SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

Hey neil i just read through the whole thread, very impressive and must say interesting approach to modifying the car. No fancy aftermarket parts, just the basic stuff. I am planning on doing the same, on a student budget though lol

Out of curiosity what oil cooler and lines are you running? Recommend anyone for alignment?

28 pages is a lot to read mate,,,glad you hung in there and read it all.

As time goes on Cheryl gets quicker and quicker and while that is the case I'm very reluctant these days to push her beyond my driving capabllities,,,I have crashed my bitch at a national round which was a little embarrassing.

I'm running a Just Jap oil cooler and oil filter relocation kit.,,,works a treat.

Sorry but I can't help with wheel alignment peeps,,, I use a liitle workshop that wants to stay little.

Cheers

Neil.

I needed another practice day before the end of the year so we did the last speed off the streets day at Wakie (21st December). How busy was this day, 119 cars and all the race cars were dumped into 1 group. I was out with everything from Hyundai excels to state sports sedans all in the same group. I have never overtaken and been overtaken by so many cars in my life and all this in 38 degree temps, it was a mad day.

Upshot of all this was 2 new issues I need to address

Cheryls rear end has now become loose, out of turn 2 and the fish hook I can carry a drift without even trying. Now while thats fun its not great for lap times. I have changed from Federals to Kuhmo v700s so that shouldnt be a problem. That only leaves 2 other mods being my boost is coming on way sooner now and my new front splitter. So Im going to have to look at rear down force which means a big gay rear spoiler. Question is will my carbon fibre boot lid handle the down force or will I have to go back to the factory boot lid.

My other issue is, after all this time I think I have finally outlived my factory brakes. The cars going quicker and quicker and Im struggling to pull her up. As an example I could easily brake way past the 100 metre sign after the back straight at Wakie, now Im braking at the sign and the car is very nervous. While they have been great, its now time to move on. Im being out-braked by cars that I should be all over under brakes. Ive been expecting this to happen and have spend ages looking at upgrades but Im not really prepared to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on new big shiny name brand kits. So as luck would have it Duncan and I were cleaning out the container and I came across some hats and dog bones. I was hoping to test fit his old discs to the hats and maybe just have to buy calipers. Bugger me when we get back to his place he has his old G4 kit doing nothing. Test fitted them this weekend and they fit perfectly. I only have to machine the stub axle mounting holes from 12mm to 14mm. So it will be interesting to see what 330mm discs and 8 piston calipers are like.

post-29-0-09099600-1419734075_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-70154300-1419734089_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-02218100-1419734121_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-95896400-1419734136_thumb.jpg

Might have to book a John Boston day on the 10/01/2015.

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 2

Sounds like the new front splitter is really doing something and improving front end stability.

Having the boost come on earlier changes the handling characteristics of a car a far bit especially out of slower corners. Turn two and the fish hook are slower corners at Wakefield and I would question if they are fast enough for a bigger rear wing to be able to provide a lot of assistance.

Increased rear mechanical grip is something that you should think about. On our car we reduced the amount of negative camber on the rear and the action of standing the tyres up improved power down out of slower corners and kept the car straighter.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like the new front splitter is really doing something and improving front end stability.

Having the boost come on earlier changes the handling characteristics of a car a far bit especially out of slower corners. Turn two and the fish hook are slower corners at Wakefield and I would question if they are fast enough for a bigger rear wing to be able to provide a lot of assistance.

Increased rear mechanical grip is something that you should think about. On our car we reduced the amount of negative camber on the rear and the action of standing the tyres up improved power down out of slower corners and kept the car straighter.

Charles the jury is still out,,,at Marulan and Bathurst I was still experiencing rear end instability and I'll make a decision after the Canberra round on a different rear spoiler.

Having the boost come on early has actually made the car much smoother and I'm now never using low boost ever.

I have almost zero camber in the rear but I am about due for an alignment so I'll post what they are when that happens. Maybe a castor adjustment might help?. Stuffed if I really know,,,suspension geometry is like a black art to me. What I do like though is the front end is absolutely beautiful,,,understeer just doesn't exist.

Cheers for your input mate,, it's very much appreciated.

Neil.

Been a while since an update. Has Cheryl taken any lap records or made any podiums this year?

Funny you mention that Mr Handley,,,so far this year I have won my class and set a class lap record at Marulan's round of the hillclimb champs,,,be it I was the only car in my class and it was their 1st hillclimb. I'll take it anyway I can.

Bathurst was much better than I expected,,,4th up the esses on Saturday and 3rd up mountain straight on Sunday,,,. up against very quick over 1600cc clubmans. Fantastic results for such a big heavy car.

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 1

Alignment

You have changed

Wanka

I beleive it's spelt "Wanker" you big titted bitch.

The scrutineers have been hassling me to run door trims for ages so with the help of Dale(FZ1)I got these made from MR Fabrications up in QLD. Very nicey made indeed. I chucked them on quickly so I'll have to do a proper job before the Canberra round. I'm undecided whether to leave them as they are or paint them or maybe cover them in real black vinyl/black alcantara or carbon wrap.

post-29-0-43146900-1425714328_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-81228400-1425714488_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 2

Door trims look great Neil. Michael did a great job.

You can't leave them raw aluminium; shows up the little scratches that will happen easily.

I'm going with powder coating on mine. Simple, hard, durable, cheap.

Carbon wrap would look good if you've got it in other areas.

Yea the door trims are great and I would highly recommend Michael to anybody that needs a set,,,THANKS Dale.

bcozican and Dale I love your idea boys,,, as I have a set of Wed wheels that need powdercoating and I think I'll get the trims done in the same bright blue I'm going to have the wheels done in. I bought a spare set off Fatz when he was going to race (homo/chicken) and they had some gravel rash on them so on Sunday we bolted them up to the rear of handles GTR (less tyres) and ran the car whilst I filed and sandpapered almost all of the marks out. They turned out great.

Fatz keep me posted on the next date of that tarmac rally shit you are doing and if the dates are good,,,I'll come play with ya.

Sweetfu,,,yes they are the Sparco sprint seats,,,steel framed ones,,,they cost like $950.00 a pair back in 2011. Over time the bum section has become slightly uncomfortable,,,. I love steel framed seats but I think next time fibreglass seats will be the go.

Cheers

Neil.

I was always of the opinion that front strut braces did nothing and were just rice factor and I thought all those really cool alloy ones were just a really cool wank.

Well seems I'm wrong. I've had a Whiteline one the car for donkeys years and as a street car I could never feel any difference. Now all that has changed,,,check out the pics. The left side has an 8mm drill stuffed in there and the right side has a 5mm drill also stuffed in there. They were nice and flat before and now have big kinks in the mounting plates

post-29-0-49028600-1425976928_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-76267900-1425976960_thumb.jpg

So the upshot of this is it's time to look for a very stiff replacement.

Cheers

Neil.