SAU Community

R32 Gts+t Daily/street

On the way back from the track day i thought the car felt a little less responsive and noticed it has making less peak boost. There was also a slightly different intake noise(although this could be due to having a helmet on all day getting used to the sound).

none the less the next day i decided to do a boost leak test and a compression test to see if anything was drastically wrong there.

Nothing from the boost leak test and the compression test returned even results as seen below.
20%2009%2016_zps2cfd8rjc.jpg

At this point i though putting it on the dyno to have it checked was a good idea. As you can see below the fuel pump was no longer keeping up and it had started to lean out in higher revs. (dotted lines from initial tune in January, Solid lines from the check up)

IMG_6004_zpsq5jcqeoo.jpg

I bought a new Bosch 044 pump and filter to replace the Walbro 255lph pump. replaced it in the car park then got it back on to the dyno.
IMG_6005_zpslvhtzfff.jpg

IMG_6010_zpsedmhcxcj.jpg

IMG_6008_zpszz5xi87q.jpg

after tune touched up for new fuel pump compared to the initial tune in January. now makes 282kw 
:blink:

IMG_6018_zpswhxe6pga.jpg

video of the dyno run

13 hours ago, G3TFKD said:

Awesome thread mate. Great to see builds still happening.

I wanted to ask what you used to make the videos you had on the track with all the g-force stuff etc?

thanks mate. Project cars are never ending haha.

I use "Harry's LapTimer" there are various versions which allow control of multiple cameras for synced video and even data from driver input if car is compatible. Not cheap but works really well http://www.gps-laptimer.de/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

so after the most recent track day i noticed some oil coming from somewhere under the motor.

traced it to the turbo  oil drain.... 15977536_10155885941179896_2672159512260

so lucky there wasn't a fire with a split like this. Went down to Vulcan and had this stainless oil drain made up.

16002837_10158006795850534_7741964172253

• 3 months later...

So my car sounded like a tractor and was even laggier than it had been before :7_sweat_smile:.

so i went pre turbo exhaust size boost leak hunting. using a bit of vacuum hose and a funnel held up to my ear.

ear_trumpet_edit_zps3op4tacu.jpg

i found it. this was the included MLS one that came with the Kando turbo. safe to say it did not like the boost.

17577855_10156199552839896_65110743_n_zp

17671266_10156199552834896_1072678113_n_

replaced it with a new permaseal MLS one and put it all back together.

it is now much better to drive than i ever remember it being. so wondering if this gasket started to fail on the dyno...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 0:37 PM, DaymoR32 said:

RB25 Neo?

you are correct! feel lame saying goodbye to the trusty 20 and downgrading to a 25 but i am all about the area under the curve.

On 8/15/2017 at 2:33 PM, Fr3akyR33 said:

Jesus, this build thread is awesome man. Keep up the good work and I'm glad to see the car back after the crash, I was quite devastated after seeing it  

thanks. feedback like this is what inspires me to keep updating and moving on it

10 hours ago, CRSKmD said:

you are correct! feel lame saying goodbye to the trusty 20 and downgrading to a 25 but i am all about the area under the curve.

Yay! I'll be keeping my eye on this a hell of a lot more from now on!

20 hours ago, vxsr33 said:

Sweet build thread, i just read the whole thing
280rwkw with an rb20 is impressive, and some people say they are crap motors.

yeah it has been bullet proof for the almost 2 years its been running at ~280kw.

11 hours ago, DaymoR32 said:

Yay! I'll be keeping my eye on this a hell of a lot more from now on!

haha i shall try not to disappoint 

8 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

How much for the 20?

i think someone has already called dibs but if not ill post it up here when im ready to pull it out

• 3 weeks later...

As some of you maybe have noticed in previous track video there was a constant beeping. This was the sound of my oil temp gauge hitting 120C after 2 laps.

With a track day booked in it was time to fix that problem.
now i wanted to mount it as far away from the ground as possible after some antics i have had at Tailem Bend.

this is the kit i ended up with. A GReddy Trust GREX unit with in built thermostat as well as a Trust core.
dPDK45b.jpg

Here is the space i have to work with.
9bHnDTI.jpg

zwbKFDm.jpg

I decided to move a few things plus massage a bit with friendly MR. Hammer to fit the core here.

LAMRcUX.jpg

Test fitted the lines some may end up being shortened before the final fitting.

voe40hI.jpg

X9Q6pFb.jpg

As you can see, not heaps of room but its in and safe from being smashed on the ground. Plus my AC is still good to go:3_grin:

6jh8pBY.jpg

Next up i needed to make some brackets. I found some steel bicycle pannier rack brackets which I modified to fit. The long slot allowed me some adjustment.

Ip6k7F4.jpg

WbaAlzk.jpg

Here are the brackets attached.

W4uy8SK.jpg

Then came the bracket for the thermo filter block. I re purposed what I think was the crossover pipe bracket (?) not 100% sure on that have a shelf full of bits and bobs.

X0Z3LGf.jpg

yxWSSeD.jpg

and thats were I stopped with that for now. Need to order a few more fittings and modify the lines i have to suit.

but until then i'm going to be rolling with my "fake" oil cooler kit. Maybe ill grab an 'interfooler' to match:rofl:

Edited by CRSKmD
typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So with the oil cooler in and having just spectated at Mallala Matsuri. I made the last minute decision to head out to the September Drift Prac. Now the last time i have done any proper drifting would ahve been ~2013 at Tailem bend in one of Michelmore's "Drift Techniques" school days....

got some fresh tyres, at $55 each it seemed pointless to go for scrappies
 dnkxmxT.jpg

Went out with a mate in his onevia.

pM2jqQY.jpg

Entered the novice group and got queued up. The first session was good spun a few times but started to get the hang of it

ntEHXW8.jpg

Second session rolls around and..

M9tRMY2.jpg

ZZ7JWWu.jpg

Easy fix. blew off the cooler pipe behind the bar. fixed that and headed out for the next session.

Now you know when people say "Don't drift the straight while you're learning" ? yeah well I got over confident coming out of the esses and drifted the straight. Made it about 1/2 way down going side to side when the car spun and I went backwards towards the wall.. and the wet grass. My dash cam captured the moment of impact and it looks like the suspension was loaded up and then released. I was at full lock on limiter when it unloaded and spun the car. 

shit happens.

a9hcWtc.jpg

went back in and had a sit down for a few minutes then figured f**k it, the damage is done and i had paid for the whole night. I headed back out. The first lap out on the way to lining up i managed to collect a bird which ripped my GTR lip off.

Yes that is bird goo. Yet f**k it attitude continued and I had a solid few sessions before close.

7KRk9YF.jpg

On the last session i was hitting ~27psi boost came in and checked it out.

mBQRqDC.jpg

The nipple for the gate had snapped off and was in the vacuum line

FYqc3UC.jpg

Collected my Lip from the marshals.

Then drove back home and stopped for an AB on O'Connell St with my mate