SAU Community

R32 Gtst - Track Car

bcozican

• 3 weeks later...

Build / events/ story

this will be a condensed version because a million things have happening in the last 3 weeks

After making the car pretty and complete above went for a private test day to get back in the seat - limited laps due to time running out but sorted alot of gremlins and tweeks out and could tell the car felt more balanced and was happy to end the day with some good runs

End of that week I went  down to our other track at Collie for a round of our state sprint series - the track is more technical and good corner flows hadnt driven the long track basically - by the end of the day was starting to get a handle on the track and car ended up getting class win and 2nd overall to a radical

48025928_CollieNov22.thumb.jpg.f37fcdf54e59680bae170180b8ade641.jpg119603472_Collie2Nov22.thumb.jpg.78e85db57199cfbfb8a877608179bbb0.jpg

We'd had a good day and thought we'd do one more session and go home not doing the last session but on the last lap - bang ...   the death rattle what turned out to be a rod bolt failure and put a hole in both sides of the block

512231657_CollieEngineFailure.thumb.jpg.2a5e590661e709228f978d75b58bd232.jpg

With WA Time attack only 13 days way that we were gearing up for this was not great at all let alone blowing the engine fullstop

WA Time attack is our premier event for what I want to race in and being in little old Perth its hard to get anywhere else to race with ease so we try to work towards this as our big event for the year

All the round abouts and stories in between but basically we decided to have a crack at getting a billet engine in the hole for the event as this was our next move and a long term solution anyway - it was just being accelerated time wise

Pulling out and cleaning dry sump lines/ system and 12ltrs + of oil off a car is not a fun job especially in a time crunch but we got to it

958390015_Emptyenginebay.thumb.jpg.a8e5581be9a46b45dba1f96143288e7d.jpg

We decided due to time constraints etc we would just run the old turbo setup as that would be bolt on and no fab needed so we stayed with that

1062126243_Billetenginebuild.thumb.jpg.6b92c63d7391d0ebeb92122c77300bb0.jpg

finally got the thing in the hole and base idling with 2 days to go

1351822469_Billetenginein.thumb.jpg.11ac86ce95080061b04f7e5c9256ca62.jpg

Tune the next day everything went well and the result surprised us 

This is a Nitto RB2.7 running 11:1 compression with a full house Neo head and the little Gen II GTX 3582 pumped out the powas  making 845 rwhp on the hubber at 33psi

1870766349_Billet2.7Gtx3582.thumb.jpg.146a6785f44e66aefecbb77cbc1903d2.jpg

Next day was full prep mode late into the night but we got it done

The first 2 sessions we battled engine cutting out with fuel cut issues, then we broke a suspension part the guys got to it

205559830_Suspensionfailure.thumb.jpg.aaad24e64f69d721b7e59281298daab5.jpg

Eventually we got a lap in won the event and put down a time attack lap record that Ive been chasing for a while

1232484709_WATADec222.thumb.jpg.e9f8d495ad3f372cbd655812d2632b5b.jpg450038840_WATADec22.thumb.jpg.ecc7ef93ef15dcfb6c48498562095627.jpg

Will just keep chipping away at the things we have planned and get more seat time as have to learn to drive the car as the way its tuned now is very different with throttle and way the power comes on etc which will be a good challenge as a driver to be able to push this to 10 tenths again will be fun

One of the bigger things to come out of this for me is the car doesnt overheat at all the introduction of the new PWR crossflow rad and the Plasmaman cooler has just been awesome with lower IAT and resulting overall lower temps for everything therefore better engine performance has been great

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on the lap record and win thats a massive achievement itself plus everything behind the scenes.

One thing you could do with the dbw you could try is make the 0-50% pedal area = 0-35% TB as an example to give you a bit more pedal down low. Some times this can help make power a bit more linear but can cause issues as airspeed can be faster and make more power.
Look at that torque curve, would love to see an overlay with the old motor.

thanks !

yeah they did change the throttle / pedal situation to prob somewhat what youve just outlined, didnt have a chance to get into details yet so much going on

its extremely drivable compared to what Ive had previously even at significantly more HP now

Im used to having to feather onto the throttle coming out of corners due to the ramp up etc but dont have to now so will have to learn to get onto throttle earlier on apex not after

this is with a borrowed Motec M130 also new M150 with pro torque mapping etc package incoming

Below is like for like new vs old motor biggest things I think being higher compression, smaller cams and adding back VCT that I didnt have before as last tuner took it out

573375088_Enginelikeforlike.thumb.jpg.549dba097d6f97ab50e6e2ed43c54ff0.jpg

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 3

Sounds like a hell of a fortnight, well done getting through it and taking the win! 

It's great to have a team of people behind you to get it to the track and fix it when you are there as well, that makes all the difference in getting results.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roy said:

Oh my!!!!!

thats says and covers I think 😅

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Sounds like a hell of a fortnight, well done getting through it and taking the win! 

It's great to have a team of people behind you to get it to the track and fix it when you are there as well, that makes all the difference in getting results.

thanks was hetic for sure

100% agree I think most of us would agree racing is racing but without mates there and helping and all kinds of things we'd be stuffed half the time and it would be as good either

Im still blown away at how much effort gets put in so I can go race

while this seems like a big flashy car etc and might well be, this is not a cheque book workshop build (as such) we did 70% of this in my garage at home and then when at the workshop I played courier, cleaner and tool passer etc all late into the night there with them

like you guys would ... you put in the effort yourself and look after those that help you and it goes along way !

56 minutes ago, sav man said:

Brad knows how to build good engines

he does .... and alot of other things also. very knowledgeable and helpful (for the right people ha) and has been a huge help in the recent development of the car over and above just all the shiney bits 

37 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

VCT sure makes a massive difference, I still don't understand why people keep on deleting it when it's not really that hard to manage in the first place!

Wild powerband!

yeah I did question it years ago when it was done but went with what I was given now much better

amazing the difference in VCT and small cams (260 poncams) vs no VCT and big cams (278 kelfords)

drivability especially out of corners with the mapping etc vs throttle blaa blaaa is so much better

• Like 2

Far out, that was some shit luck with the dual positive block ventilation system but wow what an epic effort to get it all re done and back together within the timeframe.

Coming away with the win must have been mighty satisfying. Congratulations man, well deserved, this thing has come a long long way. Definitely a serious machine and contender. Keep kicking those goals 👍

• Thanks 1

So whats the thinking on the plenum? Very different type of comparison but i lost torque and response on my 310rwkw RB20. So i was going to RB26 plenum my 2.8L Neo build. Easier to run a plazmaman or even std. My Kinder Surprise RB25DE with no VCT beats RB26 on same dyno, fuel and turbos and can only put that down to the long runner inlet. 

Does the torque mapping mean you have what you can use so plenum isnt as critical? Thats assuming its not bettercat response power and torque which may have been your experience

Ive had that plenum on forever since there wasnt many options and from my experience Ive seen better torque and similar power with nearly every incarnation of diff setups Ive had along the way vs similar .. and then you calcuate the $ spend vs any marginal benefit of the newer ones also... disclaimer on sub 600hp setups

Tbh now... its just a $ elsewhere first thing to improve the car other places and get it to the track

I do want to change it though just because 

But when one of the better rb builders and tuners around atm says its completely fine and wont stop you making everything we'll need... it will stay at the back of the list for now

Torque mapping just used to get the engine up to speed as quick as possible / inputting desired torque level with being within the tyre slip window and not blowing the tyres off for the turbo taking over  for the power in higher rpm

This plenum will still let us do all that

This will live between 5k to 8.5k rpm and new turbo combo 5 to 9k so response as such not needed but its also there If i stuff it 😆 

Edited by bcozican
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Updating to a Motec M150 GPRP Pro package with all the gear to try and manage this thing moving forward and help a rank amateur like myself to extract the most I can out of this car eventually

this is going to pretty much require a full car rewire but given the first incarnation of the car was 8 years ago with just a basic package you know what its like when you start adding this and splicing that etc everything just gets outdated and messy.

Motec.thumb.jpg.efe255c2004236af9b130c7232fa5b18.jpg

This will go in very soon and be coupled with a new hot side of Artec exh mani and G35 1050 thats been sitting on the shelf for a while 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I am noticing a trend here, MoTec + RB25 NEO head + GTS-t = fast track car lol.

crazy how that works hey ... can you guess who helps me develop my car ?

9 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Serious car is serious. 

What's the longer term goal here? 

to be honest just challenge myself .....which in my current chosen discipline is just go as fast as possible probably until Ive reached my limit, something happens that I  dont want to do it anymore or change direction 

Will apply for WTAC '23 and aim to drive some different tracks over time to get out of little old Perth

• Like 3

Just now, bcozican said:

to be honest just challenge myself .....which in my current chosen discipline is just go as fast as possible probably until Ive reached my limit, something happens that I  dont want to do it anymore or change direction 

Will apply for WTAC '23 and aim to drive some different tracks over time to get out of little old Perth

Fair enough, I think about this a lot as I chip away at my build(s). What do you think is your limit? $$? Until you crash/come close? Until you win at a certain level etc?