SAU Community

Are You A Pc Or Mac User?

Are you a PC or MAC User?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No offence but your missus is a hack.

My current laptop is a four year old Asus Extensa 5610 which I bought second hand for $400 about three years ago (it was my retired work lappy) and it's still going strong today. I pulled the heatsink off and gave it a clean and new thermal paste and it improved it even more. I'm going to whack a 120Gb SSD in it on the weekend and I reckon that'll get me through a few more years comfortably.

How your missus went through three PCs in three years is beyond me.

PCs are much cheaper, I find to be far more reliable and hardy and Windows shits on OSX form a usability perspective.

And this isn't opinion, this is hard factually data cause I said it was. Anyone who argues with me is a noob. Go on, I dare you. Argue with me.....noob :D

my work lappy (from when i had my business) is about 8 or 9 years old now. it's a packard bell i think. only issue i've had was a crashed hard drive about 5 years ago. and i've upgraded the ram. still works fine, despite being a bit outdated. my HTPC is my old PC that is probably 10 years old now and all i've done is put a bigger hard drive in it and some more ram. it was also my work computer for 6 years. again, it's outdated, but works fine for playing movies through the tv

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know exactly what it is. It's an Apple approved premium reseller.

If idiots didn't pay such disgustingly inflated prices, they wouldn't still be that disgustingly inflated. Seriously, people complain about petrol prices and then pay $330 for an extra 500Gb storage.....not to mention $200 to "upgrade" to 8Gb ram (I assume from 2). So $200 for 6Gb of RAM plus the 15 minutes required to fit it. That's a rort, no matter how you look at it.

And these prices are actually cheaper than genuine Apple prices. ie. to go from 4Gb to 16Gb of 1333Mhz RAM is $720.01 for an iMac from Apple. That's disgusting. You can go from 4Gb to 16Gb in a Centrecom PC for $60 ($65 to $125). And that's for 1600Mhz quality RAM.

Yet still "Apple people" pay those prices.

Fark, have a bee up your arse already. Apple sells it for that price, but no-one is obliged to pay that much; it's a convenience tax. Any RAM or HDD work (including the stuff from CentreCom, yep, PC parts work), and Apple provide instructions on how to replace them yourselves in the booklet you get with the laptop.

Shit, I try and call it a day, but no, you wanna keep whinging.

I'm in the IT industry. Both Microsoft and Apple certified.

Apple is a POS, that is covered in a nice box. I'll admit they look good... but that's it.

- All the hardware is made by the usual hardware manufacturers - Apple Fanboys think Apple actually make thier own hardware :P

- Software is inferior, but made to look "nice"

- Security is poor

- Mutli user environment sucks (think alonng the lines of Windows 98) - Partially integrates with Active Directory

- People say Apple doesn't have any error messages... That's the main problem for us IT guys we don't know what's going on without error messages!

- Apple fanboys also say that Apple is faster. BS. It takes longer to startup and since there is a limited range of graphic cards supported - I also fail to see how art/designer types/studio people think that their system is faster than a full blown Dell Precision T5xx.

The only Apple product worth having is the iPhone (which I currently own), thanks to it having good Outlook integration and seems to be the "standard" of phones at this present time (Think back to the Nokia 3310). But in saying that Windows Phone 7 (Mango) is also pretty damn good too.

Like Bos - I refuse to use iTunes, which is a bloated and buggy POS.

I know exactly what it is. It's an Apple approved premium reseller.

If idiots didn't pay such disgustingly inflated prices, they wouldn't still be that disgustingly inflated. Seriously, people complain about petrol prices and then pay $330 for an extra 500Gb storage.....not to mention $200 to "upgrade" to 8Gb ram (I assume from 2). So $200 for 6Gb of RAM plus the 15 minutes required to fit it. That's a rort, no matter how you look at it.

And these prices are actually cheaper than genuine Apple prices. ie. to go from 4Gb to 16Gb of 1333Mhz RAM is $720.01 for an iMac from Apple. That's disgusting. You can go from 4Gb to 16Gb in a Centrecom PC for $60 ($65 to $125). And that's for 1600Mhz quality RAM.

Yet still "Apple people" pay those prices.

+1

$330 for 500Gb = Can go fuck'em selves!

You can buy an external 1 Terabyte HDD for as low as $89 all the way up to 2 Terabytes for $149.

Blah blah blah apple bashing, oh but I own an iphone, oh the irony.

Android all the way.

I'm in the IT industry. Both Microsoft and Apple certified.

Apple is a POS, that is covered in a nice box. I'll admit they look good... but that's it.

- All the hardware is made by the usual hardware manufacturers - Apple Fanboys think Apple actually make thier own hardware :P

- Software is inferior, but made to look "nice"

- Security is poor

- Mutli user environment sucks (think alonng the lines of Windows 98) - Partially integrates with Active Directory

- People say Apple doesn't have any error messages... That's the main problem for us IT guys we don't know what's going on without error messages!

- Apple fanboys also say that Apple is faster. BS. It takes longer to startup and since there is a limited range of graphic cards supported - I also fail to see how art/designer types/studio people think that their system is faster than a full blown Dell Precision T5xx.

+1 to all those points. I used to work in I.T so naturally my mrs friends and family all want me to fix their computers no big deal. I just told them I am not dealing with anything that is a Mac so just dont buy one its not worth the hassle. Of course now instead of using her $2k Apple laptop my mrs sister uses the desktop PC that I built for her brother for $400 because it actually works.

What 'hassle' is there in using a Mac? I seriously do not understand. My 2010 MBP was used for Photoshop, word processing, music recording, games, movies, video editing, music etc etc and I think it froze about twice in the whole time I owned it. It literally did not skip a beat.

Had no compatibility issues, no driver issues, battery lasted twice as long as all my mates laptops, awesome trackpad, great screen, excellent multitasking performance, the list goes on.

You guys must be seriously dedicated to hating Apple if you can't see the modern OSX experience as anything but a great, polished alternative to Windows.

When you're talking enterprise I see your point, but for the home user OSX is freakin awesome.

Yep its horrible thats why a lot of home users use them... All the people complaining are either a) nerds b) work in the IT industry or c) simply hate apple because of the persona of so called 'apple fanboys' which gets thrown around lot in this topic.

Speaking of which, is there anyway to put music on to an Iphone without using Itunes?

f**k I miss my old $80 generic MP3 player which was all drag & drop from windows without using this extra application crap.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

Yep its horrible thats why a lot of home users use them... All the people complaining are either a) nerds b) work in the IT industry or c) simply hate apple because of the persona of so called 'apple fanboys' which gets thrown around lot in this topic.

Ummmm... you do know Windows still holds greater than 80% of the home market, right? That makes Windows at least four times better than OSX going off your reasoning :)

I hate Apple because they take people for idiots. $720 to upgrade RAM from I assume 2Gb to 16Gb. GTFO. That's robbery, but then as they say "a fool and his money are soon parted." Perhaps Apple is the IT version of the Darwin Award. "He paid $700 for $60 worth of RAM, a definite Apple contender."

Apple: Cleansing the IT gene pool since 1971.

I hate Apple because they were originally the functional alternative to the controlling overlord Microsoft, now since turned into anti-Adobe (read: anti good things), anti-customisation and "you must repair through us using our gay genius bar" nazis. So f**k them.