SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Very cool, cheers for sharing the experiment - love that you are trying these things out! I am a bit dubious about the potential reliability issues, but I love it that someone has the nuts to put the effort it and no doubt market it if you can make it work.

My hat is off to you for going even this far :)

Thanks for the feedback. I will be able to release it into the market soon. It will need few more hours on the dyno with a proper bracket holding the actuator for the final result. also this particular one have taken huge amount of man hour and it is very expansive to build. I will need to find a way to manufacture it so its affordable. Will have further results and a price in 2~3 weeks time.

Even at twice the normal price it's a bargain, still cheaper than most of your opposition. lol.

I am very interested to see it's reliability now, great job Stao.

I wonder if it's possible to get some inconel or titanium to machine the VNT nozzles out of... they aren't very big are they?

Inconel 601 is readily available in sheet, plate and bar stock. The only problem is the quantity that you need to buy in order to convince a stockist to cut it for you. I buy pieces of 25mm thick plate to make the hot end components for rotary kiln burners. A bit of 600x600x25mm runs into the tens of thousands of $$.

If it were me trying to do what Stao is doing, instead of using 601, I'd be tempted to look at 253MA. It has about half the nickel content of 601 so it's close on half the price. It only gives away 50°C to inconel in scaling temperature and it has excellent mechanical strength even up to 1000°C, so it is very nearly as good as inconel. In fact, where the atmosphere is reducing (as in typical petrol engine exhaust running at lower than stoich AFR) then it would probably last longer.

Another option is Alloy 600 (sometimes known as incolloy I think) which is a close cousin of 601. A little cheaper. The next best grade after these is probably 321, which is much cheaper, although probably on a par with 253MA. I'd prefer 253MA to 321 myself. I use 253MA in place of 601 in many applications.

Ok I see if there are better metal then current. Current setup is pretty good. I put in many thoughts of how it could fail and methods in avoiding problems. Every thing moved freely even at 22psi. I think it should last pretty well.

Lets go into a bit of details from today's results. The bracket I made for the actuator earlier don't fit on to the manifold.

bracket.JPG

As I run out of time it ended up been bolted on to the the cam belt case cover:

IMAG1777.jpg

Problem is its not stable, when the engine bogs back n forward as it revs out, The movements affects the actuation of the VNT lever. So we tried to stablise it by taped a small torch on front. This bracket will be remade.

Fist up: This is the same turbo with VNT activated and VNT de-activated. Notice the difference in response.

power2.jpg

boost2.jpg

We did multiple runs on different boost levels. Engine's movement is affecting the actuation direction making the actuator harder to actuate. It wasn't actuating properly. The last run was me holding the actuator steady with my hands (got burnt lol) and of course movements in my body also had side effects on boosting behavior, notice the step in boost curve around 3500rpms. Its probably causing that ripply effect in the boost graph too.

Some of the lower boost runs had VNT lever half open means partially activated.

powerall.jpg

boostall.jpg

Have a look at high lighted area. notice the change in power, torque, response and afr when VNT activates:

demostrationpower.JPG

demostrationboostall.JPG

afrvsdemostration.JPG

For the next run I will use a boost controller to control the VNT movement, the idea is having it pooling the turbo up to 20psi and disengages, The motion of the actuator will be much more steadier once fixed into a proper bracket.

On road it initially has this stock turbo pull and goes harder and harder as engine revs out. Its brilliant to drive. Will upload more results and photos as further progresses made.

This is awesome Stao :) I love your willingness to go out on a limb and try something.

We honestly need more vendors like you in this industry, and you deserve far more credit than you get :)

Interesting concept, i had a quick look into how it works this morning as i had NFI! Its good to see new ideas/things being tried and tested :yes: Good work!

Awesome work :)

In car video would be awesome. Would love to see how it is to drive

How much harder was it to tune around the vnt?

I will post some proper videos later on.

Didn't seems to have an issues on tuning. It was all pretty smooth.

I will love to see turbine housing working with ATR45 turbo. 431rwkws with full boost before 4000 would be crazy for the drags.

I can't imagine tuning being that hard "if" the VNT gradually comes on/off.. then all I would assume you would do is run less timing when the VNT is engaged (making the exhaust stream more narrow and increasing back pressure between the turbo and manifold) and as it progressively disengages you would dial in more timing as there is less back pressure between manifold & turbo.

^ just theory (based on larger turbine housings vs. smaller turbine housings) :)

Martin how does your boost response differ between your last 2 runs?

Your inlet cam was retarded so you advanced it yeah? Mine became ALOT more responsive doing this. But yours still hits peak boost late (4500~)

Maybe you (we) need adapters so the inlet cams can be adjusted on the dyno

Update on the pricing. Because on the very first prototype we've done lot of things that wasn't actually necenssary, they were there because the drawning has been altered couple of times.

After simplify the design and machining process, I should be able to make the VNT turbine for $480 additional that is including the actuator and bracket. So it will be what ever cost of the turbocharger plus the $480 for VNT upgrade.

Lets take the standard SS2 in the trail for example. The externally gated turbo pricing is $1100 + $480 = $1580

That is reasonably cheap for a turbocharger in this level of complexity and performance.