SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

9174 alloy supercore finally arrived today. I'm surprised how light it is. The housing I was looking at adapting won't fit so I'm looking for a t4 1.05 TS housing if anyone has one for sale.

Anybody have any feedback on the alloy core vs iron core?

Re: that twin gate setup

Not worried about melting the lid/diaphragm of the gate that is almost in direct contact with the dump pipe, on the track?
I got lots of 'worried looks' about where my gate sat and it was nowhere even close to the dump as that one is?

3 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

Re: that twin gate setup

Not worried about melting the lid/diaphragm of the gate that is almost in direct contact with the dump pipe, on the track?
I got lots of 'worried looks' about where my gate sat and it was nowhere even close to the dump as that one is?

There is actually an air gap between the 2 of them, the image is a little deceiving... Everything will be heat coated so i guess its a matter of try and see how it goes!

The back gate is sitting just under the old ABS unit area that is being removed this week, its pretty tight one all the pipes start going together!

Putting it into my 34 with a 7670 and only the one gate it was pretty tight and lines and heat shielding went bonkers to hopefully not melt it all. I recall thinking "I'm glad I don't have a 2nd gate here" I actually thought for my application I should have gone IWG and would recommend IWG to anyone else due to it..

Then again, twin gate seems to be working OK for all the GTR guys, and in your application you don't need pesky things like AC or other daily concerns taking up space. If your wastegate lasts then I can be happy mine will too. Wrap all the things! :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Well ill make sure we keep an eye on it and ill provide feedback! In that side of the engine bay there is now nothing but what you see in that pic above... Everything has either been relocated or deleted coz race car :)

The bonnet pulls a lot of heat from the engine bay on track too... It'll be a lot less in the way of heat issues now than it was with the old turbo setup!

pft, that's nothing compared to what the 6boob twin gate manifolds put them :P

Anyway, due to a series of events car is now at different workshop, with the turbosmart WG with a 7psi spring and no boost controller, so creeping to 9psi, made 370hp at rears. Apparently on the ramp up on the dyno at least, it already has a couple of psi by 2000rpm. Tuner seemed pretty surprised with it in general.

Downside.... lot of valve train noise. Valve clearences are all over the shop (12thou-22thou IIRC). Brand new head... very dissapointed. So waiting on that, and my next 2 weeks away at work, to actually get the car back.

56 minutes ago, sneakey pete said:

pft, that's nothing compared to what the 6boob twin gate manifolds put them :P

How many cases of failing wastegates have you heard of due to the placement of the twin wastegates on 6 boost manifolds?

10 hours ago, Griffin said:

9174 alloy supercore finally arrived today. I'm surprised how light it is. The housing I was looking at adapting won't fit so I'm looking for a t4 1.05 TS housing if anyone has one for sale.

Anybody have any feedback on the alloy core vs iron core?

we have the 1.05 a/r TS housings in stock.  also 1.45 in stock if you have a built motor.

the alloy core requires mandatory watercooling AND mandatory 360-degree clamp plate kit.  Without the upgraded clamp plates, the alloy core will get damaged at the turbine housing connection.  we have these in stock if you need them, it appears very few of the other distributors are aware of those

6 hours ago, Piggaz said:

How many cases of failing wastegates have you heard of due to the placement of the twin wastegates

When we began experimenting with twinscroll setups (2002-2003) cramming dual wastegates in places where there was only room for one gate was typical for early test units.  this did work for a brief amount of time (enough to get test data).  However the diaphragm location at or near the turbine housing/downpipe will result in diaphragm failure before too long.  even if you have a water circuit and high end fluorocarbon diaphragm

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

6 hours ago, Piggaz said:

How many cases of failing wastegates have you heard of due to the placement of the twin wastegates on 6 boost manifolds?

no idea, but i wasn't saying if it would or wouldn't be a problem..just that its next to the merge.

2 hours ago, Full-Race Geoff said:

we have the 1.05 a/r TS housings in stock.  also 1.45 in stock if you have a built motor.

the alloy core requires mandatory watercooling AND mandatory 360-degree clamp plate kit.  Without the upgraded clamp plates, the alloy core will get damaged at the turbine housing connection.  we have these in stock if you need them, it appears very few of the other distributors are aware of those.

are you able to send me a price on 1.05 housing and clamps to suit alloy core thanks

On 2017-6-27 at 10:14 PM, sneakey pete said:

no idea, but i wasn't saying if it would or wouldn't be a problem..just that its next to the merge.

I saw your car down at the tuners when I picked up my mates 33 today! Looks awesome man, keen to see what it does on a proper tune :D

7 hours ago, R377 said:

@

34GeeTeeTee

You had a good run with your HTA turbo, what made you decide to go for a BW over say the next HTA up like a 3582 ?

It actually wasnt the turbo that i wanted to upgrade, it was everything supporting it such as manifold, gate and dump... So i figured if i was going to that expense i might as well look at alternatives. I spoke to a lot of people and this "EFR" topic came up a fair bit... So i looked into it and it seemed to fit the bill... Ill find out mid next week if i made the right choice :ninja:

Turbo, manifold and gates had final fitment today. Dump pipe has been test fit and we are already to complete the assembly tomorrow. 

Once we fab the rear section of the exhaust and the intake pipe etc we will be ready to fire it up. Should be running tomorrow arvo and on the dyno soon after.

We took the time to delete the ABS and re-route some wiring and coolant lines etc away from the heat, doing as much as we can to get some reliability.

Here is the ceramic coating on the gates - 

5956216b00030_Gatescoated2.thumb.jpg.d9ab347b56650e889199e209a10efd6e.jpg

• Like 2