SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

1 minute ago, Griffin said:

I've mailed them previously and gotten no response. Not knocking them but I'm hesitant to give anyone money that can't respond to email.

Hi Mate,

Geoff was very quick to respond when i was enquiring.

He said to contact this guy for pricing -

Jon Guerra in our front office <[email protected]>

Keep the results coming please , I'm sure lots of people are all over this thread .

Mr Lithium , I'm very interested to know where that RB25/7064 T3 hits 300Kw rev and boost wise . Obviously its going to shame a GT3076R in that it starts much earlier and should have turbo response much closer to throttle response . 

Thanks all , cheers A .

Of course, I'll update as soon as I have any info to share.  For what it's worth, with a flat boost curve it was building power until 7000rpm - the actual flow of the setup at boost levels we've tried so far has been good.  

I guess something which paints a picture of that, if you haven't thought about it already - notice the boost is dropping steadily from quite early yet power peaks and holds until redline?   The power vs pressure ratio curve to pull that off is very solid, if nothing starts choking at the ~19psi we were hoping to get away with then the curve will look like a 45degree line or something haha

• Like 1

Just on that, I see SPARESBOX have them and most of the efr range on eBay now listed as being in stock and for delivery in a few days . I called to ask WTF as I'm told to wait til September. They said they all come from their warehouse in USA and will take 7 business days. 
I believe this is very misleading so be careful purchasing on eBay through Sparesbox. I'm not sure what if they are waiting for the us dollar to change or what. 
The 2 options I see are paying a premium from someone like gcg who may have something on the shelf or buy from the states  and hope nothing goes wrong.
Someone from this forum needs to bring a container load here. [emoji3]

I rang sparesbox 5 minutes ago to see what the deal is. They said my 6758 is due for delivery next Tuesday. I mentioned that I had heard someone orders a 9174 and got told his delivery date was pushed back until September (that being yourself). The person from sparesbox said that the larger turbos 8374 and above were extremely limited stock and that they were having an extremely hard time getting them from Borgwarner.

They also said that the smaller EFR range is more accessible to them and as such my delivery date hasn't changed in 3 weeks and they expect it to be here next Tuesday. They rang Borgwarner while I was on the phone to them to confirm. They have still been very straight up and helpful to me so far.

I can understand your frustration with them,but hopefully mine gets delivered as per the ETA.

It is a bit of a kick in the dick to be told no stock until September then see it listed on ebay saying in stock [emoji35]

The people at Sparesbox are all very nice to speak with, I'm just not sure they know what they are doing. I was told today the 9174 steel centre has to come from Borg Warner. They can get an aluminum one from the warehouse in the states . They've agreed to send me an aluminum one at the same price. Fingers crossed it happens. 

Good luck with your smaller one.

we have steel 9174s incoming.  im fairly certain there are none anywhere else as we have many other distributors calling and asking for these

edit:  Griffin, im 99% certain there are zero alu 9174 here in the US.  For your sake I hope you can prove me wrong

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

On 2017-1-31 at 5:32 PM, burn4005 said:

have an 8374 but its close to max speed. not very keen for the turbine wheel to remove itself from the shaft. Its a simple (and relatively cheap) supercore swap. all external dimensions remain identical. a few 9174 results in FG falcons seem to handle 800 hub horsepower at ~5600rpm on a 4 litre at 26psi, so i think it should be ok on a 2.7 @ 8500rpm.

matchbot reckons I'll have to delay boost onset for about 300rpm later than the 8374 was happy at to keep it out of surge but it's worth it for the extra legs of the compressor. the 8374 was over in the 65% efficiency area where the 9174 will be around 74% for the same flow. this alleviates back pressure by some margin, without having to go to a larger A/R turbine so VE should be improved also. from my calculations we can run 45kPa more boost to achieve the same pressure delta accross the engine at the very top end.

If you do this I'd be really interested to know how these numbers and the overall comparison plays out in the real world - would you be sharing results?

30 minutes ago, blah_blah said:

Does anyone know if an EFR 7670 would fit stock/low mounted on an RB25?

I think there was a picture a few pages back of a 7163 on stock location was already a tight fit?

The car I've been working on runs an EFR7064 which is the same frame as a 7670 and it fits fine, definitely better than GT3076Rs etc.

• Like 3

So the owner of the 25T with the EFR7064 just installed a Turbosmart dual-port actuator and we dialled all the duty out of the boost control and went for a quick hoon - this is with basically no effort made to do anything other than make boost try and hit 18+psi and hold it, this is the only log I saved but proves the concept.  It took minimal effort to make it hold 18+psi to redline, which is ideal.

EFR7064-turbosmart.png.a1c6261f3e0cab2b1be2871eee7b3fe3.png

• Like 4