SAU Community

World Time Attack Challenge 2012

handbrake

What about...

3. Killing the sport because people need to spend so much to get there now and bar has been raised that much higher?

It'll be interesting either way to see how many teams fly out again next year :)

Hang on, wasnt there some eyebrow raising last year because the japs bought an ex gt500 chassis to the event.

?

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang on, wasnt there some eyebrow raising last year because the japs bought an ex gt500 chassis to the event.

?

That sounds like the revolution rx7 that was there with basically a full tube frame in '11.

Edited by «Cyph3r»

That sounds like the revolution rx7 that was there with basically a full tube frame in '11.

Right, so now the Aussi's take the oneupmanship from them they're gonna take their marbles and go home

I would hope it doesn't do anything to kill the sport, just spawn a new class within the field

It would be good to make the clubsprint class higher profile with clearer/stricter rules

i dont think anyone should underestimate the dollars spent by competitors, even in clubsprint class

open class is the new pro class lol

Would also be interesting to see some of the pro class australian cars heading over to buttonwillow and tsukuba to share some of the expense around and give rival teams a chance on their home ground.

Kind of like Newman and Berry did quite some time ago heading to tsukuba at least.

As Nev has said, if anyone thinks that bolting a set of flares made 1.3 seconds difference, I will pay good money for those flares!! I am also willing to bet the people who were protesting had diffusers etc which were questionable...

As Nev has said, if anyone thinks that bolting a set of flares made 1.3 seconds difference, I will pay good money for those flares!! I am also willing to bet the people who were protesting had diffusers etc which were questionable...

If it meant going from a set of 235,s to a set of 285's I could see it making a difference for sure.

What about...

3. Killing the sport because people need to spend so much to get there now and bar has been raised that much higher?

It'll be interesting either way to see how many teams fly out again next year :)

Aaaah! Now we're touching on the...

Definition of Sport:-

* Smart enough to make the rules work for you, plus...

* Dumb enough to think the game is important !!!

Hehe...

Oh well; having been a catamaran skipper, yeah well I've been a sucker to "get an edge" somehow - like anti-friction paint - lol

It was not just the flares, for the pople who have not seen this car here is an image of it with the diffuser out the back... has more aero than some open cars

post-36356-0-55723700-1344832591_thumb.jpg

For the record, I don't agree with clubsprint cars running front splitters, canards, diffusers and wheel arch flares etc.

However, WTAC/Superlap did and has always stated that entry/submission to the event is at the discretion of the organisers.

Covering them for any car they want to compete but doesn't really fit the rules. Whilst this rule or disclaimer remains, you will always get cars that don't comply entering and competing.

As a spectator, I and alot of others want to see wild stupid fast cars. But hey for Clubsprint the rules should be tightly enforced.

WTAC is a great spectacle, and it reminds me of a quote from Chopper, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!"

Edited by nismoman

More info about Nemo: http://www.carsguide...ws/lancer_evo_7

A guy named Andrew Brilliant (apt name isn't it?) designed the aero package. Here is an interview with him: http://www.hioctaner...dynamicist.html

He seems to have his own website: http://www.amb-aero.com/

The guy is clearly not a chump and has designed aero for some big ticket categories.

I was at the event on the Friday and I loved every second of it... until Nemo ran in the 1:25s, which happened in the first session. Suddenly every other car was at least two seconds off the pace. That ruined the pro class for the remainder of the day.

Open and Clubsprint classes were fantastic to watch. The C6 Z06 'Vette looked and sounded great, the two supras were unbelievably loud, and the Exige looked insanely planted around the corners. There was also a very tough sounding C63 coupe that blipped the throttle deliciously every time leading into turn 1. All in all, a very enjoyable day.

Edited by ras1983

I found it a little funny with Chris Eaton's car, he initially thought people who built a car and had a pro driver involved were crazy not to do all the driving themselves (eg how I shared driving with tarzan last year). looks like he changed his mind when the pressure was on as it looks like luffy did most of the driving, which I completely understand. Regardless of what people say, these cars dont drive themselves. it would have taken considerable skill to get that thing around the track in a 1:25. as someone said earlier, that thing looks to handle like an open wheeler with a shell

Someone else might be able to clarify but in the session the owner drove (Luffy was up on the pit roof watching) the car was doing 35's. Then again I was getting times via the commentators so I could be way off.

More info about Nemo: http://www.carsguide...ws/lancer_evo_7

A guy named Andrew Brilliant (apt name isn't it?) designed the aero package. Here is an interview with him: http://www.hioctaner...dynamicist.html

He seems to have his own website: http://www.amb-aero.com/

The guy is clearly not a chump and has designed aero for some big ticket categories.

Andrew was also involved with the High Octane R34, Big Red R32 and I dare say probably other cares as well :thumbsup:

Very interesting to hear him talking about things, it's stuff that will keep ones brain gears turning for weeks.

NATSOFT shows eaton in the the mid 30's but that relies on the right transponder being in the car at the right time.

He may well have recorded faster times but eith luffy's transponder in the car

It would be good to make the clubsprint class higher profile with clearer/stricter rules

Couldnt agree more. To me clubsprint should fundamentally resemble the street car with a cage. (Optional) Original body work, no splitters, no ridiculous wangs, no added aero or widebodies. Somthing like targa showroom or even a targa modern or early modern car. Maybe call it Targa class. :) From a spectators point of view there seemed to be some pretty broad interpretations of the rules, or at least cars of the same breed (say an evo) at very different ends of the development spectrum. As others have said, some of the clubsprint cars looked much the same as an open car, just with street tyres on.

Man o man

Have we opened a can of worms,I didn't see any shep stations being past on.

Anyone in any sport always wants to win and to do this depending on the sport,you need to spend MONEY.

Motor sport isn;t cheap and if you don't want to better your own times and beat others compeditors times WHAT ARE WE RACING FOR??because the prize money doesn't cover anywhere near the exspences.