Jump to content
  • Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! 

 

Just wandering if the 1999 Skyline GTT r34's are affected by the huge takata airbag recall? I've had a look around and couldn't find anything =\ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't seem to be included in last week's compulsory recall. https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list#id12

I'm not aware if Nissan issued a previous voluntary recall, but go here and run your VIN to check: http://www.nissan.com.au/owners/owner-information/takata-airbag-recall

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alex182 said:

They don't seem to be included in last week's compulsory recall. https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list#id12

I'm not aware if Nissan issued a previous voluntary recall, but go here and run your VIN to check: http://www.nissan.com.au/owners/owner-information/takata-airbag-recall

Good info! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, I just saw a recent episode of 60 Minutes about Takata's exploding airbags so jumped on the IMABS website to see if our cars are affected and got the below message advising that it's unrecognised our their database possibly because it's an import so I rang Nissan and after a few transfers got to a public relations department and they couldn't advise definitively if our cars are affected or not because it's an older grey import. 

I don't know. I'm a bit concerned and was wondering if anyone has had any luck in finding out further details?

Thanks.

image.thumb.png.aff21c47d4ad66abaf1e36f834913134.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 96 R33 twin airbag, rang Nissan Australia and spoke to customer relations. Gave them the Aussie VIN and Nissan original chassis number and got the all clear on that one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys.

I have a 1996 R33 GTR and 1999 R34 GTR.

Anyone with similar care having got the all clear? I have rung Nissan several times and they have not been forthcoming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Robocop2310 said:

Thanks guys.

I have a 1996 R33 GTR and 1999 R34 GTR.

Anyone with similar care having got the all clear? I have rung Nissan several times and they have not been forthcoming.

If your car is an import Nissan Australia won't give a shit. That's how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

If your car is an import Nissan Australia won't give a shit. That's how it works.

I think you’re right mate. 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Old Rev Head said:

I have a 96 R33 twin airbag, rang Nissan Australia and spoke to customer relations. Gave them the Aussie VIN and Nissan original chassis number and got the all clear on that one.

 

9 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

If your car is an import Nissan Australia won't give a shit. That's how it works.

Old Rev Head seems to have had some luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, PranK said:

 

Old Rev Head seems to have had some luck.

Aussie vin. I take that as being an Aus delivered car in which case they do care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

Aussie vin. I take that as being an Aus delivered car in which case they do care.

Aus delivered R33? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

Aussie vin. I take that as being an Aus delivered car in which case they do care.

Car was imported to Australia 15 years ago by my father, and was first registered here 3 months ago, (don;t ask that's for another time). The 6U number is stamped into the body by the RAWS when it gets to Aus to comply with A.D.R. laws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can SAU write to Nissan as a club or try contacting them as I don’t know about others, but I hate uncertainty and I’ve tried contacting them and as some have corrected said they don’t give a damn about grey imports. 

Like most, I don’t want to lose an eye or have half my face mangles by an airbag that’s suoopsss to safe lives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took half a minute to find this info:

http://www.ironchefimports.com/2017/07/24/takata-airbag-recall-for-dummies/

which leads to:

http://www.nissan.co.jp/RECALL/search.html

Search. Confirm. Relax (or freak out depending on the results)

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GTofuS-T said:

It took half a minute to find this info:

http://www.ironchefimports.com/2017/07/24/takata-airbag-recall-for-dummies/

which leads to:

http://www.nissan.co.jp/RECALL/search.html

Search. Confirm. Relax (or freak out depending on the results)

 

I'll make this an easy-to-find link on the site. Thanks for posting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe the R33~34 Skylines would be affected by the Takata airbag recalls as they're simply just too old. It appears they affect cars from 2008 onwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey mate, car as early as 1995 are affected as far as I know so our cars don’t automatically get excluded. If only the case. 

Edited by Robocop2310

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

simply just too old

has any ever had their 90's era car air-bag go off? wondering if they even work at all

 

Edit: I've hit a few kangaroos and never set anything off, but not sure how much of an impact is required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...