Help Me Defend The Skyline Pride

R33_Rob

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its interesting to read the comments, as it is widely known that both the skyline gts 's and the supra TTs are worthless if you cant hold traction.

Did my shopping and the wrx is where it is at. 4wd, handles, quick, practical, looks better than both the other cars put together. Plus not much gets closer to sounding better than the boxer rumble.

a couple of skylines have, but theres also like 6 supras that have, GAS2JZ, CDUKTV, DRAGER, i think UWU55 might have aswell, and theres a couple more i think but cant remember, thats only is aus though, theres a shitload in the US

The engine setup of the Gas 2JZ is capable of just shy of 2000horses... the problem is, is that that was in a test chamber, and there was no car :) It's still gets over 1000 to the ground though...

I didn't know CDUKTV had hit 1000 yet though... wouldn't surprise me at all, but it was having difficulties at Auto Salon... the same Auto Salon that had an R34 GTR win the power battles... both for outright power and averages... The average was won by a single kilowatt I think :P

img00118zk6.jpg

Stupid imageshack...

img00120kl7.jpg

Its interesting to read the comments, as it is widely known that both the skyline gts 's and the supra TTs are worthless if you cant hold traction.

Did my shopping and the wrx is where it is at. 4wd, handles, quick, practical, looks better than both the other cars put together. Plus not much gets closer to sounding better than the boxer rumble.

A WRX ??? Have You got a rock in your ass or something ? a wrx over a TT Supra ....Obviously you have never had your ass handed to you good and proper by a GTST or Supra yet.Handles...? Great if you like terminal understeer..looks better ? Yeah right they didnt name it bug eyes for no reason did they...Fugly car if ever I seen one...Yeah enjoy your boxer rumble..as any Supra will give you a headstart and go past you in wheelspin

If my track record with police Vs my supra driving friends track records is anything to go by, that is a resounding NO!

But you have to remember, everyone I know that owns a supra is still a tool :)

Except Shaolin... He's pretty cool, I've only met him a few times and forgot I knew him :cool:

Not doubting your experience, but certainly you would not have developed a JZA80 supra to it's full potential.

For starters, I'll be the first to say that the amount of supra owners representing themselves locally on the track is pitiful at best and absolutely retarded at worst. The most hardcore JZA80 racer I know in the racing world isn't doing anything more than amateur sprints in a semi-modified car and on the supraforums there is one person (in NZ) who actually does any sort of serious racing, but again, doesn't even come close to the development put into most work done on track skylines. Most of the people who do invest in track oriented parts choose off the shelf parts with no consideration to how these will work together at all, thinking a mix and match bag of brand names will give them the performance they want.

If you want to compare apples to apples then look at the racing development done in the US, there are numerous SERIOUS track racers there, comparitively you can speak all day to those guys about suspension harmonics and corner weights while 99.99% of australian supra drivers will give you a blank stare and walk off. I'm not touting the Supra as a better track car than a skyline, but they are certainly no slouch when properly researched.

Now onto some of the other stuff in this pointless thread to give it a shred of decency.

I'm building my car as something that can go out onto any tight road course and perform very well then drive to work and then home, I run almost full weight (removed the top of the rear seat only), stock suspension (aftermarket springs) and dyno reading was 278.8rwkw @ 16psi, I'm nowhere near finished yet, but I'm hardly far off, probably another $2k off finishing up the suspension setup and I can start thinking about balancing out the corner weights and I'll be more than happy to lineup to any of you at wakefield or eastern creek.

P.S. friend of mine, stock supra + boost @ wakefield 1:15

Make up your mind. A 2wd GTST is minimum 200 kgs lighter, a GTR has 4wd. The Supra is 2wd and weighs as much as a 4wd.

Which part of the 2JZ? The exhaust manifold is shit, the inlet manifold is arguably the worst design on a performance engine ever, the valve train gear is very average to say the least. I'd put an RB26 block up against one any day, same for the crank. That's a lot of dissadvantages that are only offset by a $600 set of rods and $800 worth of pistons. BIG DEAL.

Impossible, the throttle bodies are all about response, the 0.4 litre does nothing for that. In fact the longer stroke (where the 0.4 litre comes from) is arguably worse for that.

R34GTR's have the same gearbox

Stock standard R34GTR turbos shit all them.

Do the numbers, 315 x 2 = 630 mm, compared to 265 x 4 = 1060 mm.

Let's see a full weight manual Supra do 8's on radials.

What are you comparing? GTST's or GTR's, you can't selectively swap between them to score points. An R32GTST is almost 250 kgs lighter than a Supra. You can't make that up, especially when you stick an RB30 in the R32GTST. A GTR is 4wd, you can't compare a 2wd (that weighs the same), the 4wd wins hands down every time.

The Supra has two strong points, rods and pistons. That leaves 3,000 odd points in favour of the GTR.

I have been on circuits all over Australia with R32/33/34's since 1990 and I have not been beaten once, not one single time, not ever by a Supra. We raced a Supra for 3 years, developed it as much as we could and the R32GTR was 5 seconds a lap faster than it's best, on the GTR's first day out.

Cheers

Gary

u cant compare the GTR with a supra.. 2 different cars with different purposes.

The GTR is a racing car with number plates. the supra is not. I love the supra. its one of my fave cars for the street, but ive also raced them and they are not a racing car. theyre just a really really fast street car

as for R34 turbos being better... ha! what a joke.. id like to see R34 turbos making 280kws everyday all day long consistantly or even at all.. The 2jz is a smooth motor design to go fast on the street with minimal lag. the GTR was not. it was designed to kick u in the nuts. A to B as fast as possible. supra is more like A to B as fast and comfortably as possible. thats not to say the GTR isnt comfy.. but the Supra is more comfy. The supras only real enemy is the rx7 S8. both have sequential turbos, both have massive potential but the 7 handles better and brakes better, while the supras massive torque gives it better top end power once the wheelspin stops.

a GTS-T doesnt have anything on an Rx7 and will never have anything on a Supra.

These 2 cars exist for two totally different purpose

1 is a track orientated racer

1 is a road orientated cruiser.

Both has goods and bads

They both cost BIG $$$$$$ to go fast..

anyone who say power is cheaper from a supra havent really tried hard enough to get "REAL" power

and last of all power delivery from these 2 cars are also world apart.

1 has an explosive feel to it nature and the other has a "GIANT" rubber band effect.

But they have one things in comon, they will hand every HSV owner their arse on a platter in mild tune state.

The engine setup of the Gas 2JZ is capable of just shy of 2000horses... the problem is, is that that was in a test chamber, and there was no car :banana: It's still gets over 1000 to the ground though...

I didn't know CDUKTV had hit 1000 yet though...

maybe it didnt, but its gone past 995 at least, think it made 998 point something.

and to the guy that took the rex over skyline/supra.... HA! lol jk

i dont get the handling bit though, sure they arent bad.... if u like understeer, and for power.... not so good either, and they're more expensive than an equivelant model skyline GTSt/GTt of the same age..., and IMO dont look as good....., and you cant drift em real good.... but ummmm yeah.... they have 4 doors? thats a plus i guess?

seriously though, there is one serously stupid idea with the skyline engine, yes it is good, but the way the air intake goes OVER the engine is stupid. air goes from the turbo, gets cooled by the intercooler, then gets heated up again by the engine and back of the turbo. U might as well run no intercooler. Also, changing sparkplugs, takes 30 minutes on my 1JZ, took my friend and i 1 hour 25 minutes on his 34 GT-T. JZ series engines also have no Airflow meter, except for the economy version of the engine, the rest all have map sensors. yet another great positive. all i can really say is the JZ series engines are just better overall.

seriously though, there is one serously stupid idea with the skyline engine, yes it is good, but the way the air intake goes OVER the engine is stupid. air goes from the turbo, gets cooled by the intercooler, then gets heated up again by the engine and back of the turbo. U might as well run no intercooler. Also, changing sparkplugs, takes 30 minutes on my 1JZ, took my friend and i 1 hour 25 minutes on his 34 GT-T. JZ series engines also have no Airflow meter, except for the economy version of the engine, the rest all have map sensors. yet another great positive. all i can really say is the JZ series engines are just better overall.

i must admit i cant stand the cross over pipe above the motor on the rb20s and rb25s. has proved to be a pain while working on my old 25 and many 20's (as u will know 26s are different). the only real option is to get an aftermarket plenum.

i used to get furious taking the pipe out when i had to work on my car... but then again i have a short temper lol.

Didnt know supra ran a map sensor instead of an afm, but i dont know nearly as much about toyota engines. much more experience with nissans.

No one cares who's is better, you buy the one you like and can afford, both will be shit to some other people.

I like both, the gtr's and supra's.

Supra's may not be track weapons, but i doubt a gtr will outrun a supra (stock vs stock) that much that it matters anyway, and to have a gtr outrun a supra by 5 seconds on a wakefield? track!!! thats one hell of a GTR thats modded way beyond the supra, for sure...why even compare?

For example, my car wasnt even made to be a track car, yet:

First day out at eastern creek, with a very massive laggy turbo(gt42),

street tyres,

stock suspension/driveline(besides the clutch),

stock 4/2 pot brakes

= 1.58(my first time ever!)

Wakefield:

same as above in regards to stock everything besides different springs, and whiteline sway bars.

= 1:13(first time ever and not many runs-alternator died).

Now, imagine i had a decent turbo on there with no lag and some driveability suited for a track! and some practice time + slicks etc...

Car has 160K on clock, same oll 15yo bushes etc...

If you know about gt42's, you'll know its not meant for track work!

Im looking to get a much smaller turbo soon, as ive been hooked by the track days bug :)

A WRX ??? Have You got a rock in your ass or something ?

gold. i wasn't going to say it, because "each to their own", but I think the WRX burble sounds like a fat guy with an imminent case of the squirts. more power to you if that's your thing.

Not doubting your experience, but certainly you would not have developed a JZA80 supra to it's full potential.

For starters, I'll be the first to say that the amount of supra owners representing themselves locally on the track is pitiful at best and absolutely retarded at worst. The most hardcore JZA80 racer I know in the racing world isn't doing anything more than amateur sprints in a semi-modified car and on the supraforums there is one person (in NZ) who actually does any sort of serious racing, but again, doesn't even come close to the development put into most work done on track skylines. Most of the people who do invest in track oriented parts choose off the shelf parts with no consideration to how these will work together at all, thinking a mix and match bag of brand names will give them the performance they want.

If you want to compare apples to apples then look at the racing development done in the US, there are numerous SERIOUS track racers there, comparitively you can speak all day to those guys about suspension harmonics and corner weights while 99.99% of australian supra drivers will give you a blank stare and walk off. I'm not touting the Supra as a better track car than a skyline, but they are certainly no slouch when properly researched.

Now onto some of the other stuff in this pointless thread to give it a shred of decency.

I'm building my car as something that can go out onto any tight road course and perform very well then drive to work and then home, I run almost full weight (removed the top of the rear seat only), stock suspension (aftermarket springs) and dyno reading was 278.8rwkw @ 16psi, I'm nowhere near finished yet, but I'm hardly far off, probably another $2k off finishing up the suspension setup and I can start thinking about balancing out the corner weights and I'll be more than happy to lineup to any of you at wakefield or eastern creek.

P.S. friend of mine, stock supra + boost @ wakefield 1:15

Well to give the skyline dude some hope...1:15 around wakefield is not really difficult to achieve in a R33 GTST..Most of the track days I been to times ranged from 1:13's to 1:18's depending on driver skill and set up.These times were with very mild set up GTST's also...So I really think the guy who started the thread certainly has a decent chance of shutting his mate up