SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

51 minutes ago, PranK said:

It looks like it's squatting to take a shit.

I have to agree, the fast back just doesn’t look right and the sedan is the ugliest of the lot 

• 3 weeks later...

Daughters new Cerato GT turned up, real nice little rig, she is having a blast "running it in"

IMG_1889.thumb.jpg.67a04efe9a4fbc43bf5ade6f356f6b5f.jpg

Soon I will have the big block Yaris in the shed to tinker with and daily

She has kept the Yaris well maintained over her ownership, although first up, will be a full service, then a good going all over and under with the pressure washer, then detail, wash, polish and wax to get all the squished Goulburn bugs off it, and all shiny shiny

One of my favourite things about new old cars is the initial servicing and cleaning.....weird

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the Cruise Ship a mini service, new engine oil and filter, also drained the diff and gave it some fresh oil, also put some new brake pads in because from a sideways glanced they looked low, found out they had heaps of meat still left, meh, changed them anyway and bled the brakes

Then looked at the weather forecast, it looks good for tomorrow, that got me thinking :special:

Race prep involved me putting the drag radials on, removing 2 umbrellas, a few towels, a pair of crocs, and a straw hat from the boot, the car is now race ready for a few runs down the strip tomorrow night at WSID

I also put my tyre pressure gauge is in the centre console, I forgot it last time and was running around 30 psi in the drag radials

Yes, I do have my local tilt tray guy on speed dial

I will either be posting slips, or pics of the car on a tilt tray......again.....:gusta:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

What was your best 1/4 mile before this?

11.2ish

Then the 11.04 but didn't get a 10.999 when I had another run, I did a big bang when I tried for it though

20230906_194510.thumb.jpg.d63a51bf4d52d50766aca535c6e6b842.jpg

The 4l60e was rated at 600hp at the engine, my car make about 600hp at the engine

I was warned that even though it was a built transmission it wouldn't like big hits on drag radials 

Meh, I'm getting my monies worth out of my NRMA membership, so there's that, LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Booked into Craig's Automatics next Wednesday to see what let go, possibly some billet parts are required, from chatting to them it sounds like the input shaft let go

I'll tell you what though, when I launched it after a huge burnout it just hooked and was probably the best launch the car has ever done, well, until it went BANG

Anyways, time will tell on what is required 

In other high performance news, I pick up the big block Yaris this Saturday, I'll catch the train down to Goulburn, hang with the offspring, then roll back to Sydney on Sunday arvo in Yaris style, so, all of the fuel efficiency, and extremely slow 🐌 😀 👌 👍 

26 minutes ago, The Bogan said:

input shaft let go

Get them to consider cryo-treating the new one. The guys at the automatic box shop across the road from me do a lot of drag cars of various sorts, and in particular some Barra turbos. They achieved much better capacity and life from cryo-treating the input shafts on the Barra boxes, and also on some of the other stuff they work on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Get them to consider cryo-treating the new one. The guys at the automatic box shop across the road from me do a lot of drag cars of various sorts, and in particular some Barra turbos. They achieved much better capacity and life from cryo-treating the input shafts on the Barra boxes, and also on some of the other stuff they work on.

Cheers, will definitely look into that

1 hour ago, The Bogan said:

I'll tell you what though, when I launched it after a huge burnout it just hooked and was probably the best launch the car has ever done, well, until it went BANG

Sounds like you have the process nailed for a good launch.

8hp70 conversion time and enjoy trans brake launches with awesome fuel economy.

2 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Sounds like you have the process nailed for a good launch.

8hp70 conversion time and enjoy trans brake launches with awesome fuel economy.

I cannot justify the coin it would cost really

When chatting to Craigs about what I can do, to suit what I want the car to do, lots of Hwy cruising (so not a built T400 because no overdrive or lock up), and the occasional run down the strip, they suggested a built 6L80e conversion, they rate them at 800hp at the engine, and with my current power I could beat on the 6L80e all day at the drags, to try and run a 10.??? "but" the drive in and drive out cost is north of $20k though

They also said I could then turn up the boost a bit and still keep the transmissionin in its happy place, but then I'm still on stock internals, and stock driveshafts, and from talking to a few modified LS1 owners, and a couple of tuners, I don't want to go over the torque that the engine is currently making

That's lots of coin to spend when you start adding it up, and all to just do some more PB's on the strip, in a "street car"

I'm trying to not explode the budget into the stratosphere, but still have some reliability for the power the car is making now

Adding up risk vs reward

Probable scenario: some billet stuff for piece of mind and added reliability whilst the box is out, but no more drag radials on a sticky surface, the sticky tyres slipping and grabbing when launching and the torque the engine makes is the elephant in the room, which is sitting on the 4l60e 

Whilst a 10.??? would be nice for bragging rights, it doesn't help with cruising around on the street on street tyres, which the car sees 99.9% of the time

The VX is a awesome big comfortable cruiser though, and it fits the whole family in, and it already rolls on hard enough to make me smile

Sad, but true

Unless I win Lotto, then all bets are off

Note to self: buy a Lotto ticket one day 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Got the Yaris home

Fuel economy on the way home used an 1/8th of the full 42 ltrs tank of fuel over about 170km, and it ran like a dream on the hwy (no cruise control unfortunately)

Once home it got some well needed cleaning and love, oil and filter, air filter and some spark plugs, the trans fluid and coolant looks sweet, so nothing to do there

Then I spent the next 5 hours getting it shiny shiny, I soaked the undercarriage, engine bay and body with some truck wash, then hit it all with the pressure washer and got rid of all the built up Goulburn bugs, dust and mud

Then came the first wash and engine bay detail, then polish, then second wash and then finished it off with some wax

The interior got the vacuum and lots of armour all, then the windows, the windows actually took about 3 goes around to get the windows clean, I think my daughter used a oily rag to clean them, they were filthy, the only issue with it is a stone chip on the passenger side, not huge, but still warranting some of that chip repair

It was so enjoyable servicing and cleaning it all, and the before and after is amazing, Oh what a feeling :8_laughing:

The seats still need a good clean with the Bissell though, probably next week some time, the daughter drove around with her Staffie in it, they're not that bad, but not to my OCD level of clean will not allow it

Getting the Yaris back now couldn't have come at a better time due to the Cruise Ship being broken, it is booked into Craig's to get looked at on Wednesday, "hopefully" it just needs to be pulled apart, cleaned, and some upgraded shafts put in, more on that later

Once back though, the Bogan Cruise Ship will be relegated to cruise duties only, so no more racing at the strip with drag radials on

• Like 1