SAU Community

Garrett G Series

Ok, I did the proper thing and listened to him and those numbers still don't make any sense.

They took a car whose starting point is ~245 tq 230 HP and with an OTS tune is ~280 tq 240 HP on a dynapak. Added a front mount and a g25-660, lost *boost threshold* and torque while adding 40 HP.

My understanding is if the turbine a/r is too small you would get sooner boost response with it choking at the top end.

With thought I still don't understand what happening here. The numbers don't make sense to me especially combined with their comments.

BIG edit guys, sorry I should have put more thought into the original post.

Edited by Silverhks

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Butters said:

Argggg  I could flip the table  !!  They changed the intercooler at the same time as the rear housing. So mudding the results. 

Ffs watching it now - pretty sure this runs pump gas? Skyrocketing intake temps suggests that intercooler setup was way out of it's depth, so changing that alone would have justified a separate test... Drives you nuts when this kind of thing is done by someone trying to share data and doing it as an authority.  If it makes significantly more and they conclude that it was because of the housing then a table flip is justified.

Yep, pump gas and big intake temps on last run.

Overall seems like a disappointing result for 25psi  but so used to seeing E85 figures these days you forget how much u98 robs you. 

On 18/08/2019 at 5:28 PM, Lithium said:

And that's just for the box! :P

• Haha 1

On 18/08/2019 at 5:28 PM, Lithium said:

Hmm, not on the GCG website and Ebay is showing they are out of stock. I wonder when they'll actually be available. 

Price seems to be about the same as an 8374

7 hours ago, Komdotkom said:

Hmm, not on the GCG website and Ebay is showing they are out of stock. I wonder when they'll actually be available. 

Price seems to be about the same as an 8374

On the eBay links shared by Lith it mentions 'Delivery: Estimated by 20 September' so guessing they will become available around that time, or a day or 2 earlier perhaps.

Maybe?

On 21/08/2019 at 4:43 PM, Moelders said:

On the eBay links shared by Lith it mentions 'Delivery: Estimated by 20 September' so guessing they will become available around that time, or a day or 2 earlier perhaps.

Maybe?

Looks like the G30s are coming, now....

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/turbo/g-series-g30-770/

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 2

Just now, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

better, it won't shit out turbine wheels when you overspeed it by 1 rpm.

Even though the more data etc I've seen it turns out there is a heap of misinfo on this (I'd been sucked in, too), it seems very much this isn't like that at all.  The overspeed data is all to do with the compressor, nothing to do with the turbine - if people have spat turbines then they have REALLY overdone it, probably due to some other issue.  Some cases I've seen have even turned out to be to do with oil starvation f**king the core and everything else being punished for it.

I love the idea of the new G-series range but the fact that there are hopes that they will compete with the OG EFR range, and now there is a new series of EFRs which have really stepped it up there are some G-series which could possibly prove to be too little - too late.    Look forward to seeing how they perform though as there are some really interesting units in the range, if they aren't a lot laggier than their wheel sizes would have you expect then they could mix things up a fair bit.

There seems to be limited information so far but it looks like the exhaust inlet/outlet location between g25 and g30 look to be identical, making at least the rear section of the turbo able to be swapped without modification to the exhaust. This should put the core in the same location too.

Very interested to see how the G30 based turbos compare to the GT30 based turbos in terms of response. Im expecting response somewhere between GT30 and GT35 in comparable housing sizes...time will tell