SAU Community

Russman's Time Attack Build

Russman

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome!

Bit of an update.

Got a new gearbox in today. Old one didn't have synchros in 3rd or 4th any more..

Cage is now painted. What a pain in the arse job!!! Don't want to do that again!

Another full day at the factory tomorrow for more prep for Winton next monday.

Had a big successful weekend.

Cage is now painted. Like I said. Don't wanna do that again!

Interior is back together.

Replacement gearbox

The car is back together and pretty much ready for Winton.

With help from my mate Johnny we had the alignment finished at 1am last night! We set up camber, caster and toe. I'm back working in Swan hill for the week so had to get as much done as possible before I left.

Before Winton I still need to finish wiring in my new AFR guage, change the oil, fix my camera mount to my new cage and I'm ready to go!

post-10715-0-78771700-1338896739_thumb.jpgpost-10715-0-15884400-1338896749_thumb.jpgpost-10715-0-50821600-1338896789_thumb.jpgpost-10715-0-56271900-1338896804_thumb.jpg

Next up is corner weighing! Will be interesting to see how much it weighs!

Had a big successful weekend.

Cage is now painted. Like I said. Don't wanna do that again!

Interior is back together.

Replacement gearbox

The car is back together and pretty much ready for Winton.

With help from my mate Johnny we had the alignment finished at 1am last night! We set up camber, caster and toe. I'm back working in Swan hill for the week so had to get as much done as possible before I left.

Before Winton I still need to finish wiring in my new AFR guage, change the oil, fix my camera mount to my new cage and I'm ready to go!

post-10715-0-78771700-1338896739_thumb.jpgpost-10715-0-15884400-1338896749_thumb.jpgpost-10715-0-50821600-1338896789_thumb.jpgpost-10715-0-56271900-1338896804_thumb.jpg

Next up is corner weighing! Will be interesting to see how much it weighs!

Hah it's been ages since I've seen someone do the string alignment! I'd be curious to learn how you do it!

Yeah bris. At least it's only the battery!

Jack. The string alignment is basically an even rectangle around the car and measurements taken from there. Requires lots of patience. Camber and Caster is done with a made up tool. Courtesy of Femino (ACE Workshop) :)

Mate just read your whole build thread! Sounds like a solid setup! Should see a 40 at WTA! Just got my 180 up and running but I've done it in reverse. Cage first and sweet fa hp!

Thanks Bris!

Massive day today at Winton. Had dramas all morning but I think I can put it down to me starting to look at the guages a lot more. Oil pressure dropped from like 6-8 bar to 2 bar sharply under brakes and picked up almost immediately after every time. This was very off putting and didn't seem right. I'm thinking that is always done it and I'm just taking more notice now that I'm stressing everything more.

In an attempt to try and stop the surge we put more oil in and it just blew into the catch can and put oil all over the engine bay. This might be just the icing on the cake coz I can't remember the last time I emptied the catch can... :whistling:

After this had settled down and I was trusting the setup more I was starting to lean on it and wow... the E85 pulls like a frieken train!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's unbelievable! 295's offered lots of grip even though the are quite 2nd hand. New coil overs were very nice and probably a little more settled than the old set. Not sure why but didn't get any turn in over steer like I did with the RE's.

Footage will come but the final time for today was 1:31.29 that's 2.4 secs faster than last year at SAU nats in October and now the fastest skyline around Winton on Semi's. Not sure how long it can stay like that for though haha. Thanks to all that helped out at the track or on the phone.

Disagree...If you do plumb it back to the sump then at least put a valve on it. You want to be able to observe how much blow by you are getting and if the oil is draining back then you dont have the opportunity to monitor. Myabe with a valve you can simply open the valve and drain it back at the end of a session. Also, catch cans are open to atmosphere generally and fill up with condensation and rubbish in a rarely driven track car that is only being turned over to move around factory or put on trailers etc.

Time for a sump. And put a 1 way valve on the catch can return line (remove the spring form the valve), if you don't the entire contents of your sump will be all over your engine bay.

Great stuff Russman.

So what rims and offset you have on the rear end of the car? Are you running GTR rear guards... have they been rolled?

Sorry I probably missed it earlier in the thread, thanks.

Thanks Bris!

Massive day today at Winton. Had dramas all morning but I think I can put it down to me starting to look at the guages a lot more. Oil pressure dropped from like 6-8 bar to 2 bar sharply under brakes and picked up almost immediately after every time. This was very off putting and didn't seem right. I'm thinking that is always done it and I'm just taking more notice now that I'm stressing everything more.

In an attempt to try and stop the surge we put more oil in and it just blew into the catch can and put oil all over the engine bay. This might be just the icing on the cake coz I can't remember the last time I emptied the catch can... :whistling:

After this had settled down and I was trusting the setup more I was starting to lean on it and wow... the E85 pulls like a frieken train!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's unbelievable! 295's offered lots of grip even though the are quite 2nd hand. New coil overs were very nice and probably a little more settled than the old set. Not sure why but didn't get any turn in over steer like I did with the RE's.

Footage will come but the final time for today was 1:31.29 that's 2.4 secs faster than last year at SAU nats in October and now the fastest skyline around Winton on Semi's. Not sure how long it can stay like that for though haha. Thanks to all that helped out at the track or on the phone.

Awsome work!

I had the same problem with my setup....Under hard braking....pressures dropped to about 20psi.... Although my motor didnt pop.. i am now going dry sump.

I ran a Tomei Oil pump with a Hi Octane Sump.... there was always enough oil in this but alot of workshops could not help with my problem. I was talking to a few people

and got some tips off the Gibsons GTR sump design with pickup points/baffling etc.... BUT one thing that did help was a Morroso accumulater (i actually have one spare now :P)

it stored ~1litre of oil under pressure and would expel when pressures dropped.... not really designed for this purpose of pressure drops under braking but helped my circumstances..... I was contemplating to do a external pickup but was too much mucking about on a 4WD that was already running. Also driving style helps... if you can try to settle the car more going into

these corners!!!... hope this helps

:cheers:

• Like 1