SAU Community

R34 Handling Upgrades

Are you asking for advice or just wanting us to say yes to what you have heard...

If you want quality and decent suspension then dont go to pedders and instead get decent gear like bilstein or mca.

Then go and get a proper suspension setup done by like street to track or similar. If your looking at ebay gear then you dont know what is good, your going by price or by what other cocks have done... You get what you pay for.

• Like 1

So who has bought them and not been happy with them.. anyone?

I had them in my previous car and I've been in multiple cars with BCs and definitely notice the difference between my BCs and my shockworks coilovers which are still relatively cheap. I would probably be amazed by something like MCA reds.. One day!

I would say I was happy with them for what I paid (when I had them in my subaru) BUT this was in a severely underpowered car and in something like a skyline with 250kw + something better is needed. I think that $1200 suspension in a car with 10k into the engine bay is silly, your setup needs to match. In saying that if you only plan on stock power I think BC BRs should be 'enough' but you will definitely enjoy the extra money spent on something better.

Edited by owen1r

So who has bought them and not been happy with them.. anyone?

Not me. Not that silly.

I have been in a number of Skylines with a variety of budget/cheap/"value" coilovers, including BCs, and not liked it one bit, either as a passenger or driver. Invariably too hard and bouncy with poor damping. Spent time trying to make one of those cars better by adjusting the dampers and eventually gave it up as a bad joke. Never found a sweet spot.

What a load of crap, if they are set up properly they are great. Unless they just farked up the Gtst ones? Has anyone tried changing the oil weight to muck around with their dampening?

If I can find the sweet spot at PI with a 2 ton Stagea you shouldn't have many issues on a Skyline. (wrong spring rates aside) They last well too, mine are still copping a beating 5 years on.

Rubbishe valving. lol. You make it sound like shocks have space tech going into them, shock design has barely changed in 50 years. Where they are made in the world should have no bearing on the quality, but Taiwan are making industry leading products and have been for years.

Food for thought Skyline guys, they work great in the Stagea... What are you doing wrong? http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/448132-m35-suspension-upgrade-assistance/

It's not where they're made. It's the lack of sophistication in the valving that you can fit into a crappy twin tube damper.

I would argue that a 2t Stagea on PI is just about the only place where they would work - ie where damping doesn't matter so much. Nice smooth track, fast corners, etc.

Try hussling that barge around Winton or Malalla then report back.

• Like 1

i have to say i have been happy with BCs in my r32, r34 and c34 stagea. I admit i did opt to drop the rates to 5-6 and 4-5 on the stag. they 8-6 they recomend is a bit much for the dampers. this is for mainly street application.

otherwise sydneykids billies set up is golden.
other than that your not gonna find much more recomended to you unless you really up your budget.

pedders = money for no real reason other than people pay for it thinking they are getting something more than basic BC coilovers.

and TIRES, good tires make a world of difference. remember your trying to get all your power weight and handeling onto a contact patch of an A4 peice of paper. use good rubber and do not skimp. i suggest even having a set of semislicks for track use.

since when are BC BR's twintube...?

but really, threads like this make me laugh, it descends almost every time into people so set on their own opinions and closeminded to even considering any other alternative, it's a waste of time even entering into discussion.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't call BC's "good" suspension, but I would call them *great* value for money, and good for a lot of people/uses. No shortage of people worldwide happy with the product. Not the only option out there but not a bad one, Sydneykid Bilsteins with some decent quality springs being another good option. Being able to set your ride height to the exact mm you want at each corner is nice though, which the Bilstein option misses out on.

• Like 1

hi all,

i have no experience with suspension hence i'd like to ask a question.

has anyone had any experience with the R34 factory Nismo option suspension?

just to be a bit more specific. the Nismo S-tune suspension for R34 GTT

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/396471-nismo-s-tune-suspension-system-kit-skyline-r34/

what experience have people had with these (if at all)?

cheers.

What a load of crap, if they are set up properly they are great. Unless they just farked up the Gtst ones? Has anyone tried changing the oil weight to muck around with their dampening?

[/url]

The typical bloke that buys these budget/$1,000 super specials wouldn't even consider to change the oil in them.

The Unigroup RX7 (which races in prod sports) had a set of these in for one race weekend Turfed! Went to a custom set of Bilstiens with no adjustment what so ever. Been in the car for 3 years now. Is doing a much better job. If you know anyone that has a series 7 RX7, there's a 1 race weekend old set upstairs. Proberbly give them to you for a case of piss.

I've had 4 different sets of stuff in my car. The guy that did the UE RX7 did mine. 14 kg/mm front, 9 kg/mm rear. I know no one will believe me, rides softer and soaked up our shit Sydney roads better than a set of stock giraffe suspension. The guy that put assembled them at Bilstien wanted to know how they rode as the valving in them was so far off what you would consider "normal".

0414 553 021. Give Dejan a call. He will tell you what's wrong with those BC's. I hope you have a bit of time on your hands.

The best thing I had done to my R34 GTT is swaybars. I have 24mm adjustable front and rear, you may not need to go quite that big but definitely what I would be recommended as the first thing to do suspension wise.