SAU Community

Na Drag Race

Hi guys before you start telling me off about how illegal and dangerous and bad it is to do so, I'm just asking for some opinions and thoughts about my question, not the ethics behind it, thanks.

So tonight, I dragged my manual stock 99' R34 coupe against my mate's stock 97' ej8 Honda civic and barely beat him. He's running a 1.6L single cam engine, while I have a 2.5L twin cam rb25de....what amazes me is that he kept up and I just barely won at about 120km/h. Then he kept telling me how he didn't get a good start, here's how I started off the line. Revved to 4k RPM, as soon as the light went green I dumped the clutch and floored the gas changing gears as fast as I could at around 7000 rpm. My tires lost traction after about 10metres and I had to adjust my steering wheel left and right to keep the car straight. I could see him in my peripheral vision and in the end I beat him. Now are NA skylines really that slow that they can't even match a puny car like an old civic? I can't imagine what a drag against an integra type R or even an S would be like, totally smoking an NA skyline, how embarrassing.

In the car I also had my mate who weighed 80kG if that makes a difference?

Are NA skylines really that much of a heavy slow car that eats fuel and is shit at drags?

How would my car compare to other N/A cars in stock if it were identically skilled drivers?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys before you start telling me off about how illegal and dangerous and bad it is to do so, I'm just asking for some opinions and thoughts about my question, not the ethics behind it, thanks.

So tonight, I dragged my manual stock 99' R34 coupe against my mate's stock 97' ej8 Honda civic and barely beat him. He's running a 1.6L single cam engine, while I have a 2.5L twin cam rb25de....what amazes me is that he kept up and I just barely won at about 120km/h. Then he kept telling me how he didn't get a good start, here's how I started off the line. Revved to 4k RPM, as soon as the light went green I dumped the clutch and floored the gas changing gears as fast as I could at around 7000 rpm. My tires lost traction after about 10metres and I had to adjust my steering wheel left and right to keep the car straight. I could see him in my peripheral vision and in the end I beat him. Now are NA skylines really that slow that they can't even match a puny car like an old civic? I can't imagine what a drag against an integra type R or even an S would be like, totally smoking an NA skyline, how embarrassing.

In the car I also had my mate who weighed 80kG if that makes a difference?

Are NA skylines really that much of a heavy slow car that eats fuel and is shit at drags?

How would my car compare to other N/A cars in stock if it were identically skilled drivers?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks.

Your car is a shopping trolley..

Did you honestly think that because it has "Skyline GT" written on the back that it would be fast?

The DE Neo puts out what? 200hp at the crank...10 years ago...so maybe 170-180 now and weighs 1600kgs...not to mention the motor wouldnt have enough torque to pull a sailor off your sister.

As for hektic street drags yo! Against other NatAtmo cars....well being that a Ferrari Enzo is Aspirated, Porsche GT3 RS, 450hp HSV,s and FPV Falcons etc...how do you think you will go? Being that you could barely hold off an Old 1.6L Civic?

Wow....not one swear word in that post and I havent had my morning coffee yet.....something is wrong.

BTW when you bought the car...did you do any reasearch? Did you look at the performance specs and see that the car has less power than a V6 Commodore and weighs the same or more? (than the earlier ones)

You'd probably need 4kms of road to get up to that speed in an N/A Skyline. Did the "race" take what, atleast 15seconds+?

They are slow cars, dont be super street racer, there is no point when the old lady in an excel will fly past you

The DE Neo puts out what? 200hp at the crank...10 years ago...so maybe 170-180 now and weighs 1600kgs...not to mention the motor wouldnt have enough torque to pull a sailor off your sister.

hahaha well said

maybe it was this civic lol

... but unlikely. it was most propably a bog stock shitter that still knocked off an overweighted, underpowered atmo 34

Wow....not one swear word in that post and I havent had my morning coffee yet.....something is wrong.

BTW when you bought the car...did you do any reasearch? Did you look at the performance specs and see that the car has less power than a V6 Commodore and weighs the same or more? (than the earlier ones)

yeh i did i knew they were slow, but didn't think they'd be even slower than old civics

You'd probably need 4kms of road to get up to that speed in an N/A Skyline. Did the "race" take what, atleast 15seconds+?

They are slow cars, dont be super street racer, there is no point when the old lady in an excel will fly past you

no dude, i got to 120kmh ish in around 10 secs

its cause he had VTEC YO

lol

So Much Fail

120kms in 10secs sounds about right. Well driven n/a R2/3/4 series skylines will do 0-100 in 8s give or take.

You should goto WSID with your mate and do it properly and then he can have no excuses either.

The gt-r is not really fat compared to other cars in it's league.

Your n/a skyline compares crap to other n/a cars on the road. An auto v6 commo will hold you off and anything remotely sporty will probably leave you behind (discounting faux sporty cars).

Lol you mention integra type r.. sorry but that will eat your car and spit it out before breakfast. Well driven, they can do 6's to 100 which actually would scare quite a few standard turbo cars from the same era.

Your car is a shopping trolley..

Did you honestly think that because it has "Skyline GT" written on the back that it would be fast?

As for hektic street drags yo! Against other NatAtmo cars....well being that a Ferrari Enzo is Aspirated, Porsche GT3 RS, 450hp HSV,s and FPV Falcons etc...how do you think you will go? Being that you could barely hold off an Old 1.6L Civic?

They weigh in around 1400KG's actually.

I didn't buy my 25GT for drags or w/e, I just like the look of them, it is my first car, but I have driven a GT-T as well as a 25GT (Duh) before and frankly they aren't THAT slow for NA standards.

Of course after I'm off my P's a GT-T or TT Supra will be replacing it, but that's 5 years from now.

So Much Fail

120kms in 10secs sounds about right. Well driven n/a R2/3/4 series skylines will do 0-100 in 8s give or take.

You should goto WSID with your mate and do it properly and then he can have no excuses either.

The gt-r is not really fat compared to other cars in it's league.

Your n/a skyline compares crap to other n/a cars on the road. An auto v6 commo will hold you off and anything remotely sporty will probably leave you behind (discounting faux sporty cars).

Lol you mention integra type r.. sorry but that will eat your car and spit it out before breakfast. Well driven, they can do 6's to 100 which actually would scare quite a few standard turbo cars from the same era.

Thanks for the info man, bit disturbing though ah well...

They weigh in around 1400KG's actually.

I didn't buy my 25GT for drags or w/e, I just like the look of them, it is my first car, but I have driven a GT-T as well as a 25GT (Duh) before and frankly they aren't THAT slow for NA standards.

Of course after I'm off my P's a GT-T or TT Supra will be replacing it, but that's 5 years from now.

+ Fluids + Driver + Passenger etc etc

and yes they ARE that slow for 6 Cylinder shopping trolleys