SAU Community

Garrett G Series

@omnigear Both turbos are similar, both are manufactured by Garrett.  The HKS 2530 is the old school garrett gt28r.  Fits stock location, spools ok, makes ok power.  

The GTX2860R is a modern version of this turbo with updated bearings, GTX compressor aero and much more power capability.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Geoff, similar question as I run the original HKS GT-SS turbos on the 33R, which I was the -9 equivalent when Garrett started supplying them. Is there a 2859R that supercedes the original design ? Don't want -7 or -5, just a better -9 if there is one, and would it be worth it as I'm quite happy with the existing. The same with a little more top would be nice.

And before someone else posts not interested in the new Tomei 550 overpriced crap or HKS GTIII-SS Mitsubishi plain bearing snot.

I have 2 G series cars that I will be plumbing up soon. A GTR with an RB26/30 G35 1050 & an Evo with 2.2L 4G63 with a G35 900 looking forward to seeing how they perform ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mick_o said:

I have 2 G series cars that I will be plumbing up soon. A GTR with an RB26/30 G35 1050 & an Evo with 2.2L 4G63 with a G35 900 looking forward to seeing how they perform ?

Looking forward to seeing results on the 4G63 with the G35-900. I think it should produce at least 650 whp on pump gas.

19 hours ago, discopotato03 said:

Garrett GT2859R is Garrett Pn 707160-9  =  -9  =  GT-SS . All one and the same thing .

RB26 twin specific turbocharger .  

Yes I know that Garrett -9 = HKS GT-SS. Was wondering if it has been revised / improved by Garrett as old -9 part is 707160-5009S and new part is 836026-5002S. Wasn't there a chra change with different bearings or something along those lines when the G series was released ? Anyway this is a G series thread not GT of GTX so I'm probably a bit of topic asking that here.

Sorry folks , yes OT but I'll be brief .

I think that there has been a change in turbine shaft diameter to 8mm in all if not most of the Garrett GT BB range .

Obviously this means a change in the ball bearing assembly itself to take a larger diameter shaft .

I suspect they may have standardised on a bearing assembly same or similar to the G series one , this would make economic sense . Not 100% sure but I think this change goes back at least to 2016 possibly in the GTX Gen 2/ GTX3584RS era . 

I'd say this is the reason for the part number change and you'd think these newer turbo cartridges (centre housing rotating assemblies) would be interchangeable with the earlier ones .

Again sorry this post OT but something I wasn't aware of .

Cheers DP03 .

On 5/2/2020 at 2:10 AM, BK said:

Is there a 2859R that supercedes the original design ? Don't want -7 or -5, just a better -9 if there is one

there are a couple modern variations available in the RB26 bolt on turbo category.  My preferred / recommended solution is Gen2 GTX in 2860 and 2867. 

For the power hungry, you can also step up to 2971 and 2976 but that is pushing the limit of what these oem form-factor housings can support

4 minutes ago, Full-Race Geoff said:

there are a couple modern variations available in the RB26 bolt on turbo category.  My preferred / recommended solution is Gen2 GTX in 2860 and 2867. 

For the power hungry, you can also step up to 2971 and 2976 but that is pushing the limit of what these oem form-factor housings can support

Can the hks 2350 frame be used to fit the 2860 chra?

HKS2530 turbine wheel is a Garrett GT28 (53.8mm). 

HKS2530 compressor wheel is an old Garrett GT2860 (60mm, not discopotato)

So if you're asking can the HKS turbine accept a Gen2 2860 GTX supercore, then I would surmise yes.  Ive not done this myself however the bearing register and turbine wheel are consistent

What HKS called back in the day (think 1990 odd) a GT2530 is what Garrett had renamed a GT2860R series turbocharger .

The GT25 part of the number meant "GT25 series" ball bearing centre section and 30 meant the ~ 60mm OD compressor wheel from memory in 63 trim .

In Garrett speak the GT28 is for the turbine used , and the 60 means ~ 60mm OD compressor wheel .

Again , back in the day HKS had Garrett develop and manufacture specific application turbochargers and patented them . In other words you could only buy them from HKS , Garrett couldn't sell them to the public for a number of years . Often HKS also had their own turbine and compressor housings made . This is why you could for example buy a HKS GT ProS 2835 or 3037 and get them with T3 flanged integral wastegate turbine housings . The market had to wait for Garrett to make T3 flanged GT30 and GT35 wastegated turbine housings so you could easily mount these turbos to T3 exhaust manifolds on ie L28ET FJ20ET RB20 and 25 DET . For the record Garrett develop that style of turbine house as an OE app for the Ford XR6T's GT3582R . 

Actually we are in exactly the same situation today with G Series turbos , IMO these turbos are unusable for most because of the lack of T3/T4 flanged turbine housings and in some cases integral wastegates . If you could buy G30's/G35's with T3 and T4 IW turbine housings you could throw all the GT/GTX30s and 35's in a big dumpster bin .

And thanks Geoff , yep I narrowed the era down to around 2015/16 for the 8mm cartridge change . Older Garrett catalogues didn't mention the new part numbers . I couldn't get their version 5 which I think was the one just before the GTX2 range was released .

• Like 1

I make just shy of 400rwkws with high flowed -7's (larger billet wheels etc.) It'll never be the same as a nice single turbo making the same power but on E85 and keeping the low mount twins I am happy with the response and power output...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_rbman said:

I make just shy of 400rwkws with high flowed -7's (larger billet wheels etc.) It'll never be the same as a nice single turbo making the same power but on E85 and keeping the low mount twins I am happy with the response and power output...

Hit me up if you need twin Turbosmart gates when you go onto a modern single :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Has anyone mated a G30-770 to an SR20 and has put it to test yet? A G30-900?

Doing research for my own road race / time attack RWD SR20VET project. My road race class limits me to about 500rwhp, but time attack class it's unlimited. I'm trying to find a turbocharger that gives me the ability to limit power but carry it through a wide powerband as well as letting it loose for time attack as much as it will give. Another turbo I was looking into was the EFR8474, but I was hoping to get some real world data/experience as all I have at the moment is paper and limited internet data.

I have both N1 cams and Kelford 184-ST cams at my disposal. Head has full port and chamber work, larger valves, and hypertune manifold w/ Bosch DBW. Bottom end is not built yet, but I am heading toward a long rod 2.0L currently (considering 10:1 compression), but things may change in the future. Currently on AEM Infinity and tuning for E85.

Edited by 2_Liter_Turbo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2020 at 1:18 AM, 2_Liter_Turbo said:

Has anyone mated a G30-770 to an SR20 and has put it to test yet? A G30-900?

Doing research for my own road race / time attack RWD SR20VET project. My road race class limits me to about 500rwhp, but time attack class it's unlimited. I'm trying to find a turbocharger that gives me the ability to limit power but carry it through a wide powerband as well as letting it loose for time attack as much as it will give. Another turbo I was looking into was the EFR8474, but I was hoping to get some real world data/experience as all I have at the moment is paper and limited internet data.

I have both N1 cams and Kelford 184-ST cams at my disposal. Head has full port and chamber work, larger valves, and hypertune manifold w/ Bosch DBW. Bottom end is not built yet, but I am heading toward a long rod 2.0L currently (considering 10:1 compression), but things may change in the future. Currently on AEM Infinity and tuning for E85.

Look at my results in my build thread, with an EFR7670 on a 2.0L stock bottom end & big spec big valve ported head.

Making 445rwhp on a torque limited tune, would be around 550whp if I had a built bottom end. Obviously, this on a low reading Aus Dyno.

I think an 8474 is WAY too big for your application

• Like 1

Finalise the bottom end before you choose a turbo, compression in particular. 

The 7670 would likely be a better choice of the EFRs, but this is a Garrett thread and G series on VET results are not plentiful yet - I'm watching and waiting as your engine and mine sound similar, though I'm opting for a built bottom straight up. 

So far the G series results on any other 4cyl look to be "good", an incremental improvement across the board vs the older tech. 

GTX2 is still a great choice also. I shy away from EFR in track conditions due to questions around wheel speed/heat capabilities. It seems EFR are absolutely the king of the street though, response/power etc. 

• Like 1