SAU Community

The ever evolving R32 GTR build

16 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

That's a nice result.

Pretty Suprised they didn't abort that pre tune dyno run considering how lean it was getting.

you mean the red line where it spiked to ~12.5?!

3 hours ago, Count Grantleyish said:

Impressive result, that’s on 98 - didn’t get to read back pages.

Will find time to read back for turbos details and whatnot.

definitely E85 (well E80 to be precise) 

335kw @ 20psi on 98RON

391kw @ 24psi on E85

417kw @ 26psi on E85 (airbox cracked open)

Sorry if my post was misleading to anyone.

Great result mate.

I am interested to compare to mine as the builds are similarish.

I get 360kw @22psi on e85. No idea on 98 figure but I was at 308kw prior to upgrades and retune so maybe little more.

So the differences are the custom -7s; 2psi; Kelford cams and exhaust. I have Apexi pods so probably breathe a bit better compared to factory airbox.

11 hours ago, r32-25t said:

A great result considering this is their -7 equivalent, hows it drive compared to normal -7s? 

Given it was 2+ years since having driven it properly with the original -7's my answer may be a little inaccurate.....but even when I was driving around on the run in tune (280ish rwkws @ 13 psi on 98ron) I thought even then they felt better than my old -7 setup (310ish rwkws @ 20 psi on 98 ron)

I honestly feel going the extra mile with little things like port matching everything attaching to the turbos, properly dialing in the cams etc has helped...

6 hours ago, Robzilla32 said:

Great result mate.

I am interested to compare to mine as the builds are similarish.

I get 360kw @22psi on e85. No idea on 98 figure but I was at 308kw prior to upgrades and retune so maybe little more.

So the differences are the custom -7s; 2psi; Kelford cams and exhaust. I have Apexi pods so probably breathe a bit better compared to factory airbox.

I knew my airbox / standard intake piping was going to be my limiting factor, just by how much was the unknown...

Even my tuner was caught a little off guard when he cracked the airbox and the power increased as it did... When he called me he said he could play around more with that tune in that state but i told him not to waste his time as I wasn't going to be driving around with the airbox cracked open and to just focus on the tune with the airbox closed...

I guess it's a bit like the intercooler argument with GTR's, you can make the power but how efficiently you do it is another thing... Both the stock intercooler and airbox are perfectly good I feel for 350ish rwkw's but after that I think it's best to consider other options... Intercooler was a no brainer for me but i really like the stock airbox look with 32 GTR engine bays and at least this way I can hopefully preserve my gearbox etc for a little longer not chasing that bit more power... (for now ?)

20 hours ago, mr_rbman said:

you mean the red line where it spiked to ~12.5?!

That is a bit odd also, but I was referring to the second printout, where the aafr is getting consistently leaner as revs increase and it went to 13 :1.

• Like 1

Problem with AFMs, by cracking the lid you may have changed the characteristics of how the air was passed through the units resulting in different calculations.

Another reason why pod filter companies cab claim their pods make so much more power etc. when you remove your stock airbox (on modern cars that is, older cars actually did have restrictive designs).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

That is a bit odd also, but I was referring to the second printout, where the aafr is getting consistently leaner as revs increase and it went to 13 :1.

ah yep, with you now... that was the 98 run where fuel pressure dropped due to a fuel pump issue from memory, I wasn't there whilst all this was happening so i'm trying to recall phone conversations...

tuner said he could spend some time tuning with the airbox cracked (to tidy up those issues) but as i mentioned i'll never drive it like that so couldn't see the point...

mainly just wanted to confirm my suspicions of the airbox being a restriction at those power levels and if so by how much...

Edited by mr_rbman

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Problem with AFMs, by cracking the lid you may have changed the characteristics of how the air was passed through the units resulting in different calculations.

Another reason why pod filter companies cab claim their pods make so much more power etc. when you remove your stock airbox (on modern cars that is, older cars actually did have restrictive designs).

yup, my setup definitely has it's restrictions/drawbacks with my want for the relatively 'standard' look and the AFM's / airbox certainly show this...

can't have my cake and eat it too i guess ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Had my Bilsteins rebuilt ~$600 later just for the rear pair ??

Oh well, hopefully they'll be good for many years to come at least...

Bought a new house with the missus on some land, already researching sheds ? Move in from the 10th of August...

Comes with a 3 bay shed already but is very low, won't even fit my ranger in and I want a hoist ?

Edited by mr_rbman

• 2 weeks later...

Have now setup the heights as per the recommended 355mm front and 345mm rear (not sure I like the look yet). Fitted my refurbished wheels with my Nankang NS2R's (TW120)...

Pics are taken at the new place (7.5acres) with me channeling my inner crocodile dundee with one of my lawnmowers that were included with the property...

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Went with the Optima yellow top, didn't realise how shitty my old battery was til fitting this...

Even on E85 and <5 degree mornings it starts first crank, never thought I'd be so happy buying an expensive battery ?

sah hawt... sometimes I wish I bought a R32 GT-R back in the day...

It was between a R33 S2 GTS-t Anniversary or a R32 GT-R.. I chose the R33 S2 boat (mainly because it had dual airbags)..this was in 2007 or so when they both cost the same.

I sold that shit box and pretended to "adult" a bit, got bored and bought another R33, this time a much shitter one with shit everything. The joys of inappropriate spending hahaha..

Anyhow, I digress.. looks hot with those wheels, maybe next is a Samsonas and call it a day LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

sah hawt... sometimes I wish I bought a R32 GT-R back in the day...

It was between a R33 S2 GTS-t Anniversary or a R32 GT-R.. I chose the R33 S2 boat (mainly because it had dual airbags)..this was in 2007 or so when they both cost the same.

I sold that shit box and pretended to "adult" a bit, got bored and bought another R33, this time a much shitter one with shit everything. The joys of inappropriate spending hahaha..

Anyhow, I digress.. looks hot with those wheels, maybe next is a Samsonas and call it a day LOL

Haha, I remember those days... Though I was debating between a 32 gts-t and 32 GTR (back when the price difference was only a few thousand... 

Samsonas hey, haha. Thankfully I've sold the S15 and in the process of looking for a dedicated track car (have my eye on an S13 with an RB25 with some panel damage) so the GTR just gets the occasional drive and the ~400rwkws is more than adequate for that... If/When third gear leaves me though I can't see myself just replacing with another 5 speed. I think I'll go down the getrag 6 speed route though...