SAU Community

R32 Gtst - Track Car

bcozican

Few basic but interesting things re: new stuff and sideskirts etc

Two events in a row I had a failure on a powersteering line at the rack the first time was pre new aero and all this work.... p/s fluid covered the whole underneath of the car right back to the diff, second time was the event straight after getting the new aero etc and not even the gearbox barely got any fluid on it but p/s fluid went right up the side of the car back to the rear quarters

other than being a friggin hassle drama and a pain this 'on field test' with where the fluid went tells me the new side skirts are getting rid of a whole heap of air

also just did a test and tune on Fri... was very crowded track and barely got any clear runs but just matched my PB which was previous to all the new stuff on older tyres a hotter day (rather than night) and on low boost (480hp vs 550hp to get its last time) so all seems promising at the moment like anything though seat time is key

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Recently acquired a second set of track rims not as light etc as the Ce28rt's but good none the less Works MRO's 18 x 10.5 +20's in Matt black

597184753_Worksrims.thumb.jpg.5ef4fec07531aa9802fc43fa70dfb5bd.jpg

After having another session of issues / misfire and putting the car on the dyno worked out had a blocked injector. No other damage luckily. Banged a new set in and finally ready to go and hope thats it for the mechanical issues for a while !

Went to a Sprint day at Barbagallo - went well new PB by 0.9sec at 60.7 first in class and 3rd overall to a crazy radical and an F3 with a V8 in it which were both great to watch

24161318_SESSXmasSprintDec18.thumb.jpg.48028ad9bd7a49e051308f5ec3aa0423.jpg

559569714_SESSXmasSprintDec18Trophies.thumb.jpg.14457beb45bba8e6515c4ff73bcb6a17.jpg

More seat  time now with the aim of a 59 sec lap 

Video below is a 62.3, 61 flat and 60.7 chasing Simon around with his 700hp R32 GTR build thread on here we basically doing same lap times (cant seem to embed it ) 

https://youtu.be/kpXBp3IDJYw

There is a time attack series on in W.A next year so will be competing in that, should be fun

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...

Been a while since updating here but why not..

Im into the low 59s around Barbs so improving on times and still having fun....

would be so nice if I had easier access to get to eastern states tracks or even S.A - maybe one day

At last event in May the old turbo started blowing smoke thought rather than rebuild upgraded to Gtx3582 Gen II 0.82 rear, added a Turbo oil restrictor, 5 - 0 Ignition trigger kit and Audi r8 coilpack kit, also went Rb26 covers with baffling etc

All yielded great results power wise and on track feel (and pretty much dyno) no loss in responsiveness and 26 covers basically stopped my oil out the catch can breathes dramas so far - good win all round

Tailshaft rebalanced and Greg D redid my diff as best he could till I can get him the $ to build me a new one - going to stay with the 4.11 ratio as its just enough but am reaching the limits of the gearing reaching over 7k in 5th down back straight but I like the response and Im able to put the power down still..

2121736035_EngineBay.thumb.jpg.d4580f78dd697312761f13eeffeba811.jpg

A few little carbon additions side splitter aero tunnels taking me to now full width allowed 2100mm wide and also Gurney flap

224054631_Carinpits.jpg.e7023ffd31c221cc3893f6b4b621bb96.jpg

My little brakes have been the topic of many questions and much laughter at times (even by me how they keep performing so well) , but hey they have got me here and into the low 59 sec bracket they've and been great - but sometimes having to trail brake into corners through necessity as I try to brake later and not really be able to stop properly might end badly one day + I see hopefully some gains in times with later braking so bigger brake kit recently purchased.... not on yet will be very soon for testing

Probably a bit bigger than necessary and wanted given my good results from previously smaller brake experiences (weight + heat) for sprints etc and I took some convincing but i'll not have to upgrade size again 365 x 32 disks

98372994_Alconcalipers.thumb.jpg.c87602575e4914c24e674b148284d9b5.jpg
1146943393_Forzadisks.thumb.jpg.c8e458f8b3227f801e208e5e7340a4c6.jpg

I have Collie SESS long track sprint in a few weeks then a few more Barbs days to come id say

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 3

PM sent. Brakes seem good be nice to try... big step from my R34 Brembo's / project my rotor and pads combo but honestly they more than do the job for a sprint and havent failed me yet - if it wasnt tapped in the head and chasing tenths Id be more than happy to leave them as is. Plus Im running up to 633 hp now so pushing it a bit

I do hold 4th twice past shift change (at 7K) at the end of the front straight and down to the bowl at Barbs for too long but thats so I dont lose time changing to 5th, down the back straight its just flashing up shift change just before I brake

New brakes hopefully brake a bit later so tatics might have to change a bit for the holding in 4th

gear ratio calcs at 7k rev say 4th tops out at 214kmph and i consistently see just over 200's when holding and have seen 211 once. 5th cals top out at 255kmph and I see low / mid 240's with high at 248kmph .. actual track data - was interesting as its pretty close cals to practical...but yes there is no room left so 

Diff guru over here thinks a 3.7 - but they also said I couldnt mash the loud peddle out of corners on full power and put it down... but i can

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 1

will see what happens as we have another track over here thats a bit tighter and prob wont even get into 5th driving that next weekend so see how the setup goes there first...

has huge amount of rear grip, still on the edge but can get to it pretty quick

pretty responsive for bigger power all in around 4500

dunno I just drive and hard as I can for what ive got haha

* this graph compares old GTX 3076 gen I to new turbo at 22psi and also 26 psi

1495892058_DynoRb25Gtx3582genllvsgtx3076.thumb.jpg.03eaf21172dc6e4113edf368ec18e914.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

All blinged up for a car 'show' - Bacon and Bumpers - was a good show

Now to pull it apart abit for next event - last time out found it had a blocked radiator randomly - long day for not many laps before it nearly went bang. New Koyo purchased and will flush the system and check over

Bacon and Bumpers.jpg

Bacon and Bumpers 1.jpg

Bacon and Bumpers #.jpg

• Like 1

Its just pretty much a standard p/s setup ie: standard pump etc but everything is braided and yes runs through a p/s cooler.

S14 steering rack and aftermarket P/S res (not needed just prettier)

I dont have any good photos right now but im actually have it apart right now as Im moving the cooler up and over so will try to take photos

If you look at photos above, the p/s cooler is the smaller black one on the right side in front of the radiator and have p/s res sitting up next to pod filter

Powersteering.jpg.acf5193b9547195e7ff736849e4946ac.jpg

Edited by bcozican

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt put it up but randomly had massive overheating and oil p*ssing everywhere at an event a few weeks back. Was a blocked radiator

Flushed block, new Koyo rad in, new thermostat, hoses etc in now, also moved oil and p/s coolers up and out and added ducting around the rad and intercooler that Ive wanted to be doing for a while - was DIY so not super awesome but not bad either

759386903_Newradandducting.thumb.jpg.ab7df58515dd4a28357fc107a44668ab.jpg

Also brakes are on and bedded in.... only a few 80 /90 % er laps I got in after the bed in as it was 39 deg in Perth on Sat but they are definitely better. 

Now to find new braking markets and push the limits

467360727_Brakeson.thumb.jpg.15f6d0e4e4352a7883b967df72f2e75d.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

yeop

after running teflon for ages a line rubbed through got hole in it, replaced it with 'compliant and awesome rubber' XYZ braided hose - had 2 lines blowouts in two events at the AN fitting on pressure side of the rack, so back to to ptfe/ teflon proper stuff and no probs

On 3/23/2015 at 1:22 PM, bcozican said:

Old engine out on the left - new engine being prepped ready for all the goodies and cop a hiding on the right

post-41809-0-00357700-1427069508_thumb.jpg

With engine out can show how clean and basic the engine bay is now - all the gaps in the wall been filled and welded + painted ...all braided brake lines, braided wastegate lines, braided powersteering lines also running s15 rack

post-41809-0-28772600-1427069687_thumb.jpg

Powersteering and coolant resi - relocated and small etc neat + do the job

post-41809-0-89454400-1427069723_thumb.jpg

having previouos also had r32 4 door and built that up slowly bit by bit for the last 5 years have learn alot about suspension so we transferred that knowledge to this car and so far for the little driving ive done in it its great !

Front suspension + brake setup - powered by Max LCA + castor rod combo sitting approx + 30 wider than std, whiteline sways, brembo's project mu rotors etc

post-41809-0-51327000-1427069786_thumb.jpg

Rear subrame shot - running s14 rear subframe with solid offset bushes - this is +10 mm each side wider than standard with better geometry - also you can see full subframe bracing kit by Gkteck - in addition we have changed the LCA pickup points... this flattens the LCA and the additional mechanical grip it provides is awesome. its based off the 90's Jap drag GTR's and makes a good amount of difference, as you can see custom mounting points for the rear sway was needed too

post-41809-0-92794000-1427069898_thumb.jpg

Cheers for the info what's the flexibility of the ptfe line you used for your power steering setup? I'm looking at doing something similar in my r32 race car.  

2018-06-19 19.29.51.jpg