SAU Community

R32 Gtst - Track Car

bcozican

22 hours ago, bcozican said:

The car sits on a combination of hard packers and progressive poly bump stops after a certain amount of suspension travel that only allows the car to go so low - which what keeps it off the ground 

The suspension travel - droop etc is all limited to a smaller specific range by spring perch/ bump stops and various other things

Does this ever bite you? Like in slower turns where the suspension is compressed but not quite on the stops, where a track bump or kerb will kick the travel into the stops?

Surprisingly not - or not that I have experienced to the extent its been detrimental - overall the car is the most  compliant its ever been to be honest

In saying that I dont go near high ripples and only take on very low one, bumps on slower corners circa < 100 kmph seems to go fine - relative to a more circuit only orientated suspension setup with no aero I cant say because its been a while now so my perspection might be skewed

We have a track down south at Collie that that is more technical and slower speed corners it handles it relatively well but has a very bumpy back straight I struggle there at speed it skips sideways half a lane at times but not unbarable but I dont think my car is optimal for that particular track 

Also I might add tyres and tyre pressures play a big part in all this - part of doing all this was moving from a 295/30 to a 295/35 profile tyre its a big difference in height of sidewall - the difference in compliance and extra 'squish' of the tyre aids in both mechanical grip and compliance/ handling with the stiffer/ limited travel suspension and management of total actual car travel under compression over and above what the suspension does... but then you also have to take that into account to keep it off the ground also

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, soviet_merlin said:

Looking forward to seeing you drive this in anger over here in Sydney!

I bought tickets for the WTAC session on the Saturday. We'll be rooting for you. Didn't even know this was coming up before you mentioned it.

https://worldtimeattack.com/

Thanks mate! yes its only 7 odd weeks away and my cars not even ready yet 🙄 😅 typical.. 

See you there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Komdotkom said:

Good to see you are going mate, it's a big commitment to get there from WA.

The workshop I use has a car in Pro Am this year and is hoping to get into the 28s.

It massive to get over there, compete at a decent level and back

cant be a big fish in a little pond in w.a forever im ok with it being the other way its a challenge

nice 28's is extremely fast. we think we got a decent idea what my car can do... the problem being the driver and the lack of SMSP track time. But thats part of the game!

• Like 1

I don't think a 28 is realistic but the owner thinks he's Verstappen, but they should do a high 29 if the weather is good.

A good mate of mine has done quite a few WTAC's and reckons the hardest bit is banking a decent lap without getting blocked while the track is fast. He came 3rd one year but that was before people lost their minds and built cars like RP968 and the Tilton Evo.

Good luck mate, are you getting Brad to help you with setup/engineering? I assume he'll be there anyway.

I know alot of people like that 😄 Im the other way - car is good Im junk so I have to work harder

Which Pro am car is it ?

The reality of the combo reaching its potential first time out is extremely unlikely but hopefully have a decent experience and hit out and you never know

Yeop he will be over here in just over two weeks for a few days to get us in the working window very quickly then will be heading things up with the rest of my guys as obviously he has a few other cars too

26 minutes ago, bcozican said:

negative

Get with the program mate!  I knew there was something you hadn't upgraded on this thing.

I'm in the process of doing it with mine at the moment, I'll shoot you some details once it's sorted.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Komdotkom said:

Do you run IR tyre temp on this thing?

Is that an IR setup to get a reading across the tyre, not just a single temperature per wheel?

On 14/07/2023 at 9:54 PM, MBS206 said:

Is that an IR setup to get a reading across the tyre, not just a single temperature per wheel?

Correct, 300mm wide temperature gradient. Might be a bit narrow on this thing though with the massive boots it wears!

8 hours ago, Komdotkom said:

Correct, 300mm wide temperature gradient. Might be a bit narrow on this thing though with the massive boots it wears!

Got link to the specific device you're using?

I know someone who may be interested in one for his production race car.

In the absence of any good quality and low cost units I've decided to make them myself with the assistance of a friend who's an electronics engineer. The components are quite cheap and he's a boffin so I'm just waiting for him to work out the Motec can protocols and I'll have them sorted. It won't work for other systems, will need to be Motec unless your device can configure can messages.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Komdotkom said:

In the absence of any good quality and low cost units I've decided to make them myself with the assistance of a friend who's an electronics engineer. The components are quite cheap and he's a boffin so I'm just waiting for him to work out the Motec can protocols and I'll have them sorted. It won't work for other systems, will need to be Motec unless your device can configure can messages.

Funnily enough the person who would want it runs Motec.
And I myself spend a shit tonne of my working time doing reverse engineering of CANBUS, and Electronics Engineering ha ha.

Just no time left to take on more projects (I have enough already right now :( )

Keep me in the loop on what you're doing :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Usual photo dump from me:

Full hotside and rewire done - I dont get excited about much but the wiring is top notch

Enginedyno.thumb.jpeg.d67acaac97a8c3b41ab1abdc0ef38a39.jpeg

The office is functional and comfy - getting to be alot to remember and think about though sometimes 😆

Office.thumb.jpg.402ef7bdc07b7a0bda61bc1ae3f68ee3.jpg

Fuel system wasnt going to do what we wanted to updated with new surge intank with some walbros and super mega flow fuel filter + wiring and sensors

NewFuel.thumb.jpg.1cfdc0b1fdf25cd93a0cd4120ef51a63.jpg

Finally got it home after few months gave it a wash even in the rain ha

Wash.thumb.jpeg.544021df31a77aeb476d936fd60a4314.jpeg

Fitted up the new Syd Comp aero few other bits got some wrap fixed up and nearly ready

Newside.thumb.jpg.46bd6cf23ecb1f3f7d21418d37a8c65d.jpg

NewFront.thumb.jpg.8bce58d07b0cee92ccf7e61358af8564.jpg

Dyno time was on with the team all went relatively well made good powas - was injector restricted even pushing them to max but did the numbers needed

Dyno.thumb.jpg.118a4b1b767438fbe5f9c51ec4b1259e.jpg

was back to my house for full suspension check, look over, change and other things.

Finally got a test day in 

TestDay.thumb.jpeg.78d72d183f5127e1b3300eb02cc70cae.jpeg

Didnt take us long to get it working very well - pretty good result in such a short period of time, surprised me, but if you look at the million hours of work that went into the lead up it should be expected but not always the case.

Car is just good. Full stop

We came a way with a list of things to change, fix and ammend but nothing major its just work to be done in the next 3 weeks then we are off

• Like 7