SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

I ran the 9180 IWG on my 2.6L rb26 for a bit.  It was on full song by 4500 like chris said - but that's a tiny bit laggy for my preference. It made 750whp and broke my R33 trans 4th gear.  Then I installed an R34 6speed trans and really began to appreciate the turbo.  Now that i am putting the car back together i will probably go to a 9174 IWG next

Ok so take my engine specs for example. 2.6L, Como ratio upped to 9.0. 260/10.8 cams with e85 I the tank. Would that be responsive enough for circuit work if I stay with the IWG rear housing?

20 minutes ago, khezz said:

Ok so take my engine specs for example. 2.6L, Como ratio upped to 9.0. 260/10.8 cams with e85 I the tank. Would that be responsive enough for circuit work if I stay with the IWG rear housing?

my car is 2.6L and circuit only - I rarely drive on the street unless driving to the track.  4500rpm spool is late for the small track.  9180 gives violent acceleration.. with a nose heavy RB26 up front, i felt it was too much turbo for this stock displacement on tight tracks.  I prefer spool by 3800-4000rpm so the 8374 was perfect for that.  I expect 9174 to bridge the gap and will try that next. 2.8L might be the solution in the end. also the 9174 has the alloy CHRA and saves 7lbs so thats a bonus!

Edited by Full-Race Geoff
  • Like 1

So based on the posted mph these turbos are performing pretty close to the GT35, GT42s or old tech equivalents, 120ish mph about 340ish kws and 134 mph about 420ish kws. What's the advantage of this new breed? Most GT35s are making 20psi by 4500 on the 26. Am I missing something?

So based on the posted mph these turbos are performing pretty close to the GT35, GT42s or old tech equivalents, 120ish mph about 340ish kws and 134 mph about 420ish kws. What's the advantage of this new breed? Most GT35s are making 20psi by 4500 on the 26. Am I missing something?

Response for road racing or street car is what you are gaining as well as a very compact package that usually saves money if you add up all other parts. Just price a ball bearing garret or precision, plus a gate, plus BOV, plus piping to route WG back to exhaust and you'll find the BW EFR is very competitive in price and features (if not the best value).

If you want a drag car and don't care of bottom end or mid-range response it really doesn't matter and every turbo manufacturer will likely give the same response. Again my car is just one example at only 18 psi boost. But i can tell you that it responds extremely well for a street turbo!

EDIT- i priced a BB CEA 6266 with wastegate, bov and came up with around $2250. Full race has the IWG .92 8374 EFR for $2450.

You'll die but I got my 8374 EFR .92 IWG for $1640 because it was priced wrong on ebay and they honored it. I'm sure they meant to type $2640 but heck it's on the car now so mine was an absolute no-brainer and probably not repeatable.

Also i think a 1.05 housing would be a better choice on my stroker, but I like the simplicity of the IWG. If I feel the 8374 isn't enough (and I'm contemplating it) i may go to the 9180 which is easy swap and I'm sure will have enough turbine flow on the .92.

• Like 1

Also it should be noted that I don't run "antilag" I only have a mapped rev limit vs. speed. At 0 speed I have a 5500 rpms limit that actually is setup to soft cut at 250 rpms before the limit (5250). This limit goes back to 8250 (essentially start soft cut at 8k) everywhere over 2 mph. It's a simple table to make. I found that if I launched with any sort of plus fuel and retarded timing antilag the turbo would spool so fast I would blow tires off the line every time. Just a note...VERY responsive turbo. My brother drove the car home and was just astounded at how well the turbo works with the car for drivability. And to think I'm not on E85 yet and it's likely got 150 more WHP in it!?

ec8f3457bea69d8c4bad34e3567d083d.jpg

That's a ~400whp terminal speed... Seems a bit light on for a turbo this size even at the low boost level?

That's a ~400whp terminal speed... Seems a bit light on for a turbo this size even at the low boost level?

To be honest i was thinking that i need to go to another track as insane as that sounds just for good measure. I mean it could just be hooking that good but I'm only on 255 hankook RS3 tires (yes 200 treadwear sport tires) and HKS's stiffest coilovers. How about the 1/8 mile time and mph? Perhaps it's just falling on it's face on top? It sure doesn't feel like it!

Also I attached my old time slip from this summer. I find it odd that i could have gained 5mph in the 1/8 and less than 2 in the 1/4?!2840c77773ffd7cfff7dfebb4b197fab.jpg

15 hours ago, XGTRX said:

Power its probably closer to 460kw i'd say. its a 33 remember so its got at least 100kg on the 32s. Based on that MPH vs power thread I think some of the lighter 32s were acheving similar mph with less power.

There's the weight and the fact it is a stock motor and box so i'm going easy on the revs and gear shifting.

I could also screw another 5-6 psi into the thing if I'm feeling brave and pick up another 50-60kw.

All things considered I think the mph kinda backs up the power. Certainly wasnt running 500kw on the night.

The BW is just another new tech turbo at the end of the day. I think some people have talked them up to be the best thing in the world. The Precisions and the Garretts of the world seem to work better at the top end and are likely to be better suited to drag racing. 

The Borg Warner is  epic on a street setup. Make meatier power in the middle

Edited by usmair

Thing is, there are ways to measure it. Would you run a standard RB26 to 13,000 RPM, then when it dies jump up and down saying the engine is badly designed?

Operate the turbo within it's parameters and you'll have no issue. How is that different to any other mechanical item?

• Like 1

Don't think just because you put a speed sensor in there that they won't blame you for over spinning it.

How many people do you think that over spin these things and break them will quickly pull up the log of the turbo RPM and send it directly to Borg Warner?

I doubt there would be one and they're not stupid enough the believe otherwise.

• Like 1

Looks like I am going with a 9180 for my street setup, the rpm/boost control is easy enough and should get my response back with predominantly a drag setup, only a couple of hours to swap over anyway.
The right turbo for the application is the key here.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Piggaz said:

Thing is, there are ways to measure it. Would you run a standard RB26 to 13,000 RPM, then when it dies jump up and down saying the engine is badly designed?

Operate the turbo within it's parameters and you'll have no issue. How is that different to any other mechanical item?

I do not care what you buy, you can choose anything and if you abuse it or take it outside the Warranty recommended usage guidelines and stuff it, bang goes your warranty.

How many of these EFRs blow up. If a speed sensor can protect your turbo , you would be a DH not to use it ?

I thought they used the EFRs in all sorts of racing , except for the hard core drag racing ?

Anyway, went for a run in Niks R on Saturday arvo , as s2d4 said and could not be a much better example than Niks car, right turbo for how you want your car to drive and Niks car proves the point, one FUN Skyline and a neat ride, thanks NIk :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

I do not care what you buy, you can choose anything and if you abuse it or take it outside the Warranty recommended usage guidelines and stuff it, bang goes your warranty.

How many of these EFRs blow up. If a speed sensor can protect your turbo , you would be a DH not to use it ?

I thought they used the EFRs in all sorts of racing , except for the hard core drag racing ?

Anyway, went for a run in Niks R on Saturday arvo , as s2d4 said and could not be a much better example than Niks car, right turbo for how you want your car to drive and Niks car proves the point, one FUN Skyline and a neat ride, thanks NIk :)

Nik is who? SAU username? What's the specs on the setup?

5 hours ago, mr skidz said:

Because it gives the manufacturer an excuse to not warrant a product that decides to fly part and then pass the blame on to the consumer it happens all the time.

Nitto/HKS/JUN/Spool/Whatever says there bottom end is safe to "X"? If you throw a leg out of bed, how do you claim warranty?... Good luck!

A turbocharger is no different.

One of my -5's had shaft play like nothing else within 5,000 kms. Did I claim warranty? No. Were they operated out of what they were designed to do? Possibly! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HarrisRacing said:

To be honest i was thinking that i need to go to another track as insane as that sounds just for good measure. I mean it could just be hooking that good but I'm only on 255 hankook RS3 tires (yes 200 treadwear sport tires) and HKS's stiffest coilovers. How about the 1/8 mile time and mph? Perhaps it's just falling on it's face on top? It sure doesn't feel like it!

Also I attached my old time slip from this summer. I find it odd that i could have gained 5mph in the 1/8 and less than 2 in the 1/4?!2840c77773ffd7cfff7dfebb4b197fab.jpg

It looks like it  lays over a bit  up top in all those time slips posted 

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31

7 hours ago, JH32 said:

Nik is who? SAU username? What's the specs on the setup?

Intune, I might get it wrong as I had a few reds , RB30 , efr8374 . 1.05 RH and Poncams   9.15 , Bs I think. If Nik reads this he might sort out if I got it wrong ?

He had -5s before and thought they were pretty good but said the EFR smashes them for response and transient response. It does not miss a beat.

If I had any doubts about swapping my 6266 Gen 2 for the EFR to use on the street , the doubts are gone , have to go to the Piggy bank again :)

• Like 2

It looks like it  lays over a bit  up top in all those time slips posted 
cheers
darren

In these for sure. But what I'm saying is compare these with my new 11.1 and then compare that to usmair's run (on high boost). In still 99 mph in the 1/8 mile and only gaining to 122 in 1/4? Doesn't make sense to me because the car feels strong all the way up (see video) and it seems to be inline with others videos for similar times.