SAU Community

R32 Gtst - Track Car

bcozican

22 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Great to see it back on track, how big a dent did Brad put in the previous PB?

He literally only did setup laps in the morning on damp track and low power - but still went closeish 😅

hmmm put it this way i went well over 1 but under 2 secs quicker on no more power than previously run, plenty more on tap and old tyres

Only did 11 laps - got told to pack it up we're good

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 3

Really good. The fella goes ok

Got a great w.a crew too though

Dont worry Ive never Had that much success that quick ... ever...  i quickly packed up and snuck away from the track before something happened 😄 🤣 

Hmm drag car, no thanks sounds a tough one

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

😆 nope punked out and flew home last night , mate driving it back... but yes feel pretty junk right now still ha

but yes I can do that.. 

3.5 day drive over was long, not that hard as such just alot of hours but just wears you down - which started to have an effect on you later

Event itself. Summarised

Prac day: 

Session 1 - 3 yr med's no power - found out which way track went did 1.37

Notables - Im not used to using 2nd gear and very slow hairpins, track is very bumpy alot of the times mid corner

Session 2 - same as session 1 - got more used to it 1.36 

notables - was trying to use 3rd in hairpins which wasnt workng - overcooked 6 but slowly getting the track

Session 3 - put old very worn softs on - still no power - 1.34's - sort felt good

two laps a session - total 6 laps going in right direction

Day 1 - 

Session 1 - morning session  - told I wasnt ready as driver but new tyres bit of boost and might just lay down a time

Felt good - little messy but not bad, got blocked on 9 was down 22kmph and cost about .6 sec then through 10 and 11 was getting traction control cuts. Mid 1.34 - shouldve been a low 1.33 at least

Found out front wheel was lifting causing undriven wheel to slow so traction control would cut - fixed

Session 2 - total junk thought someone had done something to my car - track was so off it was like driving a drift car and the car ate a water pump belt - fixed - horrible

Session 3 - not too bad cleaner but not faster - started to forget to push the throttle down and reverted back to old habits not new way to drive the car 

I was just purely worn out at this point 😅

Day 2

Session 1 - was actually ready for semi full send with confidence - coming onto front straight for first flyer the ecu cut power - did 2 x laps with no power - good laps but not fast - hit an injector limit that didnt reset - hence no power - and got blocked - waisted results wise but I spose it was laps

Session 2 - track hot but some cloud cover - little slippery but actually got the drive the nuts off the car with no probs and get a semi decent lap in then the car ate a water pump belt but better

Session 3 - last go - drive it pretty well on medium power was clean enough - for some reason got a cut coming onto front straight cost 0.37 and a 1.32 but did a 1.332  backed that with a 133.4 messing up t2 and 2 x power cuts

Chunky gains other than just track time

Front straight top speed is there and more in it if wind up powas - time there

T1 speed needs to be higher but is not horrible - time there

T2 - T8 hairpins started to get better - time there

T9 stay out wider

T11 - kept messing up the line and understeering - time there

I did a total of 18 hot laps - over the 3 days

I just need to drive the track more 1) for me as a driver 2) to actually start tuning things like suspension, aero, power trims and similar which we barely got to touch

other than the above few what I call little issues the car ran really solidly - we are in the ballpark even with the time we did 

car is very much quicker - the sectors and data shows are good even with what we covered over the 9 sessions which is not us at anything above 80% really

combo capability is pretty spot on to where we thought it would be which is nice to actually see it not just guess

few adjustments - poss some upgrades and some track time and if its not at least 2 ++ secs quicker there is something quite wrong

Overall event was good as a driver and to be honest the other aspects of it were better than I expected also - so objectively while id like it to have all come together a bit better and produce a better time overall a win in reality for first hit out at WTAC and SMP

Actually met Rob ... and a heap of others which was good

anything else just ask

WTAC front straight.jpg

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Komdotkom said:

If you have time I'd love to hear how it all went. Car looked great on track

It sounds bonkers as well! I only have one clip from my potato phone which doesn't quite do it justice. Second car after the Evo in the clip.

Definitely left an impression!

• Like 2

I only saw the results and a bit of the live stream, but you did an awesome job on a track you didn't know, well done to you and the team.

For sure it would be worth heading over either earlier or a separate trip in the month before and just spending a day with the track, you would probably find time everywhere (cheapest time improvement ever!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soviet_merlin said:

It sounds bonkers as well! I only have one clip from my potato phone which doesn't quite do it justice. Second car after the Evo in the clip.

Thanks mate thats awesome appreciate it. Had a few people say car sounded good and bit different to most others..  i never get to hear it from the outside ha

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I only saw the results and a bit of the live stream, but you did an awesome job on a track you didn't know, well done to you and the team.

For sure it would be worth heading over either earlier or a separate trip in the month before and just spending a day with the track, you would probably find time everywhere (cheapest time improvement ever!)

Thanks! 100% definitely agree... will do w.a time attack take a breathe decide if im going to go again and make a plan with exactly that. No point going otherwise, seat time on that track is much needed to be faster and more consistent 👌 

3 hours ago, soviet_merlin said:

Holy shit! That sounds awesome!

It's intriguing me to go back soon and read all the pages to figure out what has that sounding so wickedly different!

14 hours ago, MBS206 said:

Holy shit! That sounds awesome!

It's intriguing me to go back soon and read all the pages to figure out what has that sounding so wickedly different!

even with the rb25 and 3" side pipe and gate into the ground this car had a good raspy note but going the billet engine and increasing to 3.5" and little bigger gate pipe its changed it again... maybe its the head and the extra revs

3 hours ago, ActionDan said:

How long are those sessions and if everything is going well how many laps could you realistically get in (hot)?

Sounds like a very high dollar/lap ratio for all teams 0_0

sessions are 15 mins but they flag you for a cool down after 12 mins. spose if your car could take it you could get 5 hotlaps

but if you going to WTAC to do 5 hot laps a session and looking for a good $ to lap ratio I think your prob in the wrong place

the $$ spend and how each person / team does it is interesting to see

I wasn't joking lol I am keen to hear about the differences you observed while there. 

Only one person I know local to me has done it and said they spent easy 15k to attend, came 3rd in clubsprint that year and hurt an expensive gearset in the process. 

I love the idea of attending, but have a real hard time justifying the cost - but have limited exposure to real costs. 

4 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

I wasn't joking lol I am keen to hear about the differences you observed while there. 

Only one person I know local to me has done it and said they spent easy 15k to attend, came 3rd in clubsprint that year and hurt an expensive gearset in the process. 

I love the idea of attending, but have a real hard time justifying the cost - but have limited exposure to real costs. 

I witnessed a few ways to do it..........

Have a few mates/family help, run older tyres and just drive and enjoy it. Finish where you do

Then theres this way
Money GIF

Engines and sequential gearbox changes, workshop support, data engineer, new tyres every day or every second session.....

From 2 friends that were there in clubsprint one spent maybe  $5k including travel and that, the other over $10K. Its not a cheap event but like any sport/hobby either happy to spend the money to go have a run or go to win it.

My rough budget for next year is $12k. Entry is 1600-1700 for clubsprint( My cars fit open rules), 2 sets of a050 around $4.5-5K (add another set for testing), race car fuel $300, Test day $550, fuel towing $600, Accommodation $1k, food/drink $1k and still need to build the car 😅

@ActionDan wanna sell that sr20ve cheap now.........

• Like 1

im not going to go into peoples budgets - not my place but put it this way my guys,/ crew have been around racing for a fair while and it blew some of their minds even at what I did then the next step up and that wasnt even the top teams

what Rob said as a minimum I think and then upwards from there and if your not prepared to break stuff or spend extra while there then I think youre being unrealistic unless you are happy just to cut laps

what I have gathered recently / rapidly (including myself up until about 18 mths ago) most people honestly just dont know what it takes to give it a go $ wise and application wise let alone do half OK and are very desensitised to the fact these are just not normal cars/ times/ budgets and its not just about buying this part and that and a shiney splitter and video's / incar footage makes it look way easier than it actually is 😅

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1