SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

That's terrific on a 2.8, I do not get that on E85 , I top out at 461 AWKW /618awhp on a 3.2 with Vcam, but more torque x 2 ish, well done :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

My 8374 is bolted on, so should have some results in a couple of weeks, waiting for the Crank Trigger.

33 minutes ago, Piggaz said:

Nug ?

That's a bit harsh old mate , but I have turned the wheels on mine, lol

Yours reminds me of a Merry Go Round where the horses go up and down , but the Pigmoblie is on a hoist :)

Stay home tomorrow , there are no Oysters left in Wallis Lakes, sorry :( 

My build been going for 14 months now, and I'm only at this stage. 

Mom pretty sure all decent builds just take time fella's. 

everything is a pain in the ass, nothing fits, nothing is in stock, everything has to be fabricated or changed in some way. 

?

but thats at all part of the fun

IMG_3182.JPG

• Like 1

New updates coming. Fyi once i got boost to 20-21 psi it would spike to 22-23 and drop to 17-18. Couldn't solve it in the controller. Turbosmart dual port and 4 port solenoid installed last night. Will retune today. 20170224_225209.jpg

• Like 1

Boost solenoid and wastegate were factory EFR. To bring the turbo in hard I had to put 8 or so turns of preload...any less and it would hurt spool time. I set this by pulling wastegate nipple and seeing where it would crack in 3rd gear. Initially I gained 700 rpms of threshold by tightening the arm. At low preload the HIGH boost wastegate actuator will blow open on my setup before target (high backpressure I'm assuming). It was not creeping but instead would linearly fall off of boost from there and I used haltech boost control to feed in duty almost linearly to keep boost up. Once this was set I started having the spike on shift where nothing would keep up (mechanically) unless I lowered preload. There was a sweet spot to run 19 or so psi pretty stable with 21 psi spikes, but to run 20 pushed me into 22-23 psi spikes (even with 0 duty cycle at those rpms as well as TPS compensated tables).

So...Goeff recommended the turbosmart actuator and 4 port. Said you can multiply base boost by around 3-4x with 4 port but he said be careful with duty cycles.

BOV cover is treadstone (cheap). Nothing other than replaces the plastic cover which can break with something pretty. It seems fine for a "dumb" piece of aluminium.

You want to use a 12 watt solenoid version of the MAC 46a 4 port.

It has a slightly longer piston travel than a 3 port so the effective duty cycle with the standard 5.4watt coil is quite low. 20 to 60% at 30hz from memory.

The boost change that comes with a 1% change in duty can be very large so you want the maximum effective range possible with the 4 port.

The 12watt version running at 20hz has an operating range of about 10-80% duty. So a much better control resolution.

See this page 

http://circuitse7en.net/page26.php

And buy from here. They are a special order from MAC as there is no order code for a 12w coil on a 46a in the Mac catalogue http://www.ebay.com/itm/231871863736

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2017 at 7:32 PM, burn4005 said:
You want to use a 12 watt solenoid version of the MAC 46a 4 port.
It has a slightly longer piston travel than a 3 port so the effective duty cycle with the standard 5.4watt coil is quite low. 20 to 60% at 30hz from memory.
The boost change that comes with a 1% change in duty can be very large so you want the maximum effective range possible with the 4 port.
The 12watt version running at 20hz has an operating range of about 10-80% duty. So a much better control resolution.
See this page 
http://circuitse7en.net/page26.php
And buy from here. They are a special order from MAC as there is no order code for a 12w coil on a 46a in the Mac catalogue http://www.ebay.com/itm/231871863736

I bought the full race one. Initial thoughts are that i did not think to reset my frequency! I think I'm on 28Hz and had big trouble getting boost stabilized. Thank you for saying that I'll work on it more before u report back. But good news is it will run as low as 13-14 psi and spools harder to 22 psi than ever before. 22.5 psi boost hit at 3600 rpms this time with 100% duty. Still pissed the haltech controller always runs 100% until 7.3 psi before target boost level. I still have an initial boost control spike issue. But yes way lower duty cycles to hit same boost so far.

(EDIT - ATTACHED LOG FILE SCREENSHOTS! LOOK AT THAT BOOST THRESHOLD IN THIRD!!!).

4port 100% annotated.jpg

4port 0% annotated.jpg

boost threeshold tests with 100% duty.JPG

my setup is using a 50mm turbosmart progate, I'm only using a 7psi spring which should be more than adequate as the diaphragm to valve ratio is very high.

I looked at using the progate lite version but in my opinion the effective area of the actuator is far too small for the 50mm valve if a moderate amount of backpressure is present.

the full size progate50 will hold a backpressure exceeding 200% of the boost pressure, plus of course the spring pressure.

the progate 50 lite will only hold 128% of the boost pressure, plus the spring pressure.

Edited by burn4005

I'm using the turbosmart twin port actuator (14psi springs 3 turns preload) with 5.4w 4 port Mac valve @20Hz  max d.c 60% for 1.6 bar boost @3800rpm. High and Low 3d boost maps on Link G4+

Had the EFR high boost canister but it is hopeless for good control and used to severely over-boost after 20 mins driving when WOT. It was about 20mm away from #1 runner so I extended the turbosmart actuator 50mm forward. Boost control is damn near perfect.

P2270589a.thumb.JPG.b2c50e98d59e2a9cd9195a97657c3f6f.JPG

Edited by Meathead
left something out
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Meathead said:
I'm using the turbosmart twin port actuator (14psi springs 3 turns preload) with 5.4w 4 port Mac valve @20Hz  max d.c 60% for 1.6 bar boost @3800rpm. High and Low 3d boost maps on Link G4+
Had the EFR high boost canister but it is hopeless for good control and used to severely over-boost after 20 mins driving when WOT. It was about 20mm away from #1 runner so I extended the turbosmart actuator 50mm forward. Boost control is damn near perfect.
P2270589a.thumb.JPG.b2c50e98d59e2a9cd9195a97657c3f6f.JPG

I like the extension. I think that will help me as well as my #1 runner is approximately 1.5" away. Good idea there.

I prematurely went to the track and it was a disaster. Had no time to pretune the wastegate settings and it got ugly when my laptop died (brought wrong charger). It was either run low boost OK or spike and drop.

Look at the two attached log screenshots.
"Run2" is an 11.28 at 125 mph where the target boost is 20. P=30 I=3 D=1. The boost spikes, controller pushes boost way low to compensate...then gradually picks it back up to target. No ignition advance issues there but look at the amount of time in 3rd gear (4th is almost exactly the same) off of target boost! 2.5 second each gear which is KILLING my power. This car picks up about 60-75 whp from 17 psi to 20...you could totally feel it.

"Run3" was different target setting of 21 psi...but also different P setting of P=50. All other parts the same (including base duty cycle). Spikes to 22...cuts timing drops boost, comes back in and repeats. 11.5 at 120.7mph. But what did I expect there with boost AND timing being pulled? So then shortly after my laptop died and no more logs and no real resultant changes. When i get this car to hold solid 20 psi I believe it's going to go 10s and 130mph on 93 pumpgas (your RON98 I believe) and 255 street tires. I'm so close...stupid boost control issues holding me back!

Best mph of day was on a [email protected] again boost spike plagued...no logs available as the laptop died, but I saw the knock light. Once I get this sorted I think the car has a 10 sec pass at 130 mph in it on pump with no meth. Can't wait to see what meth and /or E85 has for it.

run3 annotated.jpg

run2 11.27at125 time off boost 3rd.JPG