SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

2 minutes ago, acsplit said:

If he wants 1000+hp which I can assume is for drag racing or E-Fame probably should go and look at garret or PTE

Or twin EFR7163s because someone needs to be a guinea pig :D 

The fact he asked "too big" suggests he hopes for it to still be usable to some degree.  Having said that, again it depends on what you can live with.  I've done a reasonable amount of driving with a stock stroke R32 GT-R with a T51R SPL and I could live with it as a weekend car, even if I'd still rather be able to have it stand up by 4000rpm.  Or 5000rpm.  Or even really anything under 6000 lol

45 minutes ago, Lithium said:

Or twin EFR7163s because someone needs to be a guinea pig :D 

The fact he asked "too big" suggests he hopes for it to still be usable to some degree.  Having said that, again it depends on what you can live with.  I've done a reasonable amount of driving with a stock stroke R32 GT-R with a T51R SPL and I could live with it as a weekend car, even if I'd still rather be able to have it stand up by 4000rpm.  Or 5000rpm.  Or even really anything under 6000 lol

This is true it's all relative, while us tree stump pullers (RB30+ owners) may not live with less than 250 kw below 5000rpm others will love the feeling when it comes on...

Remember RB20 owners still think TD06's are responsive on RB20's... @Roy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

It should make just over 1000hp @ crank on E85 with an EFR9180 without overspeeding it IMHO, but definitely worth investing in a turbine speed sensor if you're going to push it.  I'd actually consider an EFR9174 with a 1.45a/r housing and be slightly restrained with cams (ie, stay away from near 280s) at this point - @Full-Race Geoff?  Any thoughts?

I agree with everything you wrote.  But, 1000flywheel HP on a 9180 is going to be damn close to overspeed and possibly fail the EFR9180.  Based on my experience, twin 7163 is my vote anytime 850+HP is the target.  The RB twin EFR kit is one of the best kits we offer, but I do not expect anyone to take my word for it. 

15 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

If I could have my time again and wanted a 7670 I would get the internal gate one. Mainly for piping reasons.  I stupidly wanted EWG because the housing was bigger and wanted everything to be less hot, and I thought I could re-use my 45mm as a single. The IWG is probably just fine for 99% of people, I don't know if there's enough results to compare same turbo, same engine, IWG vs Single Gate vs Twin gate yet

I use IWG for my personal builds.  Much cleaner/simpler/less complex/less weight etc.  It does have its drawbacks, but unless its a dedicated competition vehicle i think IWG has merit

17 hours ago, ironmcl said:

Built rb25 on e85 looking for 400kw roughly - Thinking EFR7670 t4 1.05a/r ewg.   Just a street car with a bit of fun at roll racing, drags, powercruise etc.  Anyone know a off the shelf manifold that would suit? Or is fabrication always going to be required?  Also, waste gate selection? 2x40mm gates should suffice or would you go 45mm?

Considering a 2.5L RB25 targetting 400kw (536hp) - EFR7670 is a tiny bit small.  It might acheive your objective, but will likely depend on the cylinder head and cam.  The EFR8374 is a comparable turbo go GT35R and an airflow rate that can more easily hit the power target

9 hours ago, Griffin said:

changed my r34  diffs to 4.11s and couldn't be happier.

agreed, i absolutely love R34 6speed gearing with the 4.111 final drive.  feels like my evo

1 hour ago, acsplit said:

If he wants 1000+hp which I can assume is for drag racing or E-Fame probably should go and look at garret or PTE

garrett and pte (turbonetics) both offer a number of higher airflow rates.  We also have the 72mm and 76mm SXE available from the drag racing lineup..  However twin EFR is another animal entirely

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

Or twin EFR7163s

^^^this

Edited by Full-Race Geoff
  • Like 1

The 1000hp project is a tb48 engine unrelated to this topic.

I'm currently running an s362 on an n1 rb26 with 264 cams on e85. Tossing up between an efr 8374 or efr 9180 and fabricate a new manifold to suit. 

The turbo I'm using now is iwg which is not ideal as the two ports are way too small so cannot control boost properly giving a lazy boost curve. 

Was going to convert to ewg and open the ports up to get the boost on harder earlier but may as well fit an efr.

Edited by Griffin
Typo

Ok so the key question is what are your power targets, and if they are fuzzy do you have a minimum spool requirement?  You really are not giving useful information to work with, don't expect too much useful input until you do 

I think I'm making around 8 psi by 3500 rpm which could be improved with proper boost control however I'd be happy with similar response with a big efr and much more power. Not chasing numbers but am running 27 psi now so will stick to that as a max. 

I know an efr 8374 will be better all round but will a 9180 match the response I have now but make an extra 100 kw or so? I'm currently around 400 wkw on relatively high boost. With standard rb25 exhaust manifold on rb26.

Right!!  This is much more helpful :D  I am assuming this is on E85?

In my opinion going for a 9180 and hoping to make any decent use of in on a stock exhaust manifold is crazy.  Even with an S362/8374 it's not what I'd personally recommend.   I think that manifold will cause you issues way before you get into "should a 9180 be worth considering" territory - if you really want to put an EFR on the stock exhaust manifold, then the .83a/r T3 EFR8374 seems like the one.

As I said if I go efr I'll fabricate a decent manifold. I'm probably at the limit of stock manifold now. So I won't bother fitting an efr to standard manifold.

So where do you think I stand with a 9180 efr?

E85 is correct.

Edited by Griffin
Typo

12 hours ago, acsplit said:

This is true it's all relative, while us tree stump pullers (RB30+ owners) may not live with less than 250 kw below 5000rpm others will love the feeling when it comes on...

Remember RB20 owners still think TD06's are responsive on RB20's... @Roy

I have enough coordination to dip the clutch and change gears if engine is our of power band. Far simpler than spending 30k on engine and turbo setup!

• Like 4

These turbos are the best f**kin turbos ever in the market and in a big turbo guy but the 7163s are insanse and I had a mp2 r34gtr fully built tomei greddy and all on low boost this bitch hauled on high boost it didn't wanna stop ovisly have to uprgrade bbk time then but I sold the car and upgraded to nur r34s

On 5/16/2017 at 4:57 PM, iruvyouskyrine said:

FYI sparesbox.com.au are having a 20% off storewide sale that ends today, that includes the EFR range. I just picked up a EFR 6758 with G type rear housing ( T4 TS .80 A/R IWG) for $2200

I have been and know of someone else screwed by Sparesbox.  Make sure they actually stock what they sell. 

Very hard to contact also. I

I'd give them a miss .

Is fullrace the best place to buy efr housings from?

I have been and know of someone else screwed by Sparesbox.  Make sure they actually stock what they sell. 
Very hard to contact also. I
I'd give them a miss .
Is fullrace the best place to buy efr housings from?

More info please? They have been excellent so far in my experience. Have called them 2 times and were helpful both times, and they are quick to reply to emails. I knew they didn't have stock when I purchased but I am happy to wait when I paid ~$900 less than retail

56 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

More info please? They have been excellent so far in my experience. Have called them 2 times and were helpful both times, and they are quick to reply to emails. I knew they didn't have stock when I purchased but I am happy to wait when I paid ~$900 less than retail

I have always bought my oils through Sparebox, always quick deliveries, no drama :)