SAU Community

R32 Gtst - Track Car

bcozican

51 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Andrew Hawkins? Does it have a Western Sydney Mode too? LOLOLOL..

There are similarities between your car and Brad's car I must say.

327km/h down conrod was delicious to watch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ActionDan said:

Fair enough, I think about this a lot as I chip away at my build(s). What do you think is your limit? $$? Until you crash/come close? Until you win at a certain level etc? 

I dont actually know yet, as undefined as it is, I think its when the combination of time, effort and $ vs its ability to fulfil my personal drive / challenge to go fast or get better and the want to build and maintain what I consider to be a pretty cool car...tips on the negative

decent crash and Im done dont like it that much to rebuild

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Andrew Hawkins? Does it have a Western Sydney Mode too? LOLOLOL..

There are similarities between your car and Brad's car I must say.

😅 na more of Tassie Mode

Agree though yeah about neo head spec with vct

Yes I have alot of his setup and IP in mine and now his old Rb2.7 billet. He has developed a proven package that just works and actually just gives a sh*t and wants people to go fast

Along with the guys running my car over here now who are awesome its a solid team

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, ActionDan said:

Fair enough, I think about this a lot as I chip away at my build(s). What do you think is your limit? $$? Until you crash/come close? Until you win at a certain level etc? 

Dollar limits for myself in projects basis is: spend lots of small amounts over time, never add them up. Therefore cost feels small.

Stop when it's not fun. :D

• Haha 1

On 09/02/2023 at 2:35 PM, bcozican said:

Updating to a Motec M150 GPRP Pro package with all the gear to try and manage this thing moving forward and help a rank amateur like myself to extract the most I can out of this car eventually

this is going to pretty much require a full car rewire but given the first incarnation of the car was 8 years ago with just a basic package you know what its like when you start adding this and splicing that etc everything just gets outdated and messy.

Motec.thumb.jpg.efe255c2004236af9b130c7232fa5b18.jpg

This will go in very soon and be coupled with a new hot side of Artec exh mani and G35 1050 thats been sitting on the shelf for a while 

Hey mate, did you get this off Brad? I ordered mine off him today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcozican said:

Yeop sure did. Awesome sauce glad he had some left!

You get level 2 or 3 logging?

Had to get 2 for the pro level package, I can't see myself needing more than that. He's a legend to deal with.

Edited by Komdotkom
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

The car is getting advanced at a rapidly slow pace but getting there

Now moved to new new hotside to a 6 boob T4 divided flange, with Precision 6780 with 1.15 rear divided T4 flange and 60mm gate

and as always - nothing is easy 

because  racecar 🙄

Precision.thumb.jpg.b9c8168e8191ec4017dbf6126fcec710.jpgPrecisioncuts.thumb.jpg.0ba9f5f1ef31abdb13263cfecd7c9b8d.jpg

• Like 6

Didnt get to use the new artec/ garrett combo those invloved with the car preferred to use what has been tried and proven combo for them to get 'x' result

For power, response/ powerband, boost control and emap and be running this higher in the rev range than previously 

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah mate. Right now murray has revalved etc the mca reds similar too / essentially mca gold without remote canisters 

But have been through different incarnations of mca reds through the course of the journey.

But mostly was playing spring rates over recommended early on

• Like 2

Proper aero and aero suspension is very specific and different to conventional setups:

Going back to the start of my car build: 

I think MCA reds come out valved too lightly and are valved linearly and with the recommended spring rates are too soft - so people including myself up the spring rates and loose some control trying to balance out the softer valving

MCA Reds out the box I think were 10 or 11 front and 6 or 7 kg rear - was too soft me me even with no aero - even at that for a normal car it was too soft for me I went to 13kg front and 8kg rear pretty quick

As I added Topstage rear wing, then ally front splitter then sideskirts etc ended up at the same valving but 16kg front  with dampners on hard 3/4 and 10 kg rear at dampners hard 3/4 - it didnt handle great/ chewed tyres etc

Then I got my first proper carbon front splitter with good downforce - with the above setup I plowed it into the ground and destroyed it within 2 laps

Cue the people that actually know what they are talking about:

You cant keep Aero cars up with spring rates - you cant put enough spring in them to keep them up in the first place and then if you can it'll handle like a brick anyway:

Without giving IP away:

My cars valving is now progressive - soft initially moving to harder with compression

My spring rates are back to the range I started with / a normal car would be recommended

The car sits on a combination of hard packers and progressive poly bump stops after a certain amount of suspension travel that only allows the car to go so low - which what keeps it off the ground 

The suspension travel - droop etc is all limited to a smaller specific range by spring perch/ bump stops and various other things

Essentially trying to get the best of both worlds making it compliant / softer in slow non aero corners for mechanical grip and progressively harder to sit on full hard bump stops to keep it off the ground 

• Like 4

Id say its because as you mentioned

1) for tarmac   

2) because the gold MCA's have a different builder, parts and methodology (ie: valving) around them to all the others produced with the MCA brand

3) because we are trying to keep mine in a max 50mm suspension travel range 🤪

• Like 2

while we're rolling little updates

Car is plumbed up with new hotside

New full car wiring, motec system with keypad etc 90% done / nearly complete - added EGTs along the way this thing has more sensors than the NASA space station

upgraded gear position sensor as couldnt control auto blip good enough

Found Id bent the front subframe - so got new one plus braced + new front LCA/ castor combo  - this was within 4 events of installing and using ABS after it being fine for years so assume its extra braking load

Had to increase the fuel system now going with intake surge with 1 x lift and 3 x pumps walbro

New aero being put on right now

plus a million other things

might even get to drive this thing soon 🙄😅

Id say it should turn a tyre when we turn up the wick but spose the whole point is to not too haha

how all this is going to end up I dont know Im just a guy having a crack at going fast 

Engine Bay.jpg

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, bcozican said:

I think MCA reds come out valved too lightly and are valved linearly and with the recommended spring rates are too soft - so people including myself up the spring rates and loose some control trying to balance out the softer valving

Very good info!

Funny enough, I just did that for my shitbox, with 0 aero. Has 13kg(f) and 7kg(r) in it now, after the advice MCA gave me.

Going out tomorrow to test it out, either I go slower or faster right? lol.

Btw... your engine bay is mental, can't fit turbo? cut tub lol.

23 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Very good info!

Funny enough, I just did that for my shitbox, with 0 aero. Has 13kg(f) and 7kg(r) in it now, after the advice MCA gave me.

Going out tomorrow to test it out, either I go slower or faster right? lol.

Btw... your engine bay is mental, can't fit turbo? cut tub lol.

interesting to see how it goes.. I may have documented it early in my build thread with only a rear Origin wing (which lets face it does nothing but add drag) I initially  upped the fronts first like you to 13kg left the rear the same - too much understeer still 

upped the spring rate from either 6 or 7 to 8kg from one event to another was only 2 weeks apart - changed literally nothing else in the car picked up 0.75 sec a lap consistently on a 60 sec lap as the balance of car just got better 

Re: engine bay 😆 In WTAC open class terms at least I still have a relative OEM front end most are tube framed - im getting to see why over and above just weight recently ha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcozican said:

I initially  upped the fronts first like you to 13kg left the rear the same - too much understeer still 

I set the front ARB to the softest setting, assuming the 3kg in rate jump would make it understeer. Find out tomorrow night I suppose :D  

1 hour ago, bcozican said:

Re: engine bay 😆 In WTAC open class terms at least I still have a relative OEM front end most are tube framed - im getting to see why over and above just weight recently ha

then next post is, "I did a thing, and tube framed the front" lol.

• Haha 1