SAU Community

MLR's 86 not a build thread thread

38 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Extra 2kW up top and -2kW mid range! 

Time for me to flash the missus' Tiguan to get it from 162kW to 223kW lol.

Yes, but yesterday I was teaching the boy to do hektic dowies in a local cul de sac.

BTW, what is happening with your beastie?

23 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You win, can't do donuts in the Nazi troop carrier lol.

Umm it's not in the backyard or my mate's shoo any more haha... the siet bok is just getting a bunch of fab work done (that costs more than the car itself, I'm such a bad Asian, fk all ROI)

I'm such a bogan, I just had to Google ROI.

• Haha 2

I'm stockpiling 14mm deep sockets, somewhere, everytime I look for one I cannot find any, so I buy another, it's a mobius loop of fail.

• Haha 1

Cold start is now as loud as balls.

Cold start is for heating the cats up faster and can be tuned out, hopefully soon.

Went for a hour drive to cook off the heat wrap.

I might need a resonator in the front pipe, maybe, maybe not.

Stone guard thingie will go back on after I have heat cycled it a few times and re-torqued it all up.

Sounds hektik, LOL

20190520_175913.jpg

20190520_175928.jpg

27 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

Does it sound like a rexy bro?

Like a noisy one mate, like a noisy one.

Honestly, I really like it, it's just verging on being a bit too loud. Maybe get some unwanted attention type of loud.

I'm going to head into the local exhaust shop and see what they can do, a big arse resonator, louvered not perforated, in the front pipe might knock the tone/noise down enough to make me happy.

A 12" louvered hotdog knocked a heap of noise out of my MX5, I'm hoping it does the same for the 86.

• Like 1

Now with added quietness, with the added benifit of the legalities....

Cold start is still louder then I really like, but, meh.

Normal running it is as loud as my old MX5, but deeper, and not tinny, plus no drone.

Chopped a turbo Nissan coming back, shallow victory though, it was a SSS.

20190522_154433.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Line you up in the missus' fully taboulli Tiggy

SAU should do another drag day at WSID.

I went to one years ago with my boat (R33 GTST) and chopped everything, excellent day it was.

I would do another in the 86 for the LOLS alone, chopping some other daily drivers would be a bonus.

I'll buy the donuts.

Cold start was still to loud

So, now, my current exhaust is a Tomei UEL header, Ultrex 2.5" overpipe, OEM front pipe back.

Going to the smaller pipe isn't a worry as calculations say that 2 1/4" will flow more than enough NA.

And the OEM front pipe will flow the power its making without much of a issue and will save the kittens and frogs for future generations, which is a bonus.

In all honesty I wish I just did the header and overpipe to start with.

Or, stayed with the decat OEM header, 2 5" catless overpipe and 2.5" cat back, the only issue with that is the trail of dead kittens and frogs in my wake.

Like all things it was a lesson, albeit a slightly costly one. 

Dooh.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a play.

Punched out cat in front pipe.

Tomei UEL header showed no gains over the punched out OEM header. 

Hell, the punched out OEM cats with the 2.25" OEM stuff showed typical performance to the Tomei UEL with 2.5" catless exhaust. 

There is only so much NA powers you can wring from a 2.0 ltr boxer POS.

I will be reinstalling the punched out header and selling the Tomei.

Making more noise for no extra performance is pointless.

Yes I'm getting old...

I'm keeping this little puppy though, but, I have a itch that needs to be scatched.

Some cheap old POS might end up in the yard, the plant yard to be specific....at work.......hidden......from "her"

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mlr said:

Had a play.

Punched out cat in front pipe.

Tomei UEL header showed no gains over the punched out OEM header. 

Hell, the punched out OEM cats with the 2.25" OEM stuff showed typical performance to the Tomei UEL with 2.5" catless exhaust. 

There is only so much NA powers you can wring from a 2.0 ltr boxer POS.

I will be reinstalling the punched out header and selling the Tomei.

Making more noise for no extra performance is pointless.

Yes I'm getting old...

I'm keeping this little puppy though, but, I have a itch that needs to be scatched.

Some cheap old POS might end up in the yard, the plant yard to be specific....at work.......hidden......from "her"

Buy something cheap, like an 80 series cruiser. And shove a Barra turbo in it. 

From memory get Barra after June 2006, and it'll happily make 500kw.

So then wind the boost in, injectors, FMIC, and go rip skids. 

Even better run the ZF6 gearbox and turn the cruiser RWD just for the drag racing Lols. 

I reckon you can easily get a 80 series into the low 12s in that combo.