SAU Community

That's a big turbo dude, but no doubt it be like warp speed on boost being a 1300hp odd turbo. What sort of power realistically are you targeting ? Sounds like your goal posts for power expectations have moved quite a bit now.

I too second the Samsonas band wagon 🙃

• Haha 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:55 PM, BK said:

That's a big turbo dude, but no doubt it be like warp speed on boost being a 1300hp odd turbo. What sort of power realistically are you targeting ? Sounds like your goal posts for power expectations have moved quite a bit now.

I too second the Samsonas band wagon 🙃

Power? I don’t even know anymore? In my head it’s still the same, 500kw (which is what the old setup made) for street, that felt perfect. The 7675 will probably make that on 20psi. 
for drags/roll racing??? Whenever the turbo taps out?? Lol 

Id expect somewhere between 750-800kw on the higher boost settings. 
I’ve locked in a set of IDX 2600 injectors to take care of fuelling 

samsonas seems the popular choice by most 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 2:32 AM, r32-25t said:

Be interesting to see how it goes and what it drive like. I’m starting to think you’ll be on the road be for me 

Knowing my luck will be a laggy pig. 
I doubt I’ll be on the road before you, I feel like I’m going backwards 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:42 AM, Old man 32 GTR said:

Knowing my luck will be a laggy pig. 
I doubt I’ll be on the road before you, I feel like I’m going backwards 

Same, I just found more that needs replacing and I’m still no closer to having an engine as far as I can tell 

On 11/4/2022 at 8:45 AM, r32-25t said:

Same, I just found more that needs replacing and I’m still no closer to having an engine as far as I can tell 

We’ll my motor is being stripped and going back to machine shop next week, so back to having a bare block like yourself. Lol 

• Sad 1

If it makes you feel any better I've only done 1070km on my new engine in 18 months- 120km of that at full 600kw+ tuned.

So goes to show you that you can complete your end goal and then be like....what's next ?

Sometimes it's better to just get the car on the road without holding yourself up on the minor obsessive / compulsive details to make things perfect, as it doesn't necessarily make you drive the car any more frequently.

On 15/4/2022 at 7:55 PM, BK said:

If it makes you feel any better I've only done 1070km on my new engine in 18 months- 120km of that at full 600kw+ tuned.

So goes to show you that you can complete your end goal and then be like....what's next ?

Sometimes it's better to just get the car on the road without holding yourself up on the minor obsessive / compulsive details to make things perfect, as it doesn't necessarily make you drive the car any more frequently.

Yes, we don’t get to enjoy these nearly as much as we should. Yes I am being obsessive/compulsive, I want it done and finished, I would like to have it to a point where I can just take it out (with confidence) and enjoy it. 
There is a big difference between not having time to drive it, and not driving it, because you don’t trust it will make the trip or it’s just plain not enjoyable to drive. It’s been a long time since I’ve had the confidence to take the car on a decent drive. 
The only one in the industry who I trust, no longer does mechanical work, so I’m left relying on shops who more times then not, do not deliver on their promises. So I try to research and talk to as many owners and people in the industry that I can, to hopefully make informed decisions of what I use to put the car together. 
It would probably help if I just set 1 goal for the car, trying to make it ‘versatile’ has been the most difficult part.

Im not stupid, I’m well aware that I have selected a turbo that screams ‘straight line warrior’ and a gearbox that’s all ‘street’. Not a good match, obviously. 
Really, a 6466 on the 2.7 with the getrag would make the best street car. 
It’s probably what I should be doing, but it won’t give me the top end I’m chasing, I want one boost setting in the car that’s completely nuts, the 7675 will give me that, but at what cost?? 
The 6875 was supposed to be the great compromise, decent response, good top end, now I’ve been convinced to go 3 steps in one direction. And it wasn’t one shop or person who convinced me, I spoke to numerous people, friends and other GTR owners. 
Some are telling me massive loss in response, other say it’s not that bad? I don’t know??? 
I’ll be talking to the machine shop on Tuesday in regards to options in getting static compression up, want to try to run somewhere between 10 and 10.5-1. Let’s just see where we end up 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

On 16/04/2022 at 1:57 PM, Old man 32 GTR said:

would probably help if I just set 1 goal for the car, trying to make it ‘versatile’ has been the most difficult part.

I think you need to really define your goals first before committing on things. I feel that these days it's too much about who can make the most power, post up the biggest numbers (hence the use of hp instead of kW), etc. Go for a drive in a few big powered GT-Rs, drive it to the city and back and really understand what you want in your car. 

Write down road goals, then select the parts to suit. You'll probably come to realise that massive turbo you want may not suit your goals, needs and/or requirements. At the end of the day, you still need to remember you have a whole 2.7L (unassisted, no VCT or VCAM) of displacement to move that turbine wheel.

Probably not a like for like example but for my car but to put things into perspective. I wanted everything on before 4.5k RPM, 4k worth of usable RPM and close to or a bit more than 500kW at the wheels. Car needed to be competitive at the race track, crack the 200km/h goal down Wakefield Park, with also enough power to go have a cheeky crack at the drag strip and do a high 10. I easily could have listened to everyone else and go a big fk off turbo and make the car a pile of lag to drive but I didn't - also helps I'm a stubborn karnt.

So in conclusion G40-1150 twin scroll the lot, and BMW DCT swap 😎

• Like 1

On 15/04/2022 at 7:55 PM, BK said:

Now you're showing off.

That's more than all of us combined lol.. my car is done, I've driven it 4x times (includes yesterday) in 3 months. Still haven't tuned it, even Alex from Birrong keeps asking when I'm coming in to use his dyno lol.

On 17/4/2022 at 10:02 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I think you need to really define your goals first before committing on things. I feel that these days it's too much about who can make the most power, post up the biggest numbers (hence the use of hp instead of kW), etc. Go for a drive in a few big powered GT-Rs, drive it to the city and back and really understand what you want in your car. 

Write down road goals, then select the parts to suit. You'll probably come to realise that massive turbo you want may not suit your goals, needs and/or requirements. At the end of the day, you still need to remember you have a whole 2.7L (unassisted, no VCT or VCAM) of displacement to move that turbine wheel.

Probably not a like for like example but for my car but to put things into perspective. I wanted everything on before 4.5k RPM, 4k worth of usable RPM and close to or a bit more than 500kW at the wheels. Car needed to be competitive at the race track, crack the 200km/h goal down Wakefield Park, with also enough power to go have a cheeky crack at the drag strip and do a high 10. I easily could have listened to everyone else and go a big fk off turbo and make the car a pile of lag to drive but I didn't - also helps I'm a stubborn karnt.

The number of people who have told me I should be aiming for 1000hp because I’m spending so much on the engine is insane, I keep telling them it wouldn’t drive like what I want and I’d end up hating the car 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2022 at 10:57 PM, r32-25t said:

The number of people who have told me I should be aiming for 1000hp because I’m spending so much on the engine is insane, I keep telling them it wouldn’t drive like what I want and I’d end up hating the car 

Damn straight, you'll hate the car!

Sure if you went to Roll Racing and the strip weekly it wouldn't be so bad, but you don't and it's a street car too.

On 4/17/2022 at 10:02 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

This is exactly what I'm doing with a 3.2

Should be fun when it's finished.

• Like 1

On 17/4/2022 at 10:02 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Thanks for the input mate, I appreciate it. I probably need to be more stubborn like yourself. I had a long chat with R32 25T about it the other day. The man I’m using, who will be setting up the motec is considered one of the best in the country and is heavily involved in many time attack, circuit and targa cars. 
My goal for the car is for it to be set up as a targa/circuit car, that can be driven on the street. 
I think I’ve said this before but I want a turbo that can comfortably make 450-500kw in street trim, but have enough head room to make decent power when turned up. When I saw the stats on the G40, seemed like the perfect option, I discussed this with him and was advised the 7675 would likely outperform the G40 in all areas, and he didn’t just talk, sent me dyno sheets and engine specs of what he had done and what results were achieved, and they were very impressive.

on a 2.7, but running 10.5-1 comp it made 1000nm of torque at 4600rpm, it then holds 1000nm to 10000rpm, topping off a peak power figure of 800kw at the hubs. 
All this at a lazy 34psi of boost. 
We had a long chat about turbo choice, but if I can achieve the above, that would be insane, with the ability to turn it down for the street. 
I was told a proper set up 6870, not 6875 as he had no data on that turbo as he won’t consider anything not twin scroll. It would be more responsive, from memory was somewhere to the tune of 600 odd rpm, but you would only notice this on your first hit, getting the turbo on, once on (between gear shifts) getting off/then on the throttle, they found virtually no difference in response. 
I will be talking to my machine shop tomorrow in regards to getting compression up to at least 10-1. 

• Like 1

On 18/04/2022 at 12:08 PM, Old man 32 GTR said:

My goal for the car is for it to be set up as a targa/circuit car, that can be driven on the street. 

I want a turbo that can comfortably make 450-500kw in street trim

Targa / circuit car with a 7675, so an 8 second 150mph + targa / circuit car ?

Sounds reasonable

On 18/4/2022 at 2:37 PM, BK said:

Targa / circuit car with a 7675, so an 8 second targa / circuit car ?

Sounds reasonable

I can’t wrap my head around it either, but have to be guided by the best in the business. 
im in the rabbit hole, just got to keep digging till I get to China! Lol 

don’t worry, there will be an Albins going in before you know it, it’s the logical next step 

6905B2F4-8BBA-44B2-AC5B-4152C6CFCD9B.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve bought, the same turbo and manifold that’s in this car, same ecu, pdm and software package. 
And the same man will be setting it all up for me. 
and there’s a few more that have made the change, I’m not exactly the Guinea pig here, last piece of the puzzle is to get the static comp of the motor up, which I will be doing so I don’t end up with a donkey. 

142C69F8-3037-40E3-8F75-BF4BC07AAE4A.png