SAU Community

Someone talk me into buying a r33

Someone talk me into buying a r33

Hi guys so I know someone with an r33 gtst thats in good condition which he's selling for cheap. Im not really an r33 fan and was going to save up 10k to try and find an r32 gtst. People have told me to stay away from the r32 because most of them have been thrashed and they are expensive. Is this true ? Should I forget about trying to get an r32 ? 

sorry just need some other opinions. thanks :)

They are all old. Nobody except an R33 owner loves R33s. Having said that the best advice is to go drive the car and see if you like it. Every car is different and I have seen some nice R33s.

You want to be talked into an R33, ok here goes.

Pros:

The 33 has a better engine, gear box, brakes, chassis than a 32. Bigger guards that fit bigger tyres. They where the most produced skyline so they are cheaper and there is plenty of spare parts available from wrecks. Also have a better chance of finding a clean one.

Cons:

They are dog ugly and heavier than a 32. That's all I can think of.

If you can find a 32 with an rb25 conversion with 33 box and the car is clean, then that is a winner. Would also have to consider engineering certs and mod plates for legality.

Otherwise if you don't mind a little ugly, the 33 is the better overall car.

Disclaimer: yes I own a 33 and love it. Kiwi, I also own a stagea[emoji12].

Op as long as the car is a turbo Nissan, you'll be right[emoji106].

3 hours ago, admS15 said:

You want to be talked into an R33, ok here goes.

Pros:

The 33 has a better engine, gear box, brakes, chassis than a 32. Bigger guards that fit bigger tyres. They where the most produced skyline so they are cheaper and there is plenty of spare parts available from wrecks. Also have a better chance of finding a clean one.

Cons:

They are dog ugly and heavier than a 32. That's all I can think of.

If you can find a 32 with an rb25 conversion with 33 box and the car is clean, then that is a winner. Would also have to consider engineering certs and mod plates for legality.

Otherwise if you don't mind a little ugly, the 33 is the better overall car.

Disclaimer: yes I own a 33 and love it. Kiwi, I also own a stageaemoji12.png.

Op as long as the car is a turbo Nissan, you'll be rightemoji106.png.

Dead on, exactly what I was half way through writing.

RB20DET isnt a fantastic engine, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and to be honest if you know ya mates car is good value, know its history it is a safe bet man. I have had a 32 and now a 34, 32 was a bit of a pain to get parts for etc. Man there are some Sexy 33s out there for sure, so that extra 10k you will save buying a newer model with a better engine you can put into tarting her up, or putting into the engine work with more confidence that you will get more gains out of the RB25 than the 20

Edited by Fox R34

I had a dead stock R32 GTS-t (including stock exhaust), I found the RB20DET to be quite enjoyable as a daily, did good petrol too 10L/100km average in Sydney traffic). Changed the turbo to OP6, no other changes, became laggier but not an issue in stop/start traffic. Petrol usage went to 9L/100km average lol.

If you're after a Skyline, R34s would be a better bet these days, unless you find a mint R32. As said already, if you're not a fan of an R33 already, you won't keep it for long if you buy one.

I had a dead stock R32 GTS-t (including stock exhaust), I found the RB20DET to be quite enjoyable as a daily, did good petrol too 10L/100km average in Sydney traffic). Changed the turbo to OP6, no other changes, became laggier but not an issue in stop/start traffic. Petrol usage went to 9L/100km average lol.
If you're after a Skyline, R34s would be a better bet these days, unless you find a mint R32. As said already, if you're not a fan of an R33 already, you won't keep it for long if you buy one.

Hey, sorry abit random i know, but after changing your turbo to OP6 did you get it tuned?

Nope, standard everything. Went hard to redline but didn't do anything below 3,000 rpm. Sadly any future plans were scrapped because my dad put the car into a pole lol.

Thats unfortunate mate. As long as your old man was fine tho.

I want to upgrade the turbo in my r32. Just doing some research. Thanks for your feedback!

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a 33.. but because performance. The chassis is better than all the other skylines. the R33 GTR is actually the fastest skyline around the ring.. by 21 secs from R32.. and 28 secs from R34.. 

The Gtst models are about 40-50kgs heavier than a 32.. big deal. The 34 is heavier again.. Brakes are phenomenal, They look better than 34s, turn better, go faster with less power but can make plenty of power. Im running a T67 25g 8cm and its on fullboost by 3k (14psi) and makes 265rwkw on a safe tune. Going tuners next wednesday with ebc install as well. should make over 300rwkw. Currently runs 255 semis on the rear and theres nothing but traction. Doesnt spin up at all. Good chassis. Good brakes, good power. Interior is very comfy, could drive it all day without killing your back, rb25 sounds great too. What else can i say about it? haha

I just got a 33.. but because performance. The chassis is better than all the other skylines. the R33 GTR is actually the fastest skyline around the ring.. by 21 secs from R32.. and 28 secs from R34.. 
The Gtst models are about 40-50kgs heavier than a 32.. big deal. The 34 is heavier again.. Brakes are phenomenal, They look better than 34s, turn better, go faster with less power but can make plenty of power. Im running a T67 25g 8cm and its on fullboost by 3k (14psi) and makes 265rwkw on a safe tune. Going tuners next wednesday with ebc install as well. should make over 300rwkw. Currently runs 255 semis on the rear and theres nothing but traction. Doesnt spin up at all. Good chassis. Good brakes, good power. Interior is very comfy, could drive it all day without killing your back, rb25 sounds great too. What else can i say about it? haha

Yep and that's why a base model 34GTR goes for 80k ...
Let's be honest here the main reason anyone would buy a 33 is the price.

Harsh... some people (maybe we're odd) value the 33 above both the 32 and 34.
Sure prices show that we are the vast minority, but some of us are out there...

Harsh... some people (maybe we're odd) value the 33 above both the 32 and 34.
Sure prices show that we are the vast minority, but some of us are out there...

True , each to their own I guess .
If its a skyline its beautiful! Arguments about 4 door though [emoji14]
  • Like 1

Ah well...

It just so happens that in 2002, my very first GT-R was a midnight purple R33. And my most recent GT-R in 2016 is a cloud white R33. Hehe...

• Like 1

On 15/06/2017 at 9:35 PM, D34GT said:

Ill never get that aye.. Lets all pay waaaay too much for the worst GTR ever built haha