SAU Community

Facebook Group For Gtr Owner's/enthusiasts

MUZT3K

The social side of a club is important. personally, I would prefer a well-run, committed car club full of decent people than something full of people I didn't like, but share a common car and being part of a convoy.

Side point I laugh at - People 5-10 years ago had a GTS-t, later they get a GT-R later on down the track it's all "i dont wanna associate with them anymore", forgetting where it all started.

I have to agree and I love the fact its coming from the mouth of a GT-R owner as well lol

In the most polite and objective way, a large part of the problem lies within the whole ethos that defines SAU Vic - as it currently stands, it is more of a social Skyline interest group than a dedicated Skyline or GTR club. This is quite obvious to anyone who turns up to any of the SAU Vic events. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with this or with SAU, but it's simply not what a lot of Skyline/GTR fans are looking for. I can appreciate that people have owned such cars then sell them and move on, but when such people bring cars other than Skylines or GTRs to a Skylines Australia club event it doesn’t do wonders for the image or identity of the club.

I understand what you're saying, although the membership base would not be where it is today without these members who own other cars. Mostly they would have owned a skyline in the past, therefore being very knowledgable about them and still able to contribute a lot to other members. It is also a club, not a dictatorship. I think regardless of whether they currently own, have previously owned, or have never owned a skyline does not make a difference. If they pay their membership they're entitled to it. I also think exclusivity = wank factor... Let's be realistic, these arn't Lamborghinis we are talking about.

As above as well, I think the banding-together approach is the right solution for everybody involved, rather than everybody diverging into seperate clubs.For example, I don't see what's stopping GTR owners from becoming members on here, then proceeding to organise GTR only cruisers if they feel the need to compare cocks...

I also think exclusivity = wank factor... Let's be realistic, these arn't Lamborghinis we are talking about.

For example, I don't see what's stopping GTR owners from becoming members on here, then proceeding to organise GTR only cruisers if they feel the need to compare cocks...

Exclusivity by badge is wank? Hmm ok. There is nothing to stop MGTROC members from joining SAU VIC also if that's what they desire. After all, SAU is a car club for all Skylines (and any other car too really). Your second point is a bit contradictory to your first. To organise an exclusive event for GTRs within a club that is for all cars is precisely wank factor - members who don't have a GTR will be excluded - hence the point of a GTR club. No wank factor or "comparison of cocks". I don't see why people on here who don't own a GTR get so uptight and get their knickers in a knot when any mention of GTR-only clubs or events comes up (don’t forget the extensive GTR owners clubs in the UK, North America, Singapore etc). I bet these same people wouldn't be having a go at the EVO club and EVO owners for only having EVOs in their club and not all Lancers, or the Ferrari club for not having Lambos. What do you Sir, propose to be a car worthy of its own car club, if not a Lambo? GTRs were, and still are, Nissans flagship sportscar. For their era and even now, and for their price tags, they are unmatched in performance and legendary status. People can argue this all they want, but that would be the real comparison of cocks. So it would seem like a pretty good example to me and many others also, to have a club dedicated to it. There is no pretentiousness intended to other non-GTR Skylines. The R34 GTR doesn’t cost $160k like it did in the early 2000s, and the R32 GTRs now are as cheap as anything. The point of the GTR club isn’t about who's got money or who thinks their car is better, it’s about sharing a common passion and ownership of rare(ish) motoring history. If people on the outside can’t see that and instead look at it with spite and disdain, I’m sorry you feel that way, maybe you should buy a GTR and enjoy life a bit :P So then, where really is the harm or snootiness in a bunch of GTR owners wanting to get together for social, street and track events? The MGTROC has active members that range from 25 - 60 years old, and everyone gets along really well. Everyone is very social and always welcoming to new people.

Also, given the 'active' members who have shown serious interest in acquiring their CAMs license and thus paying membership fees, we will also be able to provide membership cheaper than any other club out there as the numbers permit us to do so (as you are aware, the price of CAMs affiliation for a club is determined by the number of members within the club). Yes MGTROC does not have the numbers of SAU, nor the website & knowledge base, but we have what I believe to be a much stronger and more active membership base. So no, I don’t agree with the notion that it is "just a bunch of people with similar interests". It quite clearly isn't.

Ah... CAMS cost ratio is cheaper per member. Less members you have the higher than cost ratio for everything, not just CAMS affiliation :)

Also, I noticed in a document you released highlighting some points from an SAU meeting you had recently, that one of the problems SAU Vic faced along with a diminishing membership base was a “lack of club identity”. In the most polite and objective way, a large part of the problem lies within the whole ethos that defines SAU Vic - as it currently stands, it is more of a social Skyline interest group than a dedicated Skyline or GTR club. Add to the fact some SAU-Vic events are so good, people have basically made identical replica's because their own ones sucked :)

SAU-Vic isn't facing a decline in membership, not sure where you got that information from - it's stayed steady between the 250-300 member mark for 10 years.
The lack of identity was more that there are lots of people new to track days, and don't know who the other person is. Something that was easily fixed with a couple minor tweaks :)
I mean you can't just kick someone out because they no longer own a type of car, over time demographics evolve. You either evolve or you become extinct.

I can appreciate that people have owned such cars then sell them and move on, but when such people bring cars other than Skylines or GTRs to a Skylines Australia club event it doesn’t do wonders for the image or identity of the club. I do not mean to offend anyone and simply wish to highlight a point which many have made. It is akin to someone who owns a Porsche turning up to a Ferrari club event. This is an issue which MGTROC does not have to deal with, as we strictly and strongly have an identity of GTRs only, and though we are yet to hold a track event (which will be held in conjunction with other car clubs to obtain viable numbers), we will also be holding more regular events. There are clubs out there for everyone, and some people may prefer the more laid back 'everyone/every car is welcome' approach of SAU, while others may prefer to be exclusivley surrounded by the cars they love. Each to their own. Each club can undoubtedly provide benefits to its members.

I guess for this reason alone, is why SAU-Vic (and other larger organisation) have thrived and the exclusivity based clubs have come, lived for a few years and then fallen off, taking members funds with them. Not saying that happens every time, it just has more often than it hasn't.
Of course there are a few exclusive clubs that come to mind that have survived, but they've also been around for 20+ years in each instance. Some of those exclusive's actually altered policy and opened doors some 10 years back, very smart move IMO, those clubs read well ahead of the play.
Totally agree with each club can indeed provide benefits. What is better than each club? One bigger one where everyone benefits more :thumbsup:

I have to agree and I love the fact its coming from the mouth of a GT-R owner as well lol

Well, ex-owner, currently. Even whilst having it though, didn't really change my outlook... Did certainly change my bank balance though hahahaha :D

Gotta start somewhere and that's what SAU-Vic does best, particularly when it comes to modifying your car and then taking it to skidpan, track etc Doesn't matter what you have, if you're giving it a go that's better than not. Just going to any grade of SAU-Vic Motorsport event, you can pick-up so much quality information from people that have done it for 5-10 years (or more). And often established workshops are there lending a hand which is always great.

• Like 3

The Stagea is a GTR wagon, does that count?

:P

remember I took Jethros Stagea to a GTR meet....looked more immaculate than most of them, not one of them looked twice at it...

MGTROC members be like

I don't see how organizing GTR only events within SAU VIC would be any more wank than organizing GTR only events within the broader import community...which is effectively what you're doing. It's the exclusive meet with a not so exclusive car that is the wank factor. People wouldn't want to tarnish a group of Ferraris by turning up to a Ferrari meet in a non-Ferrari...because they are rare, exotic and expensive, and can hold their own for people's interest at a meet. They are also brand exclusive instead of single model exclusive.

But when your single model car can be bought and driven by this...

017602-hoons.jpg

...and you make it exclusive...

Then you look like wankers.

So what happens when someone no longer owns their car? Do you banish them and refuse them coming along to an event in another car, despite having been friends with them for years and sharing many experiences with them? Because you do realise that's how SAU VIC evolved into a many model club, don't you? And that we as a club would have died off years ago if we stayed Skyline only? Meanwhile we are one of the oldest import clubs on the scene and I've seen a lot come and go over the years.

To me, exclusive model clubs are a short sighted dream that inevitably comes to an end when members move on, models become less popular due to rarity and being old, and nothing is done to keep the club moving with the demographic trends towards other vehicles. So enjoy it while it lasts, I guess, but the rest of the import community will continue laughing at the Ferrari wannabes...

• Like 2

Gotta start somewhere and that's what SAU-Vic does best, particularly when it comes to modifying your car and then taking it to skidpan, track etc Doesn't matter what you have, if you're giving it a go that's better than not. Just going to any grade of SAU-Vic Motorsport event, you can pick-up so much quality information from people that have done it for 5-10 years (or more). And often established workshops are there lending a hand which is always great.

Let us be real here, 90% of R34 GTR owners have never seen the track, and never aspire too. Showing it off at meets and taking 300 photos and bragging is way more fun.....

• Like 2

So what happens when someone no longer owns their car? Do you banish them and refuse them coming along to an event in another car, despite having been friends with them for years and sharing many experiences with them? Because you do realise that's how SAU VIC evolved into a many model club, don't you? And that we as a club would have died off years ago if we stayed Skyline only? Meanwhile we are one of the oldest import clubs on the scene and I've seen a lot come and go over the years.

To me, exclusive model clubs are a short sighted dream that inevitably comes to an end when members move on.

Can anyone tell me what percentage of paid up SAU Vic members actually drive a Skyline these days? I imagine its low. Excluding non Skyline owners would make for boring track days that's for sure, and exclusivity is pretty pointless if you plan to fill another clubs track day places.

How precise do you need to be, I noticed on the facebook page there are pictures of Skyline GTRs in addition to a GTR.

By the way, Porsche were at Winton Saturday, they seem to have 911 GT3s, 911 Turbos, 911s, Caymans, Boxsters, heck there was even a Merc sitting happily in their club.

I must admit I'm one of the ones who dilute club Nissan Skyline, I have a Nissan Silvia.

I originally joined Nissan Datsun but found them to be mainly in to rallies and their track day was disorganised. A mate from WRX club mentioned they ran with SAUVic who seem to be well run and friendly. I was a bit unsure how I'd be treated by a skylines group, I was pleasantly surprised to find out how welcoming everyone was and how much people knew about other Nissans like mine, suppose we're all a collection of parts from FAST. Long may this continue.

• Like 1