SAU Community

The ever evolving R32 GTR build

On 12/17/2022 at 9:18 AM, Shoota_77 said:

By the way, I found the PRP turbo drain to be useless. The material is way to thin to weld.  I made my own out of 19mm stainless and associated fittings. Check my build to see what I did if you wanted ideas. 

cheers mate, will do, not impressed really....

progressing pretty well.

picking up the ally tomorrow to have a crack at the cooler piping.. getting slowly better at SS the more I do (still bugger all in the scheme of things...) but ally is far more foreign... for me...

looks like the G series garrets have a spot in the front compressor housing so no need to add a boost reference in the cooler piping?!?

thumbnail_IMG_5870.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5868.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_5850.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/17/2022 at 9:18 AM, Shoota_77 said:

By the way, I found the PRP turbo drain to be useless. The material is way to thin to weld.  I made my own out of 19mm stainless and associated fittings. Check my build to see what I did if you wanted ideas. 

Even the flange doesn't appear the right size for the G30, let alone the threaded fitting they supplied doesn't suit the 26 block 🤨

1 hour ago, mr_rbman said:

Even the flange doesn't appear the right size for the G30, let alone the threaded fitting they supplied doesn't suit the 26 block 🤨

Yeah all sorts of shithouse!

Very nice welds, good job!

• Thanks 1

Looking sexual mate!

And yes you can use that as the boost reference, however I've noticed big builds still reference further away down the turbo outlet pipe work.

I'm not entirely sure why, could be aesthetics?

Can't really use the hot charged temp idea because I doubt it has cooled much from compressor housing to the pipe work.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Looking sexual mate!

And yes you can use that as the boost reference, however I've noticed big builds still reference further away down the turbo outlet pipe work.

I'm not entirely sure why, could be aesthetics?

Can't really use the hot charged temp idea because I doubt it has cooled much from compressor housing to the pipe work.

cheers mate.

going to try referencing from the housing and if no good will cross that bridge later...

4 hours ago, mr_rbman said:

cheers mate.

going to try referencing from the housing and if no good will cross that bridge later...

Why are you not just using your standard plenum pre throttle reference ?

That is what is actually entering your engine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the cooler piping, considering I've never really welded ally tube i was pleasantly surprised with the final results...

Still decided to paint anyway as I'm going for an all black and grey engine bay...

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5892.jpg

IMG_5891.jpg

IMG_5890.jpg

IMG_5948.jpg

• Like 2

Bought myself a new toy for xmas / birthday.

Evo V RSII.

Paid way too much for it but with any luck it certainly should never go down in value, given it's an RS it's quite rare and in surprisingly good nick.

IMG_5923.jpg

IMG_5936.jpg

IMG_5937.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

• Like 5

I should clarify, haha

I am a welder by trade and have been in the industry all my working life (20 odd years) but I've been off the tools full time since the mid 2000's..

Just in case anyone reads this and thinks I've just picked up a welder and managed to pull these out my ass 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mr_rbman said:

I should clarify, haha

I am a welder by trade and have been in the industry all my working life (20 odd years) but I've been off the tools full time since the mid 2000's..

Just in case anyone reads this and thinks I've just picked up a welder and managed to pull these out my ass 🙃

Thank Christ you clarified that.  I was about to drive to Sydney just so I could jump off the Harbour Bridge in grief over how bad my welds are compared to yours!

• Haha 3

Well she's 99% complete with everything I'm comfortable doing...

I re routed the wiring to the wheel well to avoid any potential heat issues...

Leaving the mechanic to do all the turbo and wastegate lines...

My battery fell off the shelf somehow and damaged a terminal so now I got to spend more money 🙃, anyone got recommendations or hookups for a battery similar to the Optima in the same configuration?

thumbnail_IMG_6010.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6009.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6008.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6007.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6003.jpg

• Like 1

Looking real nice!

I've moved away from Optima, they aren't of the same quality as they used to be!

I now run a SuperCharge battery (made for Stop/start applications and is an AGM battery - similar to an Optima), not to mention it's an Aussie brand with 3 year warranty.

https://www.supercharge.com.au/car-battery/supercharge-start-stop-car/?post_type=battery_type&p=173

All the in-laws' cars run their SuperCharge Gold range batteries, cheap and phenomenal warranty.

• Like 1