SAU Community

What does everyone think of the new Z?

Shoota_77

If you weren't already aware today was the global launch of the forthcoming 370Z replacement (400Z??).  I REALLY like it but I haven't quite come to terms with the front grill/air dam section of the car yet.  I can't quite put my finger on it but it's either too big or too square or a combination of the two.  I'm sure it will grow on me in time.  Other than that the side profile is amazing.  Such beautiful flowing lines.  Amazingly it'll come standard with a 6 speed manual which is a surprise.  I honestly reckon more people will love the idea of that than the reality of it and most sold will be autos.  Time will tell on that!  This is a sacrilegeous statement but I honestly don't know if I'd get manual or auto.  Depends what I decided I was buying the car for.  If it was for track days then definitely manual.  If just for a Sunday cruiser I'd definitely consider the auto if it was a good one.

All in all I think they're absolutely on to a winner, it's a stunning looking car and hopefully with matching performance from the twin turbo V6.  I can't see anything official about engine yet.  I think they'll keep that for a later announcement to keep some info up their sleeves.

What does everyone else think?

Nissan Z Proto front three-quarter view

Nissan Z Proto - rear three-quarter view

Nissan Z Proto profile view, facing right

Nissan Z Proto dashboard

Nissan Z Proto driver's seat

Nissan Z Proto - front wheels and nose

• Like 2

I absolutely love it.

I love that it is clearly a Z. The profile is so good and that roof line is amazing. The rear 3/4 view is so unmistakably 240Z.

I was desperately hoping that it'd be a 2+2 but it doesn't look like it. 

Power likely to be around 400HP which will make it fun. If this is done right, I can see it obtaining more MX5-esque "drivers car" status and ultimately be a real contender in the small sports category.

More info on Car Advice.

But yes, big thumbs up from me.

• Like 2

I really liked it. There is a lot of carry over from the 370 interior wise but interior is more on par with other new cars with the digital dash and entertainment system. 

Going back to a turbo engine is great and will be good for those chasing power. 

I've enjoyed my 370z being auto for daily duties and the odd fun run but I would definitely get this new Z in manual. Hoping the price will be competitive compared to the supra/z4. 

Agree about the front air dam. Too big and too square, but I still think it looks pretty good.

absolutley love the side profile but I just hate the look of the rear. I understand they were going for a 300zx type look but I just don’t think it works with the rest of the car

i think the rear will look baller in the right colour. A v. dark red or black would be ace. Black would also camouflage the size of the front grille for those that are unhappy with it. I personally think that big square and simple (like it is) is much better than most other manufacturer's efforts lately (I'm looking at you, Lexus).

It looks like the guys who were responsible for the aborted Silvia reboot were allowed to take out some of their frustrations on it. Very Z, plus very taut/tight stretches on it.

Concept Cars - Nissan News and Trends | Motor1.com

If they get the pricing right they have a chance to do what the Mustang did when it relaunched into the market.

I'd love to think @mlr that you're right at that price point but I'm scared it might be a fair but more....

These will be at least 10k more than the 370 (when they were new out, not now that the price has fallen), because twin turbo.

There is some danger that they will try to gouge by creeping up under the Supra's price point (ie, make it >$80k) to make it look like good value by comparison, even if they could reasonably sell them in the 70s.

Arguably, they could make more money if they look like a bargain, simply by selling (and servicing) more of them. But.....weird decisions get made.

The Yaris GR is debuting at $40k and will be $50k minimum (for the base model - the hot model will be >$10k more than that!). The Yaris might even be a faster car than the 400Z, but the 400 is still going to want to position itself upmarket from a scungy little hatchback. So, easily >$10k more. That makes it at least 70, possibly 75.

Edited by GTSBoy

Front end could use some work, the grilles of previous renders looked better in my opinion. Looks fantastic from the inside and side view. The rear I have mixed feelings about, the lights themselves are neat but the black bar they are on looks a bit out of place. I might be nit-picking, but the rear badge also appears very large but it might be my imagination. Maybe it'll grow on me. 

I think it looks good and Hiroshi Tamura so far has not been the type to say misleading things like Tetsuya Tada to try and sell cars. So when he says the car will be more focused on feel and balance I'm more inclined to believe him.

As for the actual design I do think it could use some cleaning up. The grille really does seem unfinished, I have a feeling they will do some refinements before launch. This looks fairly production-ready though, the car still looks like an FM platform car and will probably weigh like 1500 kg.