SAU Community

R32 Gts+t Daily/street

On 10/15/2017 at 3:45 PM, iruvyouskyrine said:

That is very strange that the nipple clean snapped off! Sucks to see you take a hit with the car but saying f**k it and getting back out there is the best attitude to have! Were you happy with your driving?

yeah never seen that happen. and not get me started on trying (and failing )to remove it.

Pretty rusty with the drift stuff but i had a good time and improved throughout the night. I been doing more grip days recently

Next morning I went out to assess the damage. The hit had managed to push the rear edge of the 1/4 in and crease it right back to the fuel cap area.

CA2MmCh.jpg

Bd52ckT.jpg

2TBSgBM.jpg

n8l460a.jpg

kDKqlnm.jpg

I spent the next few days getting quotes to have it repaired. I finally settled on a one and below are the results.

nsCGfDR.jpg

tfzE9XJ.jpg

IdP5wBg.jpg

HP5izoI.jpg

ldjuELi.jpg

X3j5vfI.jpg

ttocGvK.jpg

Repair work 10/10. mostly metal fixed with minimal bog

Colour match..? well not perfect they did repaint the fuel flap for me after this picture was taken so it blend nicer. But as i found when i did the GTR front matching the colour of my car without a code was very difficult. The whole car needs a full respray anyway as it currently is 50 shades of blue.

MtaP3OU.jpg

Also at some point during drift prac i had ripped the exhaust hangers off the exhaust leaving two nice little holes.

MwLs6VE.jpg

7GiL2kU.jpg

Quickly patched up by Vulcan Fabrication

HD6JezE.jpg

cSJNeCX.jpg

Edited by CRSKmD
  • Like 2

With the car fixed up i headed out to the Might Car Mods Nationals 2017 - Adelaide event out at Mallala.

Rainy start to the day

fQCMskN.jpg

but it quickly cleared up. track wheels on and ready to go out

BKS3lSa.jpg

oMzfxf2.jpg

Y66zpgr.jpg

omkU5Eq.jpg

GEqaXbS.jpg

good mix of cars

gmdCQTk.jpg

C4CgeDD.jpg

Full session video from the day with high quality Raw Audio. Good fun day with all the cars out.

bonus few pictures of the daily.

pGMpexQ.jpg

Daihatsu baaaatttleeee

jo5q8e4.jpg

Konaz1u.jpg

Daihatsu video. listen to that 3cyl go

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After fixing the car and sorting out the waste gate which involved getting a whole new lower section and completely tearing down the gate. I was only making ~16psi peak with a very slow build with it only reaching 16psi at 6500rpm with the current boost controller settings. my theory is that the diaphragm was never sealing correctly as boost control was always touchy and the settings on the Profec had been rather low compared to what was expected.

I took it out to the freeway do do a few pulls and try and get the settings to give a better boost response curve and peak boost.

I got it pretty close but wanted it to be checked out on the dyno just to be sure. 

As it turned out the Leaky gate and possibly the T3 gasket (depending when it went) I replaced a few pages back hard some solid response and power gains.

The biggest difference is the old peak torque of 430nm is being hit and passed ~1250rpm sooner!

power is coming on about 300rpm sooner across the rev range with a higher peak.

boost is much snappier and on at 4500rpm exactly. which is still a touch laggier than my original hopes before i bought the turbo but a noticeable difference in the butt dyno.

Power/Torque

YXh4iRG.jpg

Boost

K5N2tXp.jpg

Better pictures of the newest dyno sheets

d8GvQE2.jpg

UR3J9KQ.jpg

• Like 2

Time to give the brakes some attention

bought some new fluid to do a full flush
F8lJ4XR.jpg

and some HEL braided lines. These were actually for an R32 GTR but more or less fit the GTS-T. More later on this.

OhGbdhU.jpg

went to take the stock rubber and hardline to caliper off when this happened. It was already kinked from being stretched a bit far from more lock and re positioned calipers.

FL8oLCV.jpg

the nut on the caliper was completely rounded and i tried a few things to get it out including multigrips and an easy out. none of which worked. The solution was to heat it up with a big ol' soldering iron

E9x5FUM.jpg

the have another go at it with an easy out while also clamping the nut with some vice grips

RaIAqaN.jpg

braided line fitted up

oyymQ3U.jpg.

now as mentioned earlier the GTR lines fit but not exactly. When fitting the front lines to the car the GTR kit came with P clips which obviously don't fit the normal locations or secure the lines at all.

WuwCdQg.jpg

to fix this i found some wiring grommets

tiETvJM.jpg

these fit snuggley in the stock mounting location

dadz2sE.jpg

with just enough room to slid the stock clips in (backwards) to further secure them.

Xmcwaog.jpg

it was then a simple case of slitting the grommets to get them over the lines and fitting it all up

03rciaI.jpg

Bled the brakes up and took it for a test drive and checked where the mounting solution held on. Which they did!

Edited by CRSKmD
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

With rego running out i figured it was a good excuse to take it off the road and begin the RB25DET Neo swap. But before that happened i headed out and with the help of my girlfriend put together this video while it was still a 290kw RB20 powered thing.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Removed most things from the engine bay and taped up anything that i didnt want to get wet. From here I started de-griming.
None of these pictures have had any paint. Just a damn good scrub.

I started by spraying with heavy duty de-greaser. Let sit for a few minutes and agitated with a paint brush then scrubbed the more stubbon bits with an old scotchbrite pad from the kitchen. Sprayed off with water. then wiped down with an old microfiber cloth. Repeated as needed

3lmMFlI.jpg

eG6myQG.jpg

R7So8Ir.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I attacked the rust then covered with some kill rust before hitting the whole bay with Primer

yMkBaLQ.jpg

jHcpzzc.jpg

gave the whole thing a rub down and clean before laying down the first layer of base coat.

i practiced first on the Cam covers which accepted the black base nicely.

Moved onto the bay when this happened...

whole bay was cleaned with soap then rinsed off and wiped down with wax/grease remover and thoroughly dried before painting.

Unfortunately i managed to get a light coating over the whole bay and had just completed my first wet coat before it started to show.

PBImHCo.jpg

Talking to a painter i knew. Apparently the factory bay paint is acrylic and can be a bit touchy with high solvent content acrylic paints. My base was 2:1 paint:thinners.

as i was set up and i the cam covers black had gone on fine i continued the process as i only had a short window to get all coats on for it to work properly

YGCPFV6.jpg

VbndUL2.jpg

as for the Bay this mean going back to square 1 (or -1 as the case may be). The sizzled paint was not easy to get off and had eaten its way down a few layers. The whole process of taking back the paint set me back about 2 days. The black base was much harder to sand that the factory paint had been.

bMhtu4e.jpg

Etch primered and the reprimed with a paint that i trusted.

Azlt10C.jpg

First layer of paint (base coat black)

daMXnbr.jpg

Intercoat of Clear base mixed with a powder Pink/Purple pearl

wikgJDE.jpg

pearl over black

8tXNU3u.jpg

CRm1P9e.jpg

2k Clear

U2Znm0F.jpg

RUe5fa2.jpg

some close ups

QLX3gjm.jpg

oAASmxB.jpg

for my first time painting with pearl in a 3 layer job im pretty proud of what i managed to accomplish! the photos simply do not do the paint justice

Edited by CRSKmD
  • Like 11

18 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

That looks awesome. Good work!

Cheers mate!

16 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Yep that looks absolutely rad. More info on the paint used? Cheers

the paint after primer is as follows:

1. base was just a plain black automotive acrylic 

2. clear base coat (intercoat) mixed with Purple-Pink Nightshade Candy pearl powder from Paint With Pearl

3. 2k Clear with fast activator 

ieHMmim.jpg

f4rhXYo.jpg

the paint with pearl people have a whole lot of interesting additives like glow in the dark and thermal active paints that i wouldn't mind checking out at some point!

I picked up some parts including a new 10cm turbine housing to give the little TD05H-18g a bit more room up the top, Gate timing belt and GMB water pump along with associated seals.

nttugEd.jpg

cam seals and front main seal in. The front main seal was a pain for some reason and when pushing it in the retaining spring would pop out. managed to get around this by cutting up an old rattlecan lid to made a guide tube.

930UYKs.jpg

unfortunately the water pump was incorrect. Even though i specified RB25DET neo R34 on ordering.

y3JPAB3.jpg

HXScoIo.jpg

i got a WP898 which is for RB30, RB20 and early RB26 from what i have found.
Note the slotted vs single hole. some people have said they left out the top mounting bolt with no issues but im not about that. thankfully i contacted the company and they have already sent out the correct pump at no charge.

8cm vs 10cm turbine housings

jBH4f91.jpg

PkgnYiG.jpg

uCbEORi.jpg

10cm installed

ZVtM9a6.jpg

also gave the compressor housing a scrub up while it was off

2nvjeLH.jpg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, jmknights93 said:

Looking good man ! Keep up with the great posts.

cheers mate! i will continue to update as this progresses

17 hours ago, Jordy32 said:

Looks so good! Painting the rest of the car?

i was tempted to paint the car at the same time. but if it was being painted i might as well widebody and if.... yeah nah not gonna let this snowball anymore haha.

Motor, Loom, ECU and painted bay is enough for one hit

Got the manifold back from ceramic coat. decided to do it right this time and piss off the heat wrap.

Had it done at Ceramic Coat Australia who do the coating for PaceMaker. no pictures of the process but they blast it with an aluminium medium bead blaster. Then the ceramic coat goes on follow by being baked.

Y3K9PSv.jpg

800qIID.jpg

that collector though

YW7QMVd.jpg

nUXZjN8.jpg

mock fitted up

47G7Cbu.jpg

• Like 1

Got the correct water pump in. I was shocked from the customer service level of the online store

They even sent me the correct one straight away before asking me to send back the wrong one and they said they will refund the return shipping.

new water pump, idlers and timing belt fitted. yes it was all TDC when put on i had just cranked it over a few time to get the correct tension as per the service manual.

kbczl0k.jpg

Timing cover that came with the car was pretty yeah nah

fxaD2I2.jpg

so picked up a nice fresh one

qPI2LbW.jpg

i also sanded back the lettering on the RB20 coilpack cover

bZaI83q.jpg

qfXaO39.jpg

• Like 1