SAU Community

Will my Nistune be up to the task? (R32 GTR)

So I currently have an R32 GTR making 310rwkw's @ 18-20psi (98ron) with a Nistune ECU.

For my next stage of modifications I'm looking to get into the high 300rwkws bracket but was hoping to keep my Nistune.

In speaking to my tuner he's sceptical that it will be up to the task, I understand that a Haltech or Link etc. will do the job better/easier but I would've thought the Nistune would still be up to the task?!?

Current mods and mods to undertake:

• Garrett -7 turbos (rebuilding to -9 spec)
  • Nistune ECU (hoping to keep)
  • Nismo AFMS (hoping to keep)
  • stock airbox (hoping to keep)
  • 660cc injectors (upgrading to 1250cc)
  • Blitz DSBC (hoping to keep)
  • 98ron (upgrading to E85)
  • stock head gasket (upgrading to metal)
  • stock head studs (upgrading to ARP 2000)
  • stock cooler (upgrading to Plazmaman)
  • stock cams (upgrading to Kelford)
  • stock valve springs (upgrading to BC)
  • Walbro 460 (hoping to keep)
  • Extreme HD clutch (upgrading to Nismo twin plate)

…and yes before anyone chimes in I do realise this could be achieved quite easily with a nice single turbo ;)

IMG_7902.JPG

The ECU won't be the problem here. The only problem would be whether the AFM's run out of flow.

Given I've literally never read a scenario where someone running -9's has a problem with AFM's running out of flow you will be entirely fine.

The Nistune can do full flex now, as well as run E85 so don't let that one get in the way either if you want to head down that path.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

The ECU won't be the problem here. The only problem would be whether the AFM's run out of flow.

Given I've literally never read a scenario where someone running -9's has a problem with AFM's running out of flow you will be entirely fine.

The Nistune can do full flex now, as well as run E85 so don't let that one get in the way either if you want to head down that path.

Exactly what my thought process was going into this......

Cheers!

Yuh.  So long as the pulse width and spark can be controlled, there's no reason to not use Nistune.  By the way, that "so long as" condition is entirely rhetorical.  Of course it can.

The limitations starts to come down to things like the CAS, more than the ECU or even the AFMs.  You can upgrade the AFMs easily enough.  But you can't use a better crank trigger against the Nistune.  It would be good for Matt to make a feature pack that allows the ECU to use simpler and more robust trigger patterns though.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Yuh.  So long as the pulse width and spark can be controlled, there's no reason to not use Nistune.  By the way, that "so long as" condition is entirely rhetorical.  Of course it can.

The limitations starts to come down to things like the CAS, more than the ECU or even the AFMs.  You can upgrade the AFMs easily enough.  But you can't use a better crank trigger against the Nistune.  It would be good for Matt to make a feature pack that allows the ECU to use simpler and more robust trigger patterns though.

Makes plenty of sense to me..... ?

Very interested in the outcome as your before / after have similarities with my current setup and what I intend on upgrading to.

Isn't high 300s optimistic for -9s though? I thought that 350ish was typical for -9s.

You haven't mentioned the exhaust setup but I assume that you have a high flowing large diameter zorst?

27 minutes ago, Robzilla32 said:

Very interested in the outcome as your before / after have similarities with my current setup and what I intend on upgrading to.

Isn't high 300s optimistic for -9s though? I thought that 350ish was typical for -9s.

You haven't mentioned the exhaust setup but I assume that you have a high flowing large diameter zorst?

Hey Rob,

I too thought this initially was probably a little optimistic but I'm basing my build roughly of what ActionDan achieved and from memory he netted around 380rwkws...

Remember this will be E85 and aftermarket cams/valve springs...

My issue is going to be more along the lines of my intake side of things I reckon, I want to retain the standard airbox, intake piping, Nismo AFM's etc... Basically pop the bonnet and it look standard to the untrained eye...

and yes I have a full 3.5" custom exhaust setup...

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

Edited by mr_rbman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

Nismo AFM = Z32 guts in standard AFM body IIRC

Not quite.  It's supposed to be 65mm body (same as normal RB26) but with flow vs. voltage curve that is same as Z32.  So the internals aren't "the same as" Z32, because that wouldn't work.  But the combo of the small body and the sensor calibration makes them "look like" a Z32 to an ECU.

• Like 2

Nice zorst!

I had a good look at ActionDan's build and asked a few follow up questions as he had attained some good numbers all right.

I will be looking at similar mods: Kelford Cams, HPI dumps, custom exhaust, bigger injectors, Plazmaman cooler, AC Delco coilpacks etc. But like you, trying to retain the stock engine bay look with factory airbox / snorkel, piping, Nismo AFMs etc.

Will see how it all goes. I have 308KW at the moment which was fine when the original build was done as the drivetrain was ancient but I now have a brand new gearbox / clutch, recoed tailshaft and the diffs are next so happy to have a bit more torque.

I have similar set up as yours and also getting about ~300rwkw on 17psi with 93 AKI (not sure what that is in RON), so I'm interested to see your new results.

I'm confident Nistune won't be an issue for you, and my tuner had done plenty of +400kw Z32s on Nistune with stock Z32 AFMs so I'm sure your other hardware is up to the task as well.

On 7/6/2018 at 4:53 PM, GTSBoy said:

Not quite.  It's supposed to be 65mm body (same as normal RB26) but with flow vs. voltage curve that is same as Z32.  So the internals aren't "the same as" Z32, because that wouldn't work.  But the combo of the small body and the sensor calibration makes them "look like" a Z32 to an ECU.

Ah right, I read about them a long time ago, guess time degrades memory.

Also I believe MINE's made basically the same thing.

Ah right, I read about them a long time ago, guess time degrades memory.

Also I believe MINE's made basically the same thing.

MINE's made the same thing, but with RB25 AFM internals in stock RB26 65mm housing.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, BakemonoRicer said:

Spending all that extra money you are nuts to retain twins.

Those things were in fashion last century

Seriously, go an EFR! Those things are magic and you wont be wasting your money doing things twice!!

Refer to last line of original post.... ;)

surprised it actually took 16 odd posts for it to be mentioned :-P

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...