet considering how long they've been around and still compared to most things out there.

The Precision PT6466 again is pretty hard to answer to, I think it's one of the coolest turbos to come out in a long time and certainly my favourite of Precision's offerings. Share the Precision versus HTA3586 result in the appropriate thread if possible?

Beside one result from DrGTR in UK, anyone heard result about the twin application gt2868 ? Some say its the same as the GT2860 turbos but with way more top end.

some say, because of the size of the wheel, the truth is that they compare way wore to a gt2871 then a gt2860.

And then theres FP sale tech who tells me that :

We should be able to upgrade your GT2860's with our 68HTA compressor wheels. We would charge $700 each for this upgrade and they would come back to you in the same style housings with same fitment, but the compressor wheel will be a 47lb/min air flow wheel and should also spool slightly quicker than your current set up. If you have interest in sending your GT2860's for our HTA upgrade, you can use the form on the below link, and send it in with the turbochargers. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

to which I told them about the wheel size and worried about the spool :

They are a larger wheel, but being made from billet makes them lighter, therefore, the spool time does decrease slightly.

decrease or improve.. ? I wasnt sure

Our billet design wheels will flow more air and spool faster than a similar size cast compressor wheel. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Here's my grip because theres a big difference between a 60mm cast and 68mm billet..

Like I said before, my goal is to find a twin setup that could spool like -9s while having the -5 power. ( I had both before on the same engine, comparaison was easy)

I'm certainly not going to defend the housing situation - I don't agree with their take on that. The FP turbos I consider as "gold" (like there is SFA which will match or better them in their particular areas) are the HTA3076, HTA3582, and Super99 though the whole range are pretty sweet considering how long they've been around and still compared to most things out there.

Yeah, I think moving away from twin scroll applications might be their undoing. Sure FP have a great following, and make a few magic turbochargers... but it isn't the 90's or early 2000's anymore. People actually expect good drivability these days with good power.

I think they need to put some energy into some TS housings.. otherwise they will continue to loose business to the likes of precision, which are not only cheaper, but have a HUGE range of housings to choose from.

Edited by Tonba

Beside one result from DrGTR in UK, anyone heard result about the twin application gt2868 ? Some say its the same as the GT2860 turbos but with way more top end.

Like I said before, my goal is to find a twin setup that could spool like -9s while having the -5 power. ( I had both before on the same engine, comparaison was easy)

Fwiw I reckon the 68s will be noticeably laggier than the GT2860Rs - they'd be no GT2860R-10 laggy/surgy type beast though, from all accounts. I can't help but slightly smaller (between 60 - 68) HTA compressors would be better suited but I don't think there is a realistic option, but you would definitely create something which is somewhat mental if you did do twin 2868HTAs and tune it to suit. I know it doesn't really apply to this thread, but as a general point of interest - I believe someone has recored R35 GTR turbos with EFR6258s, I wonder if someone tooled up well enough could do the same to R32-34 GTR housings. That would be pretty choice!

Yeah, I think moving away from twin scroll applications might be their undoing. Sure FP have a great following, and make a few magic turbochargers... but it isn't the 90's or early 2000's anymore. People actually expect good drivability these days with good power.

I think they need to put some energy into some TS housings.. otherwise they will continue to loose business to the likes of precision, which are not only cheaper, but have a HUGE range of housings to choose from.

Yeah agreed, though on the other hand a lot of the FP single scrolls are matching or outdoing competitors twin scroll variants in terms of power and response so they are doing something right - though I'd certainly prefer the option of TS. On the topic of their single scrolls, how is this for crazy - 500+whp by 5500rpm on a 2litre on the way to what is estimated to be around 1020whp (dyno clipped at 1000whp :O ) with a .85a/r Super99 HTZ! eek.

Rene_Evo_IX_FP_Super99_1000whp_Dyno_Moor

Thread: http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-dyno-tuning-results/687293-1000-whp-670wtq-2006-evo-ix-moore-automotive-built-tuned-2-0lr-fp-super-99-a.html

Someone needs to put one of those buggers on an RB and profit greatly haha

• Like 1