SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

great thread mate, and very interesting work. thanks for sharing it. there is one simple little comparison I'd love you to do if you can. next time you fill up on e85 fill the tank full and re-set your trip meter. then when you go back fill it full again, read off how many kms you travelled and you can do a quick ltrs/100km figure. then try the same with PULP (if you ever use it again). XXXkms to a tank is a big vague as you have no real way to tell how much fuel is left in the tank and I don't even know how many ltrs a GTST tank holds! I'd love to know the ltrs/100km figures and it would add one more usefull figure to your so far very thorough investigations. :dry:

Good luck with the test this arvo.

great thread mate, and very interesting work. thanks for sharing it. there is one simple little comparison I'd love you to do if you can. next time you fill up on e85 fill the tank full and re-set your trip meter. then when you go back fill it full again, read off how many kms you travelled and you can do a quick ltrs/100km figure. then try the same with PULP (if you ever use it again). XXXkms to a tank is a big vague as you have no real way to tell how much fuel is left in the tank and I don't even know how many ltrs a GTST tank holds! I'd love to know the ltrs/100km figures and it would add one more usefull figure to your so far very thorough investigations. :dry:

Good luck with the test this arvo.

And also to add to this, price paid for both.. well really just teh e85 as i have no idea how much it goes for.

:P

I was watching something on TV last night about e85 and ethanol, and how Brazilian cars MUST use a min of 25% and they have 100% available!

They say that people in Australia are scared to run the stuff, everone i have told about it have said "i wouldn't use it" thats just crap, is this country really full of knuckle dragging bogans who are soo scared of change they have to be sooo stubborn to new ideas?

That black box you mention is worth $800!!! I think the Gov needs to back e85, Mr Rudd is soo keen on this emissions bullshit you would think he could offer some kind of subsudy to make the fuel cheaper for the first 5 years to get it kicked off and get everyone converted to e85 which will help his emissions cause by a crap load!

Interestingly Holden were exporting VT or VX Commodores to Brazil at the begining of the decade. Changes were limited to upgraded fuel lines and a different engine map. So 5 years ago E25 was a no brainer...

E85 motors are commonly available in the US from 4 cylinder Focus up to 6.2l V8 GM engines, hence the E85 badges on the Holden's at Sydney Motor Show. This is promoted as an emissions saver, as well as a way of reducing the reliance on oil. E20 is the new buzzword in Thailand, as a way of reducing emissions as well..

Good on you for having the bottle to try something different... Now if Toyota came out with a E100 or E85 Camry, rather than that Hybrid marketing exercise... then people might take more notice...

Was in Brazil 13 years ago and drove a E100 VW Voyager, or something like that... Carb engine, started like a pig, but ran all day. Owner said that the only real issue was having to regularly drain the water traps in the fuel system.

His joke was that his car ran on Alcohol..

Like the driver.... :D

PASSED!!!!

Were you expecting anything else ?

The guy did not let me take ANY photos, did not let me anywhere near the car when doing the tests. I was not even allowed to watch but i sneaked in through the window and kept an eye out on the emissions Parts per million and had a massive grin going on cos i knew it was running good.

He said that from my previous test i have knocked the NOX down heaps by adding more fuel to the test. I would have done HEAPS better again if i had of cleaned up the tune to be leaner when comming on boost because during my tests it did not go anywhere near boost, he must have been giving it a damn good flooring to get the turbo to spool up so early to go into those parts of the map, so even after hitting those parts of the map the rest of the tune was soo clean on emissions it still passed as IM240 is a average drive cycle test so a average is added up at the end of the test and thats how you get your results.

I learnt alot from today even though he did not let me watch, he did however answer all the questions that i had for him that I was wondering when I was doing the IM240 cycle tests on the dyno last weekend.

I am pretty confident i will be able to get any car to pass. Reason being is mine passed by a pretty fair amount and I used a absolute rubbish cat converter.

So yeah.. another win for me :D Who's next?

bring me a car that can tune that much power and il tune it sure :)

The consumpion was 13.5 litres per hundred on both the tests, the last test with 98 was 12.5 litre per hundred.

ohh you can tell the difference in the first and second test fromt he CAT, and how bad quality it is because it took AGES for it to heat up as well. If i had of used the same CAT i used last time then there would have been massive different results.

ME!

Make my car 340kws first... :laugh:

Well done man, knew you would do it... :D

any more improvements to be made?

PASSED!!!!

Were you expecting anything else ?

The guy did not let me take ANY photos, did not let me anywhere near the car when doing the tests. I was not even allowed to watch but i sneaked in through the window and kept an eye out on the emissions Parts per million and had a massive grin going on cos i knew it was running good.

He said that from my previous test i have knocked the NOX down heaps by adding more fuel to the test. I would have done HEAPS better again if i had of cleaned up the tune to be leaner when comming on boost because during my tests it did not go anywhere near boost, he must have been giving it a damn good flooring to get the turbo to spool up so early to go into those parts of the map, so even after hitting those parts of the map the rest of the tune was soo clean on emissions it still passed as IM240 is a average drive cycle test so a average is added up at the end of the test and thats how you get your results.

I learnt alot from today even though he did not let me watch, he did however answer all the questions that i had for him that I was wondering when I was doing the IM240 cycle tests on the dyno last weekend.

I am pretty confident i will be able to get any car to pass. Reason being is mine passed by a pretty fair amount and I used a absolute rubbish cat converter.

So yeah.. another win for me :P Who's next?

Dude you're awesome. :laugh:

Do you think there is potenial for Aftermarket ECU's becoming legal if used in an E85 application?

Do you think a 600hp GTR could now be engineered as legal if it could pass emission tests on E85?

We can't get E85 in WA yet but i'd give it a shot when we do.

I've modified my car to a point where i can enjoy driving on the street for fear of being defected. I'd either have to drop the old setup back in or B class rego it. Neither i want to do. But i'd be keen to get the car engineered if i knew i could pass the emissions test, that has to be the biggest hurdle to engineering high mount turbo's etc.

Congrats on the good work, well done.

excellent results mate.

I am going to do the same with the stock R32 ecu as soon as the fuel is readily available in melbourne. have you had the plugs out since you have been doing testing? i have found a plug 1 heat range easier to start. it starts like it is on petrol. and you are less prone to detonation because of the mon and ron rating.

I have also noticed the different note the exhaust gives.

Dude you're awesome. :P

Do you think there is potenial for Aftermarket ECU's becoming legal if used in an E85 application?

Do you think a 600hp GTR could now be engineered as legal if it could pass emission tests on E85?

We can't get E85 in WA yet but i'd give it a shot when we do.

I've modified my car to a point where i can enjoy driving on the street for fear of being defected. I'd either have to drop the old setup back in or B class rego it. Neither i want to do. But i'd be keen to get the car engineered if i knew i could pass the emissions test, that has to be the biggest hurdle to engineering high mount turbo's etc.

Congrats on the good work, well done.

Anthony said he'd be confident rocking up for a test in our car. He thinks anything can now be passed. I hope you don't force them to re-write the laws due to your expertise.

Victory ? Tastes good. most people are scared of emissions tests (as i was) but when there is a will there is a way.

The guy at the RTA says something along the lines of "there are only a few who can have high horse power and good emissions and you are one of them"

Love it :banana: I will never forget that

But the important question, how does it taste?

when it cannot flow a given volume of fuel at a nominated pressure

sorry, i was after a more specific answer. i mean what is the rwkw limit of the factory r32 fuel line, i think they're 8mm.

p.s. well done guilt toy, whats your next challenge going to be?

sorry, i was after a more specific answer. i mean what is the rwkw limit of the factory r32 fuel line, i think they're 8mm.

p.s. well done guilt toy, whats your next challenge going to be?

oh...ok...im running both the stock fuel feed and return lines as dual feeds and have run a new 5/8 braided line as a return...so far its been supplying 800hp worth of engine hp and is keeping up. Will be upping the ante to 1100hp at the engine and will be keeping a very close eye on this to see if its sufficient. I have the ATTESSA lines as a back up and will use them as feeds if needed and use the stock fuel feed and return as a dual return system.

Can anyone add to this who is still using a single factory feed to an engine making big power.

Edited by DiRTgarage

Interestingly Holden were exporting VT or VX Commodores to Brazil at the begining of the decade. Changes were limited to upgraded fuel lines and a different engine map. So 5 years ago E25 was a no brainer...

E85 motors are commonly available in the US from 4 cylinder Focus up to 6.2l V8 GM engines, hence the E85 badges on the Holden's at Sydney Motor Show. This is promoted as an emissions saver, as well as a way of reducing the reliance on oil. E20 is the new buzzword in Thailand, as a way of reducing emissions as well..

Good on you for having the bottle to try something different... Now if Toyota came out with a E100 or E85 Camry, rather than that Hybrid marketing exercise... then people might take more notice...

Was in Brazil 13 years ago and drove a E100 VW Voyager, or something like that... Carb engine, started like a pig, but ran all day. Owner said that the only real issue was having to regularly drain the water traps in the fuel system.

His joke was that his car ran on Alcohol..

Like the driver.... :P

That's not a joke. Ethanol is alcohol. It is the basis of commercially produced spirits. Apparently people who make their own ethanol have to put some (2%) petrol in it 'so that no one will drink it. In American Drag racing there is a class called "Top Alcohol" which is for methanol powered cars (methanol is chemically very similar to ethanol but methanol is naturally poisonous so undrinkable).